Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Have no future trading with China is nothing to do with racism (for me anyway) it's to do with what's best and safest for us in the future 

So it’s best for us not to trade with a country that produces essential products that no other country produces, or certainly don’t produce in sufficient quantity.

That requires a more detailed explanation.

The floor is yours...

18 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

No, I was thinking more of,

A) That the BBC deem this headline breaking news 

B) "Heartbreaking" being used to describe a pop concert being cancelled.

But if you took something else from it, fair enough.

Why shouldn't the cancellation of the biggest music festival in the world be reported on?

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't mean state pension which is a benefit, I mean occupational pensions which are paid out from returns on investment in equities and bonds. There's nothing inherently bad about government debt provided it can service it & right now while yields are incredibly low they should be piling it on.

Yes. But that debt servicing comes at a cost. Usually through austerity measures implemented on the poorest. The yields being low don't change any of that. It only encourages more of it which is bad news for a lot of people.

2 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

The US also has a southern border with Canada, has no-one told him?

On a purely selfish note, that's me sorted for the next fortnight.

image.thumb.png.c1df8b8dc2b6a8256cb2e7007c7009af.png

This will be the first time in history that there is panic buying of Private Eye in ASDA.  Looking forward o the disputes at the checkouts.

6 minutes ago, Rugster said:

That's Tesco introducing a maximum allowance of 3 items per person on every single product they sell from tomorrow.

Started today, had to shamefacedly hand back one of my four tins of corned beef. On the credit side I didn't take the solitary 4-pack of toilet paper that was left on the shelf. 

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So it’s best for us not to trade with a country that produces essential products that no other country produces, or certainly don’t produce in sufficient quantity.

That requires a more detailed explanation.

The floor is yours...

It is, yes

Not just for our country

What do China produce that no other country could produce?

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

It is, yes

Not just for our country

Wrong question.  Not surprising.  

What about “why is China producing things that no one else is producing”.  Maybe you want to resort to a time when there was no trade with other countries.  In fairness we had serious country-wide viral infections in those days too.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Do you think there will be idiots who actually don’t get the joke?

Yes.  Yes I do.

ETA many of them will watch Eastenders.

Edited by Granny Danger

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It is, yes

Not just for our country

Economies of scale. Every country making their own stuff would put most consumer goods out of reach for ordinary workers.

10 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Can I get a link please? For workmates .

Kinda glad this is happening but we are still fucked

Ignore. I got it

IT was an email from the CEO to clubcard holders. No link unfortunately.

42 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It starts to become real when you can't get your mega munchy box (platimum edition) delivered.

Bit hard on the teeth?

30 minutes ago, yoda said:

I see the armchair virologists have morphed into armchair economists.

armchair c*nts still armchair c*nts tho.

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Why shouldn't the cancellation of the biggest music festival in the world be reported on?

By all means "report it", however apart from the fact that it was a given, I don't believe we need a special section on the thoughts of DJ's, performers etc when there's lots of other serious stuff which isn't being reported. Likewise I wouldn't want or expect to have interviews and sensationalised responses from footballers on the cancellation of games in the main "breaking news" section of the BBC news.

I guess what I'm saying is it's about priorities and use of language at this stage and "heartbreaking" over the cancellation of a pop concert (irrespective of it's size) doesn't really do it for me, especially when people are dying.

How the Gov are dealing with supporting the self employed or those in rented property or even what their next move is regarding English School closures or a full lock down would be much more informative for a mainstream NEWS station.

That's only my opinion though and I'm sure others won't agree, so let's not fall out over it.

We need to get our own manufacturing industries up to speed first.

We had them but some greedy fucker said wages were too high so shipped it all out to countries who will accept peanuts.
Manufacturing is a niche market and not based on what the country needs. That said I'm sure it would be easy to go back to production line type stuff. We have the r&d and space to do so.