Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On the plus side, according to the Imperial College boys, we won't all die. Even for the over 80's it's less than10%* of those who catch it.

*Big if..not sure if that figure assumes NHS has the resources to care for the hospitalised ones.

image.png.b946e9ab5697361d49075a6a48753859.png

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, RossDee01 said:

I realise that, but taking the number of cases from the entire world and confining them to 1 country with a 100% death rate still only kills 0.013% of that country. Doesn’t make sense to me.

What you are saying doesn't really make sense to me either. China is like 18% of the global population anyway, so its not the best example for your logic.

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm looking out for October holiday bargains.

16virus-projections-03-superJumbo.png?qu

From my understanding (reading the Imperial College report in bed at 2am) that graph is highlighing ICU beds required if we use the 'mitigate' method which relies on herd immunity which makes the curve dip quickly again.

They're recommending the 'supress' method which the UK government is now starting to enact - this probably means we have ot keep measures such as social distancing in place until a vaccine is available (estimated 18 months), or at least for 2/3rds of that time. 

It's looking like holidays, football leagues and group activities of any sorts could take a back seat until summer 2021.

58 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Are companies telling their employees this?  I doubt all but the stupidest of employers are giving the exact opposite advice to their employees.

Last week my employer told us if we wanted to self isolate and we didn't show symptoms of the virus or have a confirmed case of the virus, that we would need to use holidays to cover that time.

There must be loads of companies who don't want to take the decision to close down and as such until the government tell them it's mandatory to shut down they'll expect their employees to go to work.

Last week my employer told us if we wanted to self isolate and we didn't show symptoms of the virus or have a confirmed case of the virus, that we would need to use holidays to cover that time.
There must be loads of companies who don't want to take the decision to close down and as such until the government tell them it's mandatory to shut down they'll expect their employees to go to work.
Yeah, a surprising amount of people on this thread seem unaware of just how much of an arsehole lots of employers are.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Are companies telling their employees this?  I doubt all but the stupidest of employers are giving the exact opposite advice to their employees.

My employer said I have to go in. They are in discussions now but only have so many licences for people to work from home. The twats.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

What you are saying doesn't really make sense to me either. China is like 18% of the global population anyway, so its not the best example for your logic.

Yes, but it’s the country where the virus started, where there have been the most cases and a country which is recovering.

For my part, I will get paid if I self isolate, but there is no working from home, no shutting down. The show will go on and my work will not be told by the government to shut down under any but the most dire of circumstances. I will have to work all the way through this.

Having said that, I only really come into any sort of proximity to 4 or 5 folk in a working day.

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

So for a bit of practical advice, my anniversary is soon and we had planned to have a night away somewhere and go out for dinner etc.

I assume it would be foolish to book a hotel anywhere at this moment?

You'll probably get a great deal right now.

33 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I don't follow your logic.

If the thing has died down by October then lots of folk will be desperate to get a holiday, the firms will be desperate for cash and will milk the situation by raising prices.

Or have I got it all wrong?

They'll be desperate for any money coming in whatsoever at the moment, offering free cancellation at bargain prices. I'd have thought anyway. Wouldn't pay more than a deposit though, a fair few are likely to go bust.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

My employer said I have to go in. They are in discussions now but only have some many licences for people to work from home. The twats.

Yes, I mentioned this last week. To the average punter the words "working from home" sound like that's easy enough just give them a laptop etc. However the reality is much much different. You would require to purchase / source hundreds or even thousands of laptops at short notice, you would require Risk departments to sign it off, you would require lots of IT setups and individual licences for various applications.

This can't just happen overnight or even in the space of a week or two and that's if it's even viable in the first place.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

They'll be desperate for any money coming in whatsoever at the moment, offering free cancellation at bargain prices. I'd have thought anyway.

OK I see, booking in advance, Fair enough but only if the company is still in business come October. Roll the dice right enough.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I mentioned this last week. To the average punter the words "working from home" sound like that's easy enough just give them a laptop etc. However the reality is much much different. You would require to purchase / source hundreds or even thousands of laptops at short notice, you would require Risk departments to sign it off, you would require lots of IT setups and individual licences for various applications.

This can't just happen overnight or even in the space of a week or two and that's if it's even viable in the first place.

I'm a mechanic, how am I meant to "work at home"?

I'll be forced to go into work, and then I'll inevitably get abuse for "endangering others", as if I can afford to go months on "sick pay" when I've got a mortgage and family without any more financial help.