Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Louis Litt said:

Belter. 

Aye, 100%

The only good thing about this shite is we hopefully reconsider everything. We restart, we were consuming too much and became too way egotistical.

The return of wildlife has really made me smile.

It's weird living through the biggest world event since WWII. What else comes close in terms of genuine worldwide pieces of history? Spanish Flu, Plague, WWI and possibly this round out the top 5 world events since our calendar was formed?

23 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The Venice story is bollocks, really. The water clarity is because the sediment that's normally stirred up by boats has settled on the bottom; if it were pollution it wouldn't have cleared so quickly. The swans are always on that island, and the dolphin pics are from Sardinia.

There are loads of environmental silver linings though. Air pollution in the Po valley is extremely low for this time of year, which is good for - coincidentally enough - people with respiratory problems. 

Frankly, I couldn't care less that the Earth that will be fine without us. That would mean humanity is extinct, and for that to happen it would require some unimaginable suffering on an unthinkable scale. I'm more interested in trying to make the world liveable now, which is entirely possible.

I saw one guy refer to us as a virus and coronavirus as a "vaccine". Aye mate, that's easy to say when it's only the elderly and sick doing the dying.

Just stumbled across this excellent article about these fake Venetian stories: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-fake-animal-viral-social-media-posts/

Guest Moomintroll
Free stuff. Very good
Much to the disappointment of some wankers on here, we are now classed as Key workers. There are a lot of feral arseholes out there & we are doing our best. There is zero danger that I will compare us to NHS staff but at the same time a little civility will not go amiss. We aren't making these purchasing limits up for shit & giggles, we are being told to do it to let other people get their fair share.

Much to the disappointment of some wankers on here, we are now classed as Key workers. There are a lot of feral arseholes out there & we are doing our best. There is zero danger that I will compare us to NHS staff but at the same time a little civility will not go amiss. We aren't making these purchasing limits up for shit & giggles, we are being told to do it to let other people get their fair share.
It's the very least tesco and other supermarkets could do is provide some free groceries every week to staff. At least to feed them while they're at work.
Shock horror but if you treat staff well you get it back usually.

You don’t have to justify yourself, moomin.

Do you find yourself at an opposite end of things from the nhs with things like this? The nhs get a lot of praise and goodwill from the public at times like these (beast from the east, this and in general) whereas i imagine workers like yourself and g-man get a lot of shit and abuse for only trying to do your job and serve the public.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's weird living through the biggest world event since WWII. What else comes close in terms of genuine worldwide pieces of history? Spanish Flu, Plague, WWI and possibly this round out the top 5 world events since our calendar was formed?

Got to love the optimism...

I was out in Asia when this was all kicking off, I looked at as some sort of distant threat and was very blase about it thinking it wouldn't be a major issue. I have been following the progression and it's now shit hitting the fan stuff. My old man is high risk so have started isolating a bit but I'm also worried for the carers that come in to assist me  as they are all zero hour contractors who are commited to helping without much of a lifeline. If myself and the rest of their clients withdraw services they are screwed too. I think the Government have been too slow to react especially when you see whats happening in Italy who seem to have been swamped. Our population seems to be a mix of worry warts, sensible heads and absolute c***s. So the government should be a bit more pro active. I can hunker down for a few months if I know the plan but I feel there isn't enough information or willingness on the part of those in power to make a decision that may harm their popularity, but tough decisions is the only way they can save lifes and stop the total breakdown of the NHS. I think a 3-4 week lockdown should happen.

Guest Moomintroll

Do you find yourself at an opposite end of things from the nhs with things like this? The nhs get a lot of praise and goodwill from the public at times like these (beast from the east, this and in general) whereas i imagine workers like yourself and g-man get a lot of shit and abuse for only trying to do your job and serve the public.
We are getting an astonishing amount of abuse right now, I have a Security Guard next to me while I am explaining purchasing limits & we are having to break up fights regularly. f**k only knows how G_man is coping as we are supposed to be b2b rather than the general public.

We are getting an astonishing amount of abuse right now, I have a Security Guard next to me while I am explaining purchasing limits & we are having to break up fights regularly. f**k only knows how G_man is coping as we are supposed to be b2b rather than the general public.

That is pretty shit. Amazing how people cannot understand that you are doing a job that is designed to keep the country going and make sure that everyone gets their fair share. Willing to bet that these are the same people who probably share the empty shelves on Facebook, moaning that the elderly cannot get.

Excuse my ignorance, but b2b?

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
30 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
Free stuff. Very good

People like yourself and G_Man and your colleagues maybe aren't getting the praise that you are due. 

In my few trips to supermarkets tbh I've not seen any arseholish behaviour. But I have no doubt it's happening.

Thanks to both of you for your efforts, this is a fucked up time but honestly it is appreciated. I'd imagine by the vast majority.

23 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've been thinking about that. In terms of disruption, it affects vastly more people in the UK than the World Wars. Schools didn't close, exams weren't cancelled, football continued, pubs, cinemas and theatres were packed. Everyone went to work. Obviously I'm not saying this is anything like as bad as any war, let alone the worst two in history.

For the sense of a huge thing happening and the kind of sense of uneasy dread, I felt something like this on 9/11 and the day or two after it - until it was clear Afghanistan wasn't about to go up in a big radioactive cloud. And growing up in the Cold War I knew the sirens could go and we'd all be carbon. But everyone went about their daily lives as normal.

I think you're genuinely looking all the way back to the last waves of the plague in the 17th century for something so disruptive to normal life at a national or international scale - and really, even then, everyone had no choice but to keep doing what they did. 

Guest Moomintroll

That is pretty shit. Amazing how people cannot understand that you are doing a job that is designed to keep the country going and make sure that everyone gets their fair share. Willing to bet that these are the same people who probably share the empty shelves on Facebook, moaning that the elderly cannot get.

Business to Business, so people who are raging at us know why we cant supply them as they are shop owners themselves & understand the supply chain yet it is somehow our fault personally. We ordered 3k loaves yesterday & we got 1.2k, we are fucking useless because Warbys & Allied Bakeries shorted us. I understand why they did but according to our customers this is somehow our fault.

Business to business.

Find it bizarre that they are continuing to open some shops. My girlfriend works in a jewellers where they are constantly handling other people’s stuff - still open. She’s been royally shafted to be fair, also working as a nurse on placement doing 40 hour weeks for her £650 a month bursary. NMC have confirmed they aren’t taking them out.

Guest Moomintroll
People like yourself and G_Man and your colleagues maybe aren't getting the praise that you are due. 
In my few trips to supermarkets tbh I've not seen any arseholish behaviour. But I have no doubt it's happening.
Thanks to both of you for your efforts, this is a fucked up time but honestly it is appreciated. I'd imagine by the vast majority.
Honestly, I am trying my damndest but I am doing next to hee haw compared to G_Man & the others working in Retail, rather than Wholesale like me, they deserve the Lions share of the praise.

3 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Business to business.

Find it bizarre that they are continuing to open some shops. My girlfriend works in a jewellers where they are constantly handling other people’s stuff - still open. She’s been royally shafted to be fair, also working as a nurse on placement doing 40 hour weeks for her £650 a month bursary. NMC have confirmed they aren’t taking them out.

All none essential businesses should stop operating however this needs to be done by diktat rather than voluntary to avoid predatory competition.  

Business to business.

What year is your wife in? In some hospitals they are taking out the 3rd year students and putting them through as qualified if they feel confident enough to help with the staffing. I was under the impression all other students were being withdrawn for the time being.