Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, The Moonster said:

People are only panic buying because they believe they won't be able to get things. You don't panic buy bog roll if you know the shops open next week. We have had zero information on what our lock down scenario will be. That's not leadership.

The Supermarkets aren't going to shut in any circumstances. The supply chain is already ramping up production for this spike.

The only issue might be if countries stop exporting food but I doubt that will happen. 

The vast majority of people in essential productive industries won't stop working.

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Very much this.  That so many companies seem to be f***ed already suggests that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of rainy day fund planning.  Although I appreciate that some businesses just keep their heads above water, many are quite profitable but tend to give huge chunks of their post-tax profit to their shareholders and have to take a part of the blame for their demise imo.

I for one work as a consultant and keep a rainy day fund in the company account rather than take it all as dividend at the end of the year, whether it be for downturns or a zombie apocalypse lock-in.  However, many (if not most of) folk in a similar role just take it all and then have problems when the work dries out and they can't even cover their basic salary coming out each month.

Hopefully it makes the younger generations think about retirement / pensions as having your standard money flow cut off and hanging around the house most of the time is exactly what it'll be like.  Well, that and a dash of osteoporosis.

That first paragraph is a fall out from 2008. The banks were loaded with debt then and the governments bailed them out. Money became incredibly cheap and the private sector and individuals rattled up debt like there was no tomorrow. For a lot of them, every bump in the road felt like a crater to too many, and an actual crater like this is going to finish a lot of them off.

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That's what happens when you decide to shut down your economy. 

It pains me to say it but Boris is playing this well. Large enough numbers of people have to keep on working - plus plenty of others who will anyway - that any kind of mass closedown is pointless. 

It has to be up to vunerable people to self isolate to minimise deaths. Younger people need to make sure the economy doesn't collapse. 

Except the UK isn't playing it well. They have hummed and hawed and suggested one plan and suggested another and now no one seems to know exactly what the UK is doing.

In other News, All Hotels in the Costa Del Sol to close (joining apartments and aparthotels), Parador Golf Hotel in Malaga / Torremolinos has been requisitioned by the Gov as a temporary hospital (stayed there a few times) and the Mayor of Benalmadena has tested positive for Corona.

Catalonia also has things pretty bad and the President Quim Torra has also tested positive for Corona.

It really is "hotting up" out there.

Just now, Ross. said:

That first paragraph is a fall out from 2008. The banks were loaded with debt then and the governments bailed them out. Money became incredibly cheap and the private sector and individuals rattled up debt like there was no tomorrow. For a lot of them, every bump in the road felt like a crater to too many, and an actual crater like this is going to finish a lot of them off.

Except the UK isn't playing it well. They have hummed and hawed and suggested one plan and suggested another and now no one seems to know exactly what the UK is doing.

It seems obvious that they want the virus to cycle through the parts of the population who are confident in their capacity to withstand it while at risk people self isolate. 

I'm currently on my way home from London and it's been pleasant enough walking through the city given there are so few people around. I am now at City Airport which I'm not too comfortable with but at least I don't work here. 

I noted the post from Ross earlier commenting on the additional carriages being added to Swiss trains to support social distancing. BA have done something similar with their planes by cancelling the 14:40, 15:40 and 18:00 flights to Edinburgh so they can fit everyone onto the 17:10. Did I say they were doing the same - I meant opposite. No happy.

Just now, Detournement said:

It seems obvious that they want the virus to cycle through the parts of the population who are confident in their capacity to withstand it while at risk people self isolate. 

They are giving mixed signals. Not closing the hospitality industry but telling people not to use it?

Just now, HTG said:

I'm currently on my way home from London and it's been pleasant enough walking through the city given there are so few people around. I am now at City Airport which I'm not too comfortable with but at least I don't work here. 

I noted the post from Ross earlier commenting on the additional carriages being added to Swiss trains to support social distancing. BA have done something similar with their planes by cancelling the 14:40, 15:40 and 18:00 flights to Edinburgh so they can fit everyone onto the 17:10. Did I say they were doing the same - I meant opposite. No happy.

#prayforhtg

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

He will need it as the silly b*****d will be in my company tomorrow night...

Sputtering more than usual I suspect. 

That said you'll be carrying the virus of a thousand Portonians or whatever they're called. 

Edited by HTG

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

The Supermarkets aren't going to shut in any circumstances. The supply chain is already ramping up production for this spike.

The only issue might be if countries stop exporting food but I doubt that will happen. 

Although it wouldn't be great in reality, I would 'love' it if the UK had to seek aid for something extremely basic, simply to dish out a reality check to the union flag-waving, 'f*** the refugees' Brexiteer types.

Just now, Ross. said:

They are giving mixed signals. Not closing the hospitality industry but telling people not to use it?

They are letting people judge risk based on their own health. There are only two options which are accept it's going to spread or isolate forever. It's not going away. 

I'm going out for dinner tonight and then the pub quiz to support local businesses and workers. I'm working through this anyway so there is no point cutting down on going out. 

Tae a virus 

Twa months ago, we didna ken,  
yer name or ocht aboot ye
But lots of things have changed since then, 
I really must salute ye
Yer spreading rate is quite intense, 
yer feeding like a gannet
Disruption caused, is so immense, 
ye’ve shaken oor wee planet.

Corona used tae be a beer, 
they garnished it wae limes
But noo it’s filled us awe wae fear
These days, are scary times.
Nae shakin hawns, or peckin lips, 
it’s whit they awe advise
But scrub them weel, richt tae the tips, 
that’s how we’ll awe survive
Just stay inside , the hoose, ye bide
Nae sneakin  oot for strolls
Just check the lavvy every hoor
And stock-take, your loo rolls

Our holidays have been pit aff
Noo that’s the Jet2 patter
Pit oan yer thermals, have a laugh
And paddle ‘ doon the waater ‘
Canary isles, no for a while
Nae need for suntan cream
And awe because o this wee bug
We ken tae be..19

The boredom surely will set in,
But have a read, or doodle
Or plan yer menu for the month
Wi 95 pot noodles.
When these run oot, just look about
A change, it would be nice
We’ve beans and pasta By the ton
and twenty stane o rice.

So dinny think yell wipe us oot
Aye true, a few have died
Bubonic, bird flu, and Tb
They came, they left, they tried
Ye might be gallus noo ma freen
As ye jump fae cup tae cup
But when we get oor vaccine
Yer number will be up.

eta      Anon.   (it wisnae me)

Edited by cyderspaceman

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They are letting people judge risk based on their own health. There are only two options which are accept it's going to spread or isolate forever. It's not going away. 

I'm going out for dinner tonight and then the pub quiz to support local businesses and workers. I'm working through this anyway so there is no point cutting down on going out. 

In other words, if the UK approach turns out not to be a success they are going to blame the populace for being bad judges of their own health, completely removing them from any position of fault.

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I'm only an advanced nurse practitioner mate.   I'm having a grand old day, my throat is sore, and I feel like shit, on a plus side no cough and my temp is fine.

Was in Pentland medical centre the other day and the ladies on the front desk have all this red and white crime scene-style tape up, keeping the punters well away from their desk. Looks a wise move. 

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My treatment is going ahead tomorrow. They are temperature checking everyone coming into the hospital and anyone with an elevated temp will get a swab. Got to hang about for 1.5 hours whilst my bloods are checked. Will need to sit in the car.

It's business as usual in the Macmillan Suite @welshbairn 

One of the grandsons has Crohns disease, he has to get blood taken today, he's been told it'll be done in the car.

Mind you, he mind have misunderstood, he isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

Edited by Jacksgranda
f***** up

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

In other words, if the UK approach turns out not to be a success they are going to blame the populace for being bad judges of their own health, completely removing them from any position of fault.

Thatcher's mantra - "We are the party of choice"

Translation - When it all goes breests up, don't blame us........

And that is how the Tories roll, unfortunately....

First day working from home today. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding it easier said than done; it's too easy to just think that I'm simply at home. I'm actually wishing I had a firm deadline in the near future to help get into the habit of doing actual work in this environment.

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, though.

Edited by The Master