Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Also anyone looking for a job in time being in Dundee give me a shout. Interviews n start dates are next week.received_2511238102476779.jpeg.a21cc42bc1af629b72f0b2d0edcfce75.jpeg
That's brilliant but it seems daft that tesco workers actually need to walk round and buy stuff? Do they not get free stuff?
If not they should.

Just now, pozbaird said:

Went for the Jim Beam Single Barrel Select, poured myself a double. Ice cold Coke. Has to be real full fat b*****d Coke. One block of ice. Stir. Drink. 

Just the ticket. To all single malt fans - bourbon is my thing. I hope you all enjoy your dram of choice tonight - and tomorrow.

Cheers P&B.

We malties get your bourbon taste eventually.  Did you know they only use each barrel once?

I'm currently reading Iain Banks' whisky distillery tour book, Raw Spirit. It's good but he's  (was) a petrol head and the car bits are a bit  meh  for me.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Buy some fucking whisky you heathen

Pure Paisley. 

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Went for the Jim Beam Single Barrel Select, poured myself a double. Ice cold Coke. Has to be real full fat b*****d Coke. One block of ice. Stir. Drink. 

Just the ticket. To all single malt fans - bourbon is my thing. I hope you all enjoy your dram of choice tonight - and tomorrow.

Cheers P&B.

I'm actually glad it's only bourbon you're polluting ya melon. 

Only kiddin. Better than vodka.

1 minute ago, cyderspaceman said:

We malties get your bourbon taste eventually.  Did you know they only use each barrel once?

I'm currently reading Iain Banks' whisky distillery tour book, Raw Spirit. It's good but he's  (was) a petrol head and the car bits are a bit  meh  for me.

I bought that when it came out but was bored by it. I never finished it.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

That's brilliant but it seems daft that tesco workers actually need to walk round and buy stuff? 

In theory it's a very decent thing. In practice, you'll just get NHS folk buying stuff for non NHS staff. 

54 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Good post.

Worth noting what Mark Woolhouse, a professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the University of Edinburgh, said:

"Waiting for a vaccine should not be honoured with the name 'strategy', that is not a strategy."

It's a really good article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51963486 

I know

We have never cured the common cold

What guarantee is there we could ever produce a vaccine

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Is it weird to find it comforting witnessing the speed with which nature is reclaiming places that are normally busy with people?

I feel like whenever The Big One happens planet Earth will be just fine without us in charge.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/20/nature-is-taking-back-venice-wildlife-returns-to-tourist-free-city

It will, if any of it left. 

When getting the ferry to France and seeing the chalk cliffs, I think the ancient seas must have been like soup to have the amount of marine life necessary to lay down that amount of calcium carbonate. Even over millions of years. We've knackered things.

6 minutes ago, Binos said:

I know

It would be a massive waste of money to try and cure the cold, which is why no one has done it or is trying to do it. There isn't one virus that causes the cold; there's loads of them, which is why folk can get the cold multiple times. It also isn't an illness that kills or really even affects folk that badly. No one needs hospital treatment for a cold.

COVID-19 is a specific virus and does kills and does hospitalise folk.

1 minute ago, Binos said:

I know

Yes but it's not so 'common'.   There are over 200 virus types involved.    Including a Corona type.  (wiki)

I bought that when it came out but was bored by it. I never finished it.
I remember the whole 'story of whisky' pish and his random life anecdotes but for some reason I can't recall anything petrolheady about it. Then again I couldn't care less about cars - I wouldn't spunk on a Ferrari if it was on fire - so maybe I just tuned those bits out. Overall I remember it as a decent read. Not as good as his fiction but good nonetheless.

Reading John Niven at the moment. Sublime.

We might be getting a bit carried away, this is not the end of times, just a phase when it's better for everyone if we reduce human contact for 2 or three months hopefully. If it goes well we'll be saying what the f**k was all that about. With possibly some reconstructions of the economy with lasting benefits.

5 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I always thought that the only thing more unlikely than me getting a girlfriend would be the world ending. It turns out that both of these things have happened in the same month.

5 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I remember the whole 'story of whisky' pish and his random life anecdotes but for some reason I can't recall anything petrolheady about it. Then again I couldn't care less about cars - I wouldn't spunk on a Ferrari if it was on fire - so maybe I just tuned those bits out. Overall I remember it as a decent read. Not as good as his fiction but good nonetheless.

It was maybe just the mood I was in or preconceived idea about what the book would be like. I kept it just in case.  I can go back to it.  

I read an interesting article once attacking the vanity of humans calling our age the anthropocene when not a shred of evidence our civilisation ever existed will be present in 10million years and in geological terms it will, if detectable at all, be a thin layer in rock marking the 'quaternary carbon maximum'. I don't think we're capable of truly understanding the vastness of time.

I read a quote in I think a bill bryson book that explained it pretty well. If you stretch you arms out sideways and take that as the timeline of the earth from one fingertip to the other, the whole of human history would be wiped out with one stroke of a nail file.

We really are pretty insignificant and will have been nothing more than a slight irritation on the surface in the earth in the grand scheme of its history.

11 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

John Niven's books are brilliant. Second Coming is one of my favourite books from any author. Recently finished Kill Em All for the second time. Outstanding stuff.

I was pondering a question Mrs Poz asked. I said to her that this weekend, I might watch my DVD of the 2013 League Cup final. She asked what other games I could watch in their entirety again. If it didn’t involve St Mirren, I’d go for the 1970 World Cup Final and Liverpool v AC Milan in Istanbul.

Spain 4 yugoslavia 3. Euro 2000. The 97 final between juve and dortmund. Del pieros and lars rickens goals are just things of beauty.