Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Moomintroll
Or the fact they're being made to work away from home in a warehouse full of hundreds of people under the circumstances, could make it the most dangerous job of all?
They may be at risk of contracting it yes, but so are a lot of us working in jobs that involve contact with a lot of people. It is a worry that they could then infect at risk members of their families but the same could be said of the rest of us. This really is a no win situation.

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

It's a good question but there a few reasons, a proportion of selfish arseholes will become violent so staff need protecting, selfish arseholes will pay no attention to any signs which will cause even more holdups & flashpoints at the tills, then other selfish arseholes will plunder their trollies, wahey more violence! Unfortunately some if it also comes down to good old competition, if we don't sell them it then Mr Asda down the road will & there is no way you will get every Supermarket to agree limits on the affected products especially when there are so many being panic bought.

I think it's incredibly naive to think that supermarkets aren't enforcing limits on essential items because they fear violence for their staff and not because they are currently fucking coining it in. 

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

A lot of people could lose their jobs.

We need people in certain industries to step up and help during this time and that includes shop workers and warehouse staff.
If emergency services staff had that attitude then we'd be fucked.

Let's hope they're paid accordingly then and also given all the respect that they deserve, both from their employer and the general public.

7 minutes ago, red23 said:

Having similar conversations with my mother whos 67, has heart and respiratory problems. My dad is showing symptoms so he's isolated in a room in the house. 

Shes been calling and messaging me non stop as shes "bored in the house" I've come up with suggestions - each one is batted down immediately. I said "why not clean the house up" she says "i don't want to fill my bin up" (which she barely uses)

Her idea is just to "get whatever he has and get it over with"

I said "Yeah but you could die" she says "Yeah but its unlikely"

Making a bad situation 10x worse and have had enough of it already. Why can't people just behave.

My parents are in their 70s and my dad has some health problems.  They are pretty sensible though and are also lucky enough to live in a big house with a big garden and to have my brother and his family nearby to help them with stuff.  My dad has arthritis in his ankle so can't really go anywhere on foot which helps, if that's the right way of putting it.

My wife's mother is in her mid 60s but her partner is 76 has had cancer treatment and has early stage dementia.  He lives in a one room flat in the centre of Edinburgh and self-isolating will be really challanging for him.  My mother-in-law's attitude is basically that he wont' do it and she seems to be quite breezy about it.  It's hard to impress on her that it's actually serious and not just a load of rubbish.  I think in her case she is also extremely contrary about anything her daughter says to her.  I think it'll be a real struggle if we have to self-isolate and tell her not to come and visit etc.

5 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

A lot of people could lose their jobs.

We need people in certain industries to step up and help during this time and that includes shop workers and warehouse staff.
If emergency services staff had that attitude then we'd be fucked.

A fucking Amazon warehouse is not an essential public service champ.

38 minutes ago, The Master said:

First day working from home today. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding it easier said than done; it's too easy to just think that I'm simply at home. I'm actually wishing I had a firm deadline in the near future to help get into the habit of doing actual work in this environment.

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, though.

First day for me also. Did find it very strange, although my boss phoning or emailing every hour certainly helped to keep me focused. 

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My treatment is going ahead tomorrow. They are temperature checking everyone coming into the hospital and anyone with an elevated temp will get a swab. Got to hang about for 1.5 hours whilst my bloods are checked. Will need to sit in the car.

It's business as usual in the Macmillan Suite @welshbairn 

Is this at the beatson, and do you normally get your bloods taken on the day? I've got clinic tomorrow where they do my bloods (had a phone call earlier asking if I had a fever or new dry cough) and those bloods usually carry over to the Friday - is this not the way it usually works for you? 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

A fucking Amazon warehouse is not an essential public service champ.

Maybe not, but our business is fucking delighted they are still open.

Hunners of mice/keyboards and monitors being ordered from Amazon now - by individual staff, claimable back up to a limit.

The increase in productivity people will have from being able to work better at home on their work laptop will reduce our firm's losses massively.

Guest Moomintroll
I think it's incredibly naive to think that supermarkets aren't enforcing limits on essential items because they fear violence for their staff and not because they are currently fucking coining it in. 
You've seen what it's like when it's Black Friday, imagine what it's like now the fuckwits think the zombie apocalypse is coming. They aren't doing it for the staff, although it is a concern, they are doing it because the Police will shut the place if a fight breaks out. I have been on Security Conference calls regarding the potential situations that may arise.

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Is this at the beatson, and do you normally get your bloods taken on the day? I've got clinic tomorrow where they do my bloods (had a phone call earlier asking if I had a fever or new dry cough) and those bloods usually carry over to the Friday - is this not the way it usually works for you? 

It's at Raigmore. I usually get my bloods done at my local health centre a couple days before but with all this going on an appointment for that never came and I didn't bother chasing it up. 

27 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

People are facing losing their livelihoods because of coronavirus but here comes Jock McSporran from Dunfermline complaining about having to work a few extra hours to ship essential goods to people in need.

Humans are the worst.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51921916

Here is some attention. I am giving you attention for the posts you are making.

Now can you give it a fucking rest, you tedious welt? 

48 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

One of the grandsons has Crohns disease, he has to get blood taken today, he's been told it'll be done in the car.

Mind you, he mind have misunderstood, he isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

This actually happened, he's been told to go home and stay indoors.

Guaranteed to drive both him and his mother mad.

From tomorrow in Lower Saxony, all non-essential shops (book, furniture, Vape shops etc.) to remain closed. Supermarkets, drink stores, banks, post offices etc. to open as normal. Bars (non food), cinemas, gyms etc. closed. My ‚local‘ (classed as a restaurant) now restricted to 10am - 6pm.

Volkswagen, as well as Ford & Opel stopping/drastically reducing production from Friday onwards. 

10 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Aye mate I'm fine. Got sent home rapid as f**k. Doctor couldn't wait to get rid of me. Said it was a risk as I might have a blood clot but it was more of a risk to admit me. Up the road with antibiotics guessing chest infection and into my secure house. Got a mask out of it as well. 

Honestly when I walked in and they were clearly expecting me the staff looked at me like I was a fucking leper. Pretty much pressed up against the walls to let me past. Scrubbed themselves like f**k before they came in the room and after they left it. Looked like pretty robust and heartening procedures in place. Doctor told me that he would normally admit me, but despite the fact he didn't know if they had an infected person in the hospital, he thought it bes to G me TF out of there as quickly as possible. 

Staff were all incredibly sound and professional. Fair fucks to them

20200316_191133.jpg

Good show chief. All out of greenies today but keep us posted. 👍

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Friend in the army says they're getting told they might get sent in ones and twos to mind supermarkets which isn't at all chilling.

Just wait until the government starts rolling out the food stamps.

8 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

People under quarantine in their homes are relying on Amazon for supplies you gormless freak.

No they're not because there are plenty of actual supermarkets with an online order and delivery service. The majority of people under quarantine also have family and friends who can drop off supplies - I've even seen local butchers etc. expanding their delivery service to cover milk etc. to cover those exact groups. Anyone who thinks that Amazon can supply a similar range of grocery needs in the UK is going to be sorely disappointed.

Thanks for playing anyway you permaraging melt.

Edited by vikingTON