Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Falcor Roar said:

Because in the context of my original comment it wasn't necessary to distinguish between the two. I was clearly talking about the UK as a whole. I'm sorry if that has offended you. 

Not offended. I just don't think it makes sense to talk about it that way considering the stark differences between the health services in Scotland and other parts of the UK. 

9 hours ago, sparky88 said:

That assumes UK is as badly prepared as Italy going forward. Italy has locked down and still the death count is through the roof. 

That's not to say the UK will be fine, but to just assume the UK and Italy are in the same position is very simplistic. 

Given HMGs performance thus far are you confident about how much better prepared we are?if so,can I have some of what youre having

2 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Not offended. I just don't think it makes sense to talk about it that way considering the stark differences between the health services in Scotland and other parts of the UK. 

What are these stark differences?

Only a matter of time before the government* formally adds this thread to the list of things needing temporarily closed. 

*both Scottish and UK for avoidance of doubt (and meltdown). 

Edited by Hedgecutter

17 minutes ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

I'm in the same boat. I get a flu jab, have to get my blood monitored and one of the two immunosuppressants I take gets brought to me in a fancy refrigerated van. I'm presuming that makes me high risk but who knows.

I'm a bit offended by the way they're discriminating against different types of cancer, lung and blood getting priority over others such as prostate, like what I've got. Feminazis in charge imo.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, The DA said:

'...there are some people here who are not aware of gravity' is a cracking insult.

I wonder if she meant '...are not aware of the gravity of the situation' but I prefer the insulting interpretation.

given the year many in Scotland seem to be living in,id point out Newton only published about gravity in the late 1680s....

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Only a matter of time before the government* formally adds this thread to the list of things needing temporarily closed. 

I'll still post, they can't stop me!

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

What are these stark differences?

The differences in the approaches taken over the years when it came to NHS funding and the treatment of NHS workers. The difference in the statistics we're seeing right now is no coincidence. Our NHS is simply far better equipped to deal with the situation. That's why it doesn't make sense to have "UK figures".

I've already seen idiots suggesting that Scotland is failing on this, while using the UK figures as a beating stick. It's the one and only reason we have "UK figures" in the media.

20 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Ffs throbs. She carried you for 9 months, went through excruciating pain to give birth to you and no doubt many years of pain watching you grow into the well rounded individual you are now. Is giving her an hour or so of your undivided attention one day a year really too much to ask? 

You are completely right, I am an arsehole. Didn’t even get her a card. 

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

If that happens we will know that we are really fucked.

23 minutes ago, bennett said:

Wouldn't mind jumping in the van and heading up north, a wee break away from it all would be nice but after reading about it yesterday it's not the best idea.

wouldn't like to say you wouldn't be welcome but stay the f**k away,theres a good chap

7 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

This may have been shared alread but it's Scotland specific and all the other models I've seen have been UK wide.

Up 16% in one day, 64% in three days.  Exponential growth.

Don’t need to be a maths wizard to see where we will be in a fortnight if growth doesn’t slow.

ETA 3 million plus infected, 57,000 plus dead.  In Scotland.  In a fortnight.

Edited by Granny Danger

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I’d assume that even a small number of people buying over the odds is enough to disrupt supply chains and cause empty shelves. Particularly something like toilet paper which is mass produced and doesn’t have any seasonal fluctuations.

It’s a combination of things. At the first signs of serious trouble in a country close to home (Italy), the initial wave of panic buying wankjobs descended like locusts on lavvy roll and hand sanitiser. Then moved onto pasta, sauces for pasta and mince. My own theory on this is that seeing what was transpiring in Italy, the initial wave of locusts reckoned they were about to be behind closed doors for a month or more, so would survive if they could wipe their arse, have tons of mince in the freezer, and their ability to cook anything extended (at a push), to defrosting the mince, walloping a tub of Dolmio into it, and boiling up some of their five hundred packets of fusili. Just my opinion. Probably ill-informed, unfair, reactionary, and/or holier-than-thou. Or maybe not. Maybe they’re just cnuts.

Secondly, once the locusts really kick-start things, more sane sections of society go into shops, see the empty bog roll and pasta shelves, and start thinking ‘what will the cnuty locusts start hoarding next - if I see bog roll and pasta, I’m buying plenty too, in case all of us get locked indoors for ages’. That moves things onto stage 2 - as soon as a shop gets a supply of bog roll and pasta back on the shelves, the second wave of buyers strips them in seconds - because until then, they hadn’t been there to buy. As this second stage develops, the locust element, gorged on lavvy roll and pasta, move onto a new area. From my experience in the shops recently, that has been milk, tinned goods that could sit in your cupboard for years and still be edible, and frozen foods to stuff into your freezer. In our local Tesco, the section where there is normally a ton of those pies in the large flat tins - one solitary pie left, and it was vegetable balti. I never even knew such a tinned pie existed. Chicken & mushroom? Mince & onion? Steak & kidney? Forget it. The other noticeable thing was the big cases of popular beers. The 24 packs of Tennents and suchlike, flying off the shelves faster than English wankjobs jumping into campervans heading for Cape Wrath.

Thirdly, and this could be the big one, never mind the initial locusts. In normal circumstances, there are millions upon millions of UK residents who don’t have, and don’t need, that much stuff in their house at all - but do now. Kids are no longer in school between 9 and 3/4pm, they need fed all day. So many people working from home who normally eat lunch out, now need fed all day from home. No-one eating out in restaurants or pubs. No-one away on business abroad, no-one on holiday abroad. No-one going to the theatre, a gig, a sporting event and grabbing a bite before or after it in an eatery of any description. The cafes in places as diverse as garden centres and Swedish furniture stores, off limits. I’ve probably missed many more situations that meant people didn’t need to eat at home, but now do. So, no matter if you fall into the first locust wankjob category, a second wave ‘better grab some myself or I’ll have none’ group, or any other description - millions and millions of us now need a shitload more stuff. Looks like it will get a whole lot worse before it gets better too. If we do go to a full-on government imposed lockdown, it might actually help the stock situation in supermarkets settle down into a routine. I hope we don’t have to go full Monty lockdown - for the reasons of affecting people’s physical and mental wellbeing, but it might be happening sooner than we think. Thank fcuk I bought that vegetable balti pie.

It’s a combination of things. At the first signs of serious trouble in a country close to home (Italy), the initial wave of panic buying wankjobs descended like locusts on lavvy roll and hand sanitiser. Then moved onto pasta, sauces for pasta and mince. My own theory on this is that seeing what was transpiring in Italy, the initial wave of locusts reckoned they were about to be behind closed doors for a month or more, so would survive if they could wipe their arse, have tons of mince in the freezer, and their ability to cook anything extended (at a push), to defrosting the mince, walloping a tub of Dolmio into it, and boiling up some of their five hundred packets of fusili. Just my opinion. Probably ill-informed, unfair, reactionary, and/or holier-than-thou. Or maybe not. Maybe they’re just cnuts.

Secondly, once the locusts really kick-start things, more sane sections of society go into shops, see the empty bog roll and pasta shelves, and start thinking ‘what will the cnuty locusts start hoarding next - if I see bog roll and pasta, I’m buying plenty too, in case all of us get locked indoors for ages’. That moves things onto stage 2 - as soon as a shop gets a supply of bog roll and pasta back on the shelves, the second wave of buyers strips them in seconds - because until then, they hadn’t been there to buy. As this second stage develops, the locust element, gorged on lavvy roll and pasta, move onto a new area. From my experience in the shops recently, that has been milk, tinned goods that could sit in your cupboard for years and still be edible, and frozen foods to stuff into your freezer. In our local Tesco, the section where there is normally a ton of those pies in the large flat tins - one solitary pie left, and it was vegetable balti. I never even knew such a tinned pie existed. Chicken & mushroom? Mince & onion? Steak & kidney? Forget it. The other noticeable thing was the big cases of popular beers. The 24 packs of Tennents and suchlike, flying off the shelves faster than English wankjobs jumping into campervans heading for Cape Wrath.

Thirdly, and this could be the big one, never mind the initial locusts. In normal circumstances, there are millions upon millions of UK residents who don’t have, and don’t need, that much stuff in their house at all - but do now. Kids are no longer in school between 9 and 3/4pm, they need fed all day. So many people working from home who normally eat lunch out, now need fed all day from home. No-one eating out in restaurants or pubs. No-one away on business abroad, no-one on holiday abroad. No-one going to the theatre, a gig, a sporting event and grabbing a bite before or after it in an eatery of any description. The cafes in places as diverse as garden centres and Swedish furniture stores, off limits. I’ve probably missed many more situations that meant people didn’t need to eat at home, but now do. So, no matter if you fall into the first locust wankjob category, a second wave ‘better grab some myself or I’ll have none’ group, or any other description - millions and millions of us now need a shitload more stuff. Looks like it will get a whole lot worse before it gets better too. If we do go to a full-on government imposed lockdown, it might actually help the stock situation in supermarkets settle down into a routine. I hope we don’t have to go full Monty lockdown - for the reasons of affecting people’s physical and mental wellbeing, but it might be happening sooner than we think. Thank fcuk I bought that vegetable balti pie.

£150 for the Balti pie?

It's my final offer.