Coronavirus (COVID-19)

My treatment is going ahead tomorrow. They are temperature checking everyone coming into the hospital and anyone with an elevated temp will get a swab. Got to hang about for 1.5 hours whilst my bloods are checked. Will need to sit in the car.

It's business as usual in the Macmillan Suite @welshbairn 

25 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Fears emerging the ~ 140k people said to be laid off in Ireland might, in the coming weeks, prove to be a drastic underestimate 

That's what happens when you decide to shut down your economy. 

It pains me to say it but Boris is playing this well. Large enough numbers of people have to keep on working - plus plenty of others who will anyway - that any kind of mass closedown is pointless. 

It has to be up to vunerable people to self isolate to minimise deaths. Younger people need to make sure the economy doesn't collapse. 

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

From my general observations, I can't help but feel that the neglected office plants are going to be the forgotten fallen victims of this epidemic.

#lestweforget

I've no sympathy for management spies in the workplace. Oh, as you were.

Think this is right . Already know of people being asked to take half pay or 2 months unpaid leave . If you're living payday to payday this will be a killer . Bound to see unemployment soar in the next 6 mths. 
The economic impacts will be far worse than the health impacts. 
I said this as well, I really regret calling it selfish as some are zero hour contracts etc.
You do have to question why people would get a 25k car or house 50k above their means though. Some sort of status thing?
Also credit companies to blame, de regulation of the banks.

23 minutes ago, red23 said:

Although i take absolutely no joy in this, this could be an extremely harsh learning period for people who insist on continually trying to live well beyond their means and entirely on credit. 

I drive a 10 year old car and at work get taken the piss out of by folk on 20k a year with cars they are paying £350 a month on. I know couples who pay out around £1500 credit a month purely on credit - their jobs are now at risk.

Recently spoke to someone about their new house, they had no idea how much it was or will end up paying other than "its £600 a month" no idea about term of mortgage or anything like that. The comment was "its cheaper than the last house i had" (despite it clearly being a more expensive property they are only basing it on monthly payments.)

Sadly there are going to be a lot of casualty cases.

Very much this.  That so many companies seem to be f***ed already suggests that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of rainy day fund planning.  Although I appreciate that some businesses just keep their heads above water, many are quite profitable but tend to give huge chunks of their post-tax profit to their shareholders and have to take a part of the blame for their demise imo.

I for one work as a consultant and keep a rainy day fund in the company account rather than take it all as dividend at the end of the year, whether it be for downturns or a zombie apocalypse lock-in.  However, many (if not most of) folk in a similar role just take it all and then have problems when the work dries out and they can't even cover their basic salary coming out each month.

Hopefully it makes the younger generations think about retirement / pensions as having your standard money flow cut off and hanging around the house most of the time is exactly what it'll be like.  Well, that and a dash of osteoporosis.

1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My treatment is going ahead tomorrow. They are temperature checking everyone coming into the hospital and anyone with an elevated temp will get a swab. Got to hang about for 1.5 hours whilst my bloods are checked. Will need to sit in the car.

It's business as usual in the Macmillan Suite @welshbairn 

P&B is your friend....(mind you, so is ygerbil).

Just now, Detournement said:

That's what happens when you decide to shut down your economy. 

It pains me to say it but Boris is playing this well. Large enough numbers of people have to keep on working - plus plenty of others who will anyway - that any kind of mass closedown is pointless. 

It has to be up to vunerable people to self isolate to minimise deaths. Younger people need to make sure the economy doesn't collapse. 

The supermarkets are running out of essential supplies precisely because he's a blundering fool. Everyone is aware we're heading for "lock down" but nobody really understands what that means. If Johnson had said three weeks ago "We are heading towards a lock down scenario in a matter of weeks, however we want to stress that essential supplies such as food stores and medicine will be readily available for people who need it during this time" we'd see a lot less panic buying from people. He's put out massively conflicting advice one day after the other and coupled with scary info coming from other countries it's caused mass panic.

We absolutely cannot pat him on the back here, he is not leading the country.

You can't blame the government for panic buying. It's human nature to want some security and that's what has caused the problem.

There are no shortages. There are only supply chain problems due to panic buying which will hopefully die down in the coming weeks.

Edited by Detournement

In a financial sense say a business was trying to meet £200m a quarter or something but had enough to break even. What is the point in keeping open if it would probably be wiped out on the stock market?
Are people needlessly working?

Boris seems to be going with his science advisers. The plan of letting it out now when hopefully at risk people will be very cautious should reduce the number of infectious people later in the year. 

It's worth remembering that Sinn Fein are hovering over Vardakar in Ireland and it's the same with the Lega in Italy. Due to the election we probably have the least political pressure on our response in Europe. 

Edited by Detournement

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

You can't blame the government for panic buying. It's human nature to want some security and that's what has caused the problem.

There are no shortages. There are only supply chain problems due to panic buying which will hopefully die down in the coming weeks.

People are only panic buying because they believe they won't be able to get things. You don't panic buy bog roll if you know the shops open next week. We have had zero information on what our lock down scenario will be. That's not leadership.

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Very much this.  That so many companies seem to be f***ed already suggests that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of rainy day fund planning.  Although I appreciate that some businesses just keep their heads above water, many are quite profitable but tend to give huge chunks of their post-tax profit to their shareholders and have to take a part of the blame for their demise imo.

I for one work as a consultant and keep a rainy day fund in the company account rather than take it all as dividend at the end of the year, whether it be for downturns or a zombie apocalypse lock-in.  However, many (if not most of) folk in a similar role just take it all and then have problems when the work dries out and they can't even cover their basic salary coming out each month.

Hopefully it makes the younger generations think about retirement / pensions as having your standard money flow cut off and hanging around the house most of the time is exactly what it'll be like.  Well, that and a dash of osteoporosis.

It's a culture of short termism and has been for the past 30 years, although it's been getting progressively worse.

CEO's and Boards in conjunction with the large shareholders such as the institutions and hedgefunds actively drive it and when the profit ceiling is hit they pull out and move on to their next victim. It used to be called asset stripping.

Capitalism isn't bad per se but real capitalism is about continuously investing in your company and your workforce, through upgrading of machinery, staff training etc, however in this society all that's out the window as that dents profit.

Let's just say the Chickens are coming home to roost for many......