Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

"UK death toll rises to 281

The number of people who have died from coronavirus in the UK now stands at 281 - a rise of 48 - the government has said.

There are now 5,683 confirmed cases in the UK - a rise of 665 on Saturday."

So the fatality rate is now 5% - frightening!!

Again, very skewed figures. There is no real point in looking at % rates of fatalities when policy is not to test until in serious condition. 

The wave of covid tests coming to market in next few weeks suggests that widespread testing will be rolled out, expect the infected tolls to absolutely soar but the fatality %age to fall considerably. 

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Sure the US are comprehensively testing though. Their figures may be higher, but they are likely more accurate as well. 

They're way behind on testing after refusing foreign WHO recommended kits.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They're way behind on testing after refusing foreign WHO recommended kits.

Fair enough. They will still be testing at a higher rate and more widespread (ie, not just the critically I'll) than most other countries though, so will most certainly have higher increases. 

Edited by djchapsticks

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

No, but it will make someone else think those things are ok.

If there are people who think ‘if it’s OK to go out for a walk, then it’s OK to go to the boozer’, then sorry, I’m not responsible for the actions of such bellends. I have read a few posts here today basically saying we should simply stay indoors, completely, unless in an absolute emergency - medicines, shopping, new calculator batteries for Granny Danger.

I strongly disagree with that. I raised the point a day or so ago about outdoor places like the Kelpies or Falkirk Wheel possibly attracting large(ish) numbers of people. Well-meaning people, but still a likely gathering ‘hot spot’. I intend to avoid such places, but I will simply keep going out for a quiet stroll in relatively quiet areas, if the weather plays ball. I will observe social distancing while out strolling around quietly.

I don't know of any pubs in Dundee that are open. There's been a suggestion on Twitter that a few are doing lock-ins but when pressed, the people mooring this don't know the pubs in question.

Gonna be difficult to monitor such behaviour without a complete lockdown, which won't happen.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Fair enough. They will still be testing at a higher rate than more other countries though, so will most certainly have higher increases. 

The number of cases doesn't really matter anymore. The virus is out.

What matters is slowing the spread by staying away from other people in order to lessen the burden on the health system.

Stay at home.

Pozbaird - I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying (I don't have enough detail to know either way), but your "whatevah, I do what I want!" attitude to it is a lot closer to those mutants in that Greenock boozer yesterday than I think you realise.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If there are people who think ‘if it’s OK to go out for a walk, then it’s OK to go to the boozer’, then sorry, I’m not responsible for the actions of such bellends.

Sorry, I just totally disagree, and the experience of other countries further down the line than the UK shows that you're wrong about this.

Carrying on with activities like this makes some people doubt the severity of the situation and leads them to do dangerous things like visit a mate, or go to a pub lock-in, or have a birthday party for their kid. This spreads the virus and lessens the impact of all the people doing the right thing.

The messages cannot be mixed. It doesn't work. It needs to be black and white.

Like it or not, you are visible to other people in society and some will take a mistaken cue from you.

It's a team sport, and you should assume the worst of those around you and behave accordingly. Like I said before, this is what has been seen in countries further down the line than the UK.

Stay at home.

Now I'm confused.  On one hand I'm being told to stay home (where I normally work) and be an anti-social git, and on the other Nicola is telling me that "life shouldn't feel normal right now".  Make up your bloody mind.

5 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

The number of cases doesn't really matter anymore. The virus is out.

What matters is slowing the spread by staying away from other people in order to lessen the burden on the health system.

Stay at home.

Okay, but can I do some gardening?

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Again, very skewed figures. There is no real point in looking at % rates of fatalities when policy is not to test until in serious condition. 

The wave of covid tests coming to market in next few weeks suggests that widespread testing will be rolled out, expect the infected tolls to absolutely soar but the fatality %age to fall considerably. 

Good points and I hope you are right.

Just now, JTS98 said:

Sorry, I just totally disagree, and the experience of other countries further down the line than the UK shows that you're wrong about this.

Carrying on with activities like this makes some people doubt the severity of the situation and leads them to do dangerous things like visit a mate, or go to a pub lock-in, or have a birthday party for their kid. This spreads the virus and lessens the impact of all the people doing the right thing.

The messages cannot be mixed. It doesn't work. It needs to be black and white.

Like it or not, you are visible to other people in society and some will take a mistaken cue from you.

It's a team sport, and you should assume the worst of those around you and behave accordingly. Like I said before, this is what has been seen in countries further down the line than the UK.

Stay at home.

Carrying on with activities like going out for a walk? Are you listening to the live Prime Minister address right now? He has just encouraged people to go outside for walks, to aid physical and mental wellbeing. To be fair to him, he re-inforced the point about social distancing.

You stay at home 100% if you want.

Important stuff to do tomorrow and a visit to the local Asda is a must, a visit to the city center of Inverness is another. Should be an interesting experience.

Take photos. I’m keen to know how many corpses are lining the streets.