Coronavirus (COVID-19)

23 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Looking back in a few weeks the public will be asking why weren’t we locked down like China from the start?

Why not a strategy like this?

From February no more unessential travel. We think the corona virus will turn into an epidemic here and we don’t have the nhs facilities to deal with that.

From Feb all people returning from uk will be put into quarantine for two weeks and tested for the virus.

End of February borders closed. Travel industry workers paid sick leave until crisis is over.

March, anyone who experiences symptoms tested immediately, all mobile contacts, friends and colleagues tested also. Any positive cases and testing spreads out again. 

Ok so the travel industry and tourism takes a hit but you’ve just saved thousands of lives and billions of pounds?

Nope, let’s have everyone do whatever they want and then even when Italy goes tits up we will still do the opposite of what every other country does and talk pish about somehow reducing the strain by letting 600,000 people mingle at a racecourse.

Utter utter nonsense. They have lied about all sorts as well. There’s no plan for ventilators or even PPE equipment that’s beyond any real value atm.

I really hope italy is some anomaly because the nhs will be overrun in days unless we go full can’t leave the house type lockdown.

The last line of your post. Currently, the figure for deaths in the UK attributed to coronavirus is 104. I accept that this virus is contagious, but why will the NHS be overrun in days? 

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Economy and health are linked you can’t have a good economy with poor health as we can see already.

Yes, we’ve made lots of money but now we can’t make any more. It’s short sighted and moronic.

To me what seems short sighted is believing that you can control a highly infectious virus at less than 0.1% infected of your population over a long period without serious consequences. 

The Korean technique works now but to have any value it will need to work until there is a treatment which could be years and years. It won't work that long. 

Was that before or after the health minister collapsed in the dutch parliament ?

Given how many people are apparently symptonless I don't think we will. 
The Dutch are apparently considering the herd immunity approach as well.

Guest Moomintroll
Once this is done I'm sure our captains of industry will accelerate automation to minimise exposure of their business to these unreliable humans.
This is horrifically true, it will be couched in jargon when they say it but that will be what they mean.

This is horrifically true, it will be couched in jargon when they say it but that will be what they mean.
Not sure tbh. It's not people going off work that's killing them. It's the world stopping buying stuff and stopping moving about.

Inability to produce isnt the issue, its inability to consume.

4 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
Once this is done I'm sure our captains of industry will accelerate automation to minimise exposure of their business to these unreliable humans.

Unfortunately for them reliable automation buys none of their products.

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The last line of your post. Currently, the figure for deaths in the UK attributed to coronavirus is 104. I accept that this virus is contagious, but why will the NHS be overrun in days? 

Because it's doubling every two or three days, and the deaths happening now are the result of infections that happened 10 to 14 days ago. Even if we shut down everything now, we'll be at 3k deaths or more in a fortnight or so.

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

HIV/AIDS originated in Africa, Swine flu originated in USA/ Mexico I believe, one of the Cholera pandemics from India.  I'm not sure, but possibly China being such a vast country is why a couple of these viruses have emerged from there?

Exactly.  The most recent Ebola virus in Africa started in a village in Cameroon.  Some children found a dead monkey in the jungle and took it back to the village where it was turned into stew.  Lots of people died but before they did it was passed on so even people thousands of miles away in Liberia and Sierra Leone suffered.

Boycott Cameroon?  Boycott any other country in Africa where the same thing might happen?

Maybe one day they will track down one person in China and I do mean one person who accidentally set this off.  Doesn't mean you have to blame the entire country.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

To allude to what I posted a few posts back, the great, great majority of trade in securities is carried out by computer programs selling to other computer programs.

It isn't just robots driving lorries etc.

Worth automating that IMO. I'm sure many of the people that make a fortune off that while adding f**k all value could use their amazing skills to add value elsewhere.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

Guest Moomintroll
Unfortunately for them reliable automation buys none of their products.
It all comes down to the analysis of cheapness & reliability vs the amount of people who can still afford to pay for the product. They will take the profits & leave the Doomsday Scenario to someone down the line, they are utter sociopaths.

4 minutes ago, bendan said:

Because it's doubling every two or three days, and the deaths happening now are the result of infections that happened 10 to 14 days ago. Even if we shut down everything now, we'll be at 3k deaths or more in a fortnight or so.

So, no chance of avoiding the NHS being overrun at all then? No ‘flattening of the sombrero peak’. Grim stuff if true.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Yeah I wasn't referring to most, just the ones that are assuming the level of expertise that I do when watching a sport I haven't seen in 4 years at the Olympics. But that's just for fun.

This thread is 'just for fun'. Nobody in a position of authority is acting on anything posted on here. Thank fcuk. We are merely bouncing the ball around and in the process hopefully getting some idea of how to react to all of this.  I really don't see anyone claiming to have any level of expertise. 

Now please go and gargle some pish  while singing the national anthem as I've read on P&B that it will cure the virus.

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Exactly.  The most recent Ebola virus in Africa started in a village in Cameroon.  Some children found a dead monkey in the jungle and took it back to the village where it was turned into stew.  Lots of people died but before they did it was passed on so even people thousands of miles away in Liberia and Sierra Leone suffered.

Boycott Cameroon?  Boycott any other country in Africa where the same thing might happen?

Maybe one day they will track down one person in China and I do mean one person who accidentally set this off.  Doesn't mean you have to blame the entire country.

Fortunately @throbber resisted temptation when he found a dead fox or Portabelly would be the new Wuhan.