Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Hey! My greenie gun has been reloaded. 

Only found out when I tried to see if reddies still worked.

ETA  ah! Is it 24 hours after the first one? Shit, I've been on here too long.

Edited by cyderspaceman

Guest bernardblack

If we are all going to get this nonsense I’d rather make sure my local boozers and restaurants get a bit more cash out of this. Literally not any riskier than visiting your local sandwich shop or artisanal campachoochoo spot

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Calm doon.

Do you not get exhausted from constantly being on a rage all the time?

Folk are not being told to stay in. The pubs and restaurants have to stay open for their livelihoods, and those of their staff.

:blink:

24 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that very little of what the government is asking of us will work and none of it is about selfishness or any other overly emotional claptrap. It's just that this isn't 1939. There is no strict hierarchy in society to enforce any of it.

Good companies are not simply going to allow themselves to go bust.

People are not going to sit at home for endless weeks and months. A week or so perhaps but not much longer than that.

And a special mention to those over 70. That generation largely won't sit back and be patronised and ordered around by younger generations. They are fiercely independent and would rather take their chances and die in freedom than be imprisoned in their own houses.

Where that leaves us in terms of this virus, I don't know but the idea that we're all going to meekly sit at home for more than a week or so is pretty delusional.

Oh and as for "panic buying", that won't stop until supermarkets are forced by law to limit what people buy. In the meantime the government should STFU and focus on getting supply lines freed up because every photo of empty shelves makes the situation worse.

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh calm down FFS.

You're not the only one with vulnerable family members.

Zero to hero in 5 minutes 

3 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Don’t know whether this needs its own thread, but I can’t help trying to predict the longer term impact of the pandemic.

No more cinemas 
Mass repossessions 
Worldwide recession
Mortgage rates an all-time low for a decade
1/2 of pubs and eateries closed for good
1000s more bleak shit

Depends on what happens over the next week or two. If folk don't think it's working, I believe they will just say 'f**k it' and go back to as normal as they can.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Some folk but not all folk.

We are not in full lock down. Places are open for business and people are free to use them.

We're being encouraged to slow down the transmission rate by keeping social interaction to a minimum, so the NHS isn't overwhelmed.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Some folk but not all folk.

We are not in full lock down. Places are open for business and people are free to use them.

The key new government measures are:

• Everyone should avoid gatherings and crowded places, such as pubs, clubs and theatres

38 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Good companies are not simply going to allow themselves to go bust.

People though Thomas Cook and Flybe were decent enough and they went to the wall recently.

39 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Where that leaves us in terms of this virus, I don't know but the idea that we're all going to meekly sit at home for more than a week or so is pretty delusional.

Unless you want to try and flood the NHS by carrying on as normal then sitting at home is going to be the best course of action. You don't need to do it meekly pick up the phone chat to your pals sit and read books you've always wanted to read, get out for walks with the folk in your house or alone.

It's not about members of our family who are vulnerable its about keeping the NHS afloat for as long as possible and by limiting our social interactions to the minimum will help spread the burden on the NHS to hopefully manageable levels. 

Guest Moomintroll
What’s your dystopian/ pandemic movie of choice? I’m thinking Children of Men
The way Supermarkets are going, Soylent Green.