Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest bernardblack
They won't necessarily know they are ill for 2 or 3 days but will be infectious.

Have you not been paying attention?  That's a serious question, not an attempt at an insult.

Tbf I may have misread your comparison earlier, thought you were comparing people

spreading disease on purpose given you used the term deliberately. I doubt anyone is going to boozers with a cough and a temperature.

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I watched A Quiet Place last night, that was good.

Me and the girlfriend sat down to watch it on Saturday night and were certain the tv was broken for the first half hour. Apart from that I was largely indifferent about it. 

Just now, throbber said:

Me and the girlfriend sat down to watch it on Saturday night and were certain the tv was broken for the first half hour. Apart from that I was largely indifferent about it. 

Absolutely stunned a film with atmosphere was wasted on you

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Absolutely stunned a film with atmosphere was wasted on you

Absolutely stunned throbber’s got a girlfriend. Thought he was only just married! 

8 hours ago, Dee Man said:

What I don't get is why has this virus suddenly jumped from bats to humans now? I'm sure bats have been getting eaten in those parts for years. 

That reminds me, I'll need to get some Bacofoil next time I'm at the shops. 

IIRC There are more bats in the world than humans.  Some of them are infected with one virus or another and it doesn't really affect them i.e. they are reservoir hosts.  So one infected bat does not necessarily infect the rest.

However if some other animal such as a human or monkey or gorilla eats an infected bat or come into contact with the bodily fluids of an infected bat then that sets things off.

That is why the likes of Ebola can appear, become an epidemic and then disappear only to reappear years later.

From the Beeb's live reporting page 

19:04
Cases and deaths in France rise

French authorities report a further 27 deaths, bringing the total to 175 - and what's more, 7% are in people aged under-65.

The country now has a total of 7,730 cases - an increase of 17% in past 24 hours - with 699 people in intensive care.

The death rate in France is currently about 1.9%

Here in the UK its 2.8%

(edit: these last two figures are based on data from yesterday when it was 148 deaths in France and 56 in the UK)

😬

Edited by s_dog

From the Beeb's live reporting page 

19:04

Cases and deaths in France rise

French authorities report a further 27 deaths, bringing the total to 175 - and what's more, 7% are in people aged under-65.

The country now has a total of 7,730 cases - an increase of 17% in past 24 hours - with 699 people in intensive care.

That's 11.9 deaths under 65, to be expected I think given the numbers and they will mostly have pre existing conditions.