Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Doesn't really matter how many they put out or what they give them. Any military presence sends a message. It'll jolt the public.
Listening to what's come out from the government, I think they're moving towards the point of being prepared to do something very tough. They're clearly very concerned.

It does matter, if you cant enforce the law then its daft. We dont have the cell capacity, man power etc to cover a lock down in the way youre suggesting. Its a consequence of the type of society we have, not a criticism of our way of life but you cant make quick wholesale changes overnight and expect it to work.

Guest JTS98
4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It does matter, if you cant enforce the law then its daft. We dont have the cell capacity, man power etc to cover a lock down in the way youre suggesting. Its a consequence of the type of society we have, not a criticism of our way of life but you cant make quick wholesale changes overnight and expect it to work.

I don't think you'd have to. Same as Malaysia's jails are not suddenly over-flowing with arrested joggers. People have stopped jogging because they know the police or military might be around and they're not allowed to.

People get the message when you send them the right signals. What the UK has at the moment is mixed messages. Practice social distancing and keep away from others, but, aye, you can still go out and do some normal things. That doesn't work, we've seen that repeatedly.

Also, there's no suggestion people would actually be locked up now. They'd be dealt with when this has passed. Fines are also on the table.

Edited by JTS98

50 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There aren't anything like enough soldiers or police to enforce a nationwide lockdown, you need cooperation and trust from the public, and shaming shooting for those who ignore the advice.

Oh, you said there weren't enough soldiers...

I’ll be out for a walk tomorrow. Not telling you where, need to keep it quiet to aid my social distancing chances. Funny, planning to go out for a walk doesn’t make me think a pub lockdown is my next natural step. Doesn’t make me think it’s OK to gather in a big crowd. Simply makes me think it’s OK to go out for a quiet walk somewhere relatively quiet. To keep moving, to get some sun on my face, to get some fresh air. This is likely to be the extent of my entire outdoor life for goodness knows how long. Two activities. Walking around, or walking to the nearest shop and back. If anyone has a problem with this, let someone else know. 🙂

Edited by pozbaird

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Funny, planning to go out for a walk doesn’t make me think a pub lockdown is my next natural step. Doesn’t make me think it’s OK to gather in a big crowd.

No, but it will make someone else think those things are ok.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Romeo said:

Said on the BBC Scottish news that some of the pubs that remain open will continue to do so unless legal forced to close.

Utter weapon behaviour. Anyone know of any of these pubs?

This is the result of mixed messages.

Stay at home. Remove doubt.

Drastic measures in Germany according to the BBC

"Germany bans meetings of more than two people

Germany has announced further measures to try to curb the spread of coronavirus, banning meetings of more than two people outside work and home for at least two weeks."

36 minutes ago, Donathan said:

If this is done all that happens is the problem is pushed into the future and rears its ugly head in a few months

Hundreds of thousands of deaths in the UK is inevitable

I wouldn't go so far as saying inevitable. 

Buying several months could be key. 

While a full market ready vaccine won't be ready for some time, it's worth remembering there are also several drugs in developmental stages with the view to reduce the effects and onward transmission of the virus. There are also several existing drugs that are being clinically trialled specifically against the virus to see how it affects it. The buying of several months could be key here. 

The virus itself, like all viruses, is constantly mutating too. There is a possibility that over time, it could evolve to become less aggressive but equally infectious.

There is already a disputed study (due to small sample sizes taken by those conducting it) that this has already happened to an extent and there is an aggressive 'L' strain and a much less aggressive 'S' strain. 

46 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Back at home in the borders and it's frightening how many folk are still carrying on as normal. Folk down here have a bit of an outsider, cut-off mentality at the best of times and tend to think that all that stuff on the tele doesn't apply to them and isn't aimed at them, but f**k me the amount of old folk just ignoring everything and going on as normal is going to have serious consequences soon. 

My own grandad who's 88 is still hellbent on going out and doing his shopping this week. He's generally still very bright and switched on too so it's not like he's a numpty, i just think folk from that generation don't really like being told what to do from younger family, friends etc. 

Although pictures of heaving markets in London today full of young middle class types maybe show that we're just in a country full of thickos regardless of age. Could bite us on the arse big time. 

Is that the option after the pasta and tinned goods have run out?

16 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, let's rush something onto the statute books without making sure it's as legally watertight as possible...

They don't need to rush it, they've had months to do it. 

Large part of the problem is people expecting themselves to be the only ones somewhere (which they may well be), but then deciding to pop past a Spar in some Perthshire hamlet en-route only to find a bunch of other Peter Storm lovers in each other's faces.

If just 1% of folk in Edinburgh decided to hit the hills on a sunny day like today, then that's an extra 4800 people driving through places like Aberfeldy & Calendar... and that's just from one city.  Of course, everybody seems to be some form of special exception.  Grinds my gears when you hear folk coming back from holiday saying the likes of "we've been a few times but it's been ruined because too many are going now".  Aye, because you're not one of them love.  <_<

"UK death toll rises to 281

The number of people who have died from coronavirus in the UK now stands at 281 - a rise of 48 - the government has said.

There are now 5,683 confirmed cases in the UK - a rise of 665 on Saturday."

So the fatality rate is now 5% - frightening!!

30 minutes ago, The DA said:

Figures for the States out.  Most other countries' new cases rising at 5% -10% new cases day on day.  USA at 20%.

220320.PNG

Sure the US are comprehensively testing though. Their figures may be higher, but they are likely more accurate as well. 

36 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's like folk think if an activity isn't specifically banned then it's still fine to do it. Stupid arseholes.

don't think the coronavirus is going to be listening to technicalities arising from the governments advice,as people will soon discover

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

"UK death toll rises to 281

The number of people who have died from coronavirus in the UK now stands at 281 - a rise of 48 - the government has said.

There are now 5,683 confirmed cases in the UK - a rise of 665 on Saturday."

So the fatality rate is now 5% - frightening!!

No, because fewer people are getting tested, only if they get hospitalised.