Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Moomintroll
You'll be glad to get Happy Shopper 1 ply (still easily available in a corner shop near you) within the week.

That's 2 ply, Euroshopper is the low grade stuff.

41 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

If you could only buy one food product from the shops what would it be? For me it would be cheese - lasts for ages and goes with everything from...actually can’t think of anything is doesn’t go with.

Is Rioja a “food product”?

Asking for myself.

Guest Moomintroll
Asking for myself.
Well it does contain grapes, that's practically your 5 a day, batter in min.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Asking for myself.

We're going to end up pish stained auld alkies if we come through this unscathed. 

28 minutes ago, virginton said:

On a related note, yesterday was my first visit to any supermarket since the weekend that apparently made the Sack of Rome look like a mild affair. After all those reports, it was remarkable to see the amount of food that was actually still in stock. Practically every kind of fresh fruit and vegetable imaginable, most products from the fresh bakeries: you could even still get baked beans FFS (Branston and not the shitey Heinz variety as well).

With the exception of a couple of genuinely essential items, it seems that the UK public have walked into the shops with a set shopping list in mind and are having a collective meltdown about not getting exactly what they want in the middle of a pandemic.

Same experience in Inverness apart from baked beans and potatoes in one shop which were completely sold out, baked potatoes and beans must be a teuchter staple.

2 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I found it mad that it was the ready made meals that we pillaged at the shops I've been to.

Just shows that even with all that extra free time, people still can't won't cook.

This is only one of many very good points raised as the Great British Public lays its true character bare in these interesting times.

Faced with weeks of enforced inactivity, the response is not "hey, now we've go the time we could maybe learn how to cook a few simple dishes which might be better for us and cheaper," but, "This will give us time to watch Game of Thrones all the way through," or "great - I've got a couple of games I've been meaning to play through again."

Scum, absolute scum. If only we could target this virus...

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Tbf, making a meal requires being able to buy ingredients.

I've not seen a single packet of chicken or pork on a shelf in over a week.

Yeah, fresh chicken of any form seems to be hard to acquire.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

End up?  Speak for yourself, I got a head start on this Coronavirus.

That'll explain your raised performance levels in recent days, Jacksgranda is obviously still on the Werthers. 

15 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I found it mad that it was the ready made meals that we pillaged at the shops I've been to.

Just shows that even with all that extra free time, people still can't won't cook.

Or, alternatively, folk are working extra and are returning home completely knackered?

I've been putting in 14+ hour days all week, last thing I want to do when I get home is stand and cook.

17 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I'm making use of them now before relying on tinned food etc when it's too dangerous for me to go shopping (I'm high risk and a lazy cook).

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Or, alternatively, folk are working extra and are returning home completely knackered?

I've been putting in 14+ hour days all week, last thing I want to do when I get home is stand and cook.

That's a fair point tbf. Personally, even on the back of a long day eating something like a ready meal doesn't really help nutritionally more often that not, but understandable considering there's only so much left in the tank.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm making use of them now before relying on tinned food etc when it's too dangerous for me to go shopping (I'm high risk and a lazy cook).

All I want is some tinned tomatoes and I can do a lot of batch cooking out it, yet Morrisons were selling them at 4 for a £1. I never had a chance of getting near a tin.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Italy have majorly messed this up.

What's worrying is at the rate we're going at, that will be us in the next week or two.