Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Up 16% in one day, 64% in three days.  Exponential growth.

Don’t need to be a maths wizard to see where we will be in a fortnight if growth doesn’t slow.

ETA 3 million plus infected, 57,000 plus dead.  In Scotland.  In a fortnight.

Highly, highly unlikely in a fortnight.

I'm actually interested in how you even reached those numbers. I get that the 16% daily increase is alarming and the infected figures aren't accurate but if a 16% daily increase is dragged out over 2 weeks, it comes to less than 3,000 confirmed cases.

So I'm interested in your working of where you are pulling these numbers from.

Edited by djchapsticks

3 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I always thought 9/11 would be the defining moment of my generation.

Turn out not to be the case.

What happened on the 9th of November? 🤔

Just now, Granny Danger said:

At the growth rate explained in the article these are the figures.

Show your working, because it isn't in my calculations.

373 cases x 16% increase a day is 2,979 cases in a fortnight.

373 cases x 64% increase every 3 days is 4,425 confirmed cases in 15 days from now.

I accept this is a massive underestimation as a LOT more people have it than are confirmed but I simply can't work out a situation where you get to 3 million cases and 57,000 cases in the next two weeks. Had you said it's projected over the next 2 months if trends stay as is, I'd have been more inclined to agree.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

How long is it anticipated to take for the trends to reflect any new measure put in place?

Italy expected it in a week, then 2 weeks. They are in 12th day since measures and doesn't seem to be slowing up. 

I'd be interested in seeing a regional breakdown of Italy. The Lombardy region is taking massive hits but there's not a lot being said if the spread is being slowed or stemmed in regions of the country that weren't at the epicentre.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Show your working, because it isn't in my calculations.

373 cases x 16% increase a day is 2,979 cases in a fortnight.

373 cases x 64% increase every 3 days is 4,425 confirmed cases in 15 days from now.

I accept this is a massive underestimation as a LOT more people have it than are confirmed but I simply can't work out a situation where you get to 3 million cases and 57,000 cases in the next two weeks. Had you said it's projected over the next 2 months if trends stay as is, I'd have been more inclined to agree.

I’m going by the growth rate.  16% day one, 64% day three, 32% day two is reasonable assumption.  So the growth rate is now doubling every day.

Assuming day one is ‘1’ then by day fourteen that number is ‘8192’.

8192 x 373 (existing infections) is 3,055,616 infected.  Do the same for deaths.

ETA if social distancing/isolation cuts down transfer rates by 50% then the 3 million figure drops to under 24,000.

Edited by Granny Danger

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Italy expected it in a week, then 2 weeks. They are in 12th day since measures and doesn't seem to be slowing up. 

I'd be interested in seeing a regional breakdown of Italy. The Lombardy region is taking massive hits but there's not a lot being said if the spread is being slowed or stemmed in regions of the country that weren't at the epicentre.

Ok. Do we have an epicentre?

Also, how long with measures making no difference before the tories go tory again and start discussing taking the hit?

I see our death toll after 2 weeks matches Italy's exactly - 233. I believe they have twice the ICU bed capacity that we do. 
We have the time to prepare that they didn't though, and hopefully that'll make a difference.

They're ramping it all up good and proper in hospitals right now. It's not going to perfect, and whistle blowers and the media do need to keep pressing them - but those in charge are trying to do everything they can to get ready for this. Surely that isn't being questioned.

And then there's the concentration in lombardi. Hopefully we're a bit more spread out in our clusters (yes I'm talking Britain because I'm a yes supporter who isn't a selfish arsehole).

Scotland is even further spread out, so again that should help us up here.

Andrew Marr slagging off the blitz spirit. 

He didn't, though. Yes he pointed out that looting and thievery went up but he also emphasised that people came together. That is a historical certainty - and denying that existed is as stupid as those that think everything was rosey and easy.

No one interviewed who went through that would ever want to go through it again, and yet some right wing fannies cling to it like a golden age for Britain that should be recreated all the time. Those people are numpties, but a common community spirit clearly existed - and was vital.
Oh dear! Dele has taken agin' me. [emoji14]
Shown himself up for the twat that he is.  
You're the one acting like a twat, mate. Tone it doon a bit.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m going by the growth rate.  16% day one, 64% day three, 32% day two is reasonable assumption.  So the growth rate is now doubling every day.

Assuming day one is ‘1’ then by day fourteen that number is ‘8192’.

8192 x 373 (existing infections) is 3,055,616 infected.  Do the same for deaths.

Two completely different things.

The growth hasn't gone up 16% in a a day, up 32% in a day, up 64% in a day over the last 3 days. That would suggest the growth will go up 128% today. I'd be very surprised if this was the case.

The growth has gone up 16% from yesterday and yesterdays figure is up 64% from 3 days prior.

These are nowhere near the same thing.