Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 09/03/2020 at 15:23, Armand 2 said:

I know a guy who was in China in early November and was struck down when he came back with symptoms very similar to those associated with COVID19. There were also a number of people who seemed to have the same lurgy around Christmas - head cold, runny nose, cough, shortness of breath. I don't think there's any doubt that it has been circulating far longer than the end of January.

There's about 5 folk that I can think of that had similar symptoms and only 1 went to the doctors. Granted that it is completely unreliable extrapolation but I think it is fair to say there is likely significantly more cases than what has been reported across the globe - Germany for example, "coronavirus arrived here last Wednesday"...what did they see it off the fucking plane? Therefore, this purported mortality rate of 2-3% is probably, in reality, somewhere closer to the normal flu when you consider there's likely many unreported cases.

I appreciate that the apparent infectiousness of it is concerning but the kind of media coverage afforded to it is creating mass hysteria on a fucking ridiculous scale - I couldn't buy bog roll yesterday...and shiting yourself isn't even a symptom.

I'm getting married in Portugal in a month's time and we've already had 2 folk withdraw over coronavirus concerns with more expected. Hope they're the ones stocking up on toilet roll for their wee shitey bums.

Oh well, had to postpone my wedding which seems fairly far down the list of concerns at the moment.

Run my own business and already had one customer call in the administrators. Have another two that look likely to head the same way as they are involved in the events industry. I also run company training courses which are now kaput since employers don't want all staff in a confined space - which is fair enough. Still, it's about 40% of my business shut down overnight.

A big shipping line that I deal with cancelled 500 sailings this week - given you can get about 10,000 containers on a ship, that's a lot of stuff that isn't moving. I hear that other shippers are in the same boat (boom boom). This is partly because there is a container shortage in the UK at the moment because nothing has been moving from China who still have approx 10,000+ shunters quarantined. 

I deal with a skip hire company who do a lot of house clearances for a prominent estate agent. They called this week to say a lot of their staff are being laid off - nobody wants to sell their house just now, don't want viewers coming in and poking about. A number of my other clients are in some way associated with construction so a downturn in the housing market is bad news for them - and bad news for me.

I also work with a few timber merchants and the minute that anyone working at the mill develops any symptoms, they're shut for 2 weeks. I can't imagine food processing plants will be much different.

The supermarkets don't have a problem with supply at the moment - but what they do have is a driver shortage. As of yesterday, a big haulier in the central belt had at least 6 drivers' self-isolating. The average age of a truck driver in the UK is 57 and some don't keep in rude health. There will be a number firmly in the category most exposed to the risk of getting the virus. There's already a driver shortage thanks to a number of issues, particularly the fact that approx 60% of the UK's vocational drivers are non-UK citizens, many of whom left due to the Brexit uncertainty.

Still can't buy bog roll.

Image result for everything is fine dog gif

7 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

So far, in Illinois at least, I've been pretty heartened by Gov Pritzker and Mayor Lori's response; he took to Twitter on Saturday to directly @ Trump and Pence because 6 hour lines of folks nose to tail at OHare. The initial response was a WH staffer calling him to rebuke him for it being inappropriate language for him to say they need to 'get their shit together'. Pence finally did call him after JB went on Meet The Press the next morning to tear the administration a new one to say more Border Patrol agents would be sent and now lines are normal.

Were the agents sent from the Mex border leaving it more vulnerable? Hope so.  

The news we've all been waiting for .................
The Eurovision Song Contest has been cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak, it has been announced.

SPFL and horse racing I could cope with, but the coronavirus has went too far now!

16 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Oh well, had to postpone my wedding which seems fairly far down the list of concerns at the moment.

Run my own business and already had one customer call in the administrators. Have another two that look likely to head the same way as they are involved in the events industry. I also run company training courses which are now kaput since employers don't want all staff in a confined space - which is fair enough. Still, it's about 40% of my business shut down overnight.

A big shipping line that I deal with cancelled 500 sailings this week - given you can get about 10,000 containers on a ship, that's a lot of stuff that isn't moving. I hear that other shippers are in the same boat (boom boom). This is partly because there is a container shortage in the UK at the moment because nothing has been moving from China who still have approx 10,000+ shunters quarantined. 

I deal with a skip hire company who do a lot of house clearances for a prominent estate agent. They called this week to say a lot of their staff are being laid off - nobody wants to sell their house just now, don't want viewers coming in and poking about. A number of my other clients are in some way associated with construction so a downturn in the housing market is bad news for them - and bad news for me.

I also work with a few timber merchants and the minute that anyone working at the mill develops any symptoms, they're shut for 2 weeks. I can't imagine food processing plants will be much different.

The supermarkets don't have a problem with supply at the moment - but what they do have is a driver shortage. As of yesterday, a big haulier in the central belt had at least 6 drivers' self-isolating. The average age of a truck driver in the UK is 57 and some don't keep in rude health. There will be a number firmly in the category most exposed to the risk of getting the virus. There's already a driver shortage thanks to a number of issues, particularly the fact that approx 60% of the UK's vocational drivers are non-UK citizens, many of whom left due to the Brexit uncertainty.

I've got a spare Andrex 9 pack if you want to DM me...

13 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Take a deep breath. 

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Mexico have been talking about closing their border to the US anyhoo; there's very few cases there, 15 as at end of last week.

Unfortunately  93 as of yesterday and very widespread.  Would have been good to see them close the US border.  Feck Trump.