Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Apologies if this has already been shared, but this is the report to read - it's the Imperial College report that informed tonight's new policies. It makes for very grim reading - not just for the number of deaths anticipated, but for the lack of options to seriously diminish that figure. Aggressive measures mean the same number of deaths, only later, and 18 months of social distancing.

It's only 16 pages long (plus citations) and is exceptionally readable for a scientific paper.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Something else worth bearing in mind - this Scottish study shows that unemployment caused an 85% increase in mortality in men, and a 50% increase in mortality among women. These are very serious numbers. Not shutting down society will kill people, but shutting down society will kill people too.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4677456/ 

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

When we went tits up in 2012 the whole of P&B became tax and accountancy experts.  Now they are all epidemiologists.

Still the same sociopathic fannies, though.

You should be used to being in isolation on here, Kincy.

How are you holding up?

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Hale and hearty, bud.  Nothing to hold up against.

Serious (non banter) question.  How are you doing?  I don't know the whole story but what's your health situation?

Glad to hear you're well.

I'm ok thanks. Am classed as high risk given I'm mid cycle of chemotherapy but then again, I've been high risk all winter with regard to the flu.

The scaremongering and hysteria over this has been mind-blowing!

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

The worried well, the hysterical and those with a political axe to grind - IE 80% of P&B.

You seem to be being well treated.  Best wishes.

Thanks. Same with you, bud.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Thanks for the balanced article.

*suzi.JPG.ca8b9c7e46f8cd3e1743a4595d1df5a3.JPG

It's not balanced because adopting a herd immunity approach without a vaccine is horrific,a joke etc. Maybe you can present the argument that balances by telling us how the herd immunity approach is  a good approach without a vaccine? 

8 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

That 2 minutes has reminded me why I’ve not watched South Park, for the best part of about 15 years. 

It was your earlier post about how you were hoping to get a cheap holiday somewhere on the back of this which made me think of it.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's expected to have a similar mortality rate as SARS, which officially was around 9.6%, but unofficially was over 10%.

Based on what? The mortality rate of the infected on record is still below 1%.

I’m a teacher, I’ve also had asthma my whole life and get flu jabs every year. It’s the lack of concrete information about what I do and the uncertainty that is playing on my mind. I’m not totally against keeping the schools open for now, we are providing an essential service for the general population, however I also get angry when thinking about being exposed every day to the virus (potentially) and then going home to my own family.

Well, after a day free of symptoms I am taking government advice and going back to work today. Worst death rattle ever, a 72 hour cold.

Would say that about half the usual number of punters are on the train today and the train chaps have put an extra few carriages into service, I assume to help with the social distancing.

Due into Zürich shortly, interested to see exactly how busy it is there, as I’ll be arriving just as rush hour kicks off.

8 minutes ago, Romeo said:
13 minutes ago, tree house tam said:
I've never eaten a Fray Bentos before, should I try it before the virus takes hold?

It depends, do you like nice tasting food?

Of course, I usually make my own steak pie and people actually ask me to do so. Hence the reason I've never tried one in a tin. Is it an experience worth having?

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Thanks for the balanced article.

*suzi.JPG.ca8b9c7e46f8cd3e1743a4595d1df5a3.JPG

When we went tits up in 2012 the whole of P&B became tax and accountancy experts.  Now they are all epidemiologists.

Still the same sociopathic fannies, though.

The worried well, the hysterical and those with a political axe to grind - IE 80% of P&B.

You seem to be being well treated.  Best wishes.

Posted 4 hours ago. Someone's enjoying isolation!