Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

The theory I've seen is this shutdown is going to last months. If they blanket ban now, the stupid quotient will be flouting it within days and, like Italy, the whole thing will fall apart. However, if they make it voluntary at first, the majority will obey then get extremely pissed off at the stupid quotient flouting it. So when they do enforce it, the public will support the measure and self-police.

Who knows if they're right? The only thing we have to go on is Italy, who fucked it up.

That kind of shut down is probably not enforceable over months. It'd be wall street crash proportions of economic damage.

At most it's designed to flatten the curve through the fast growth stage, cant see it lasting longer than a few weeks.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

But why shouldn't they ?

We were just told this afternoon by our CEO that the company cared about us, blah, blah, blah, however the upshot of all the bollocks was that the show must go on and everyone would still be expected to turn up to our large City City Centre office as usual.

The majority of our 1,000+ workforce commute from Renfrewshire, Ayrshire and Lanarkshire so while we're being told by Gov to avoid social contact and only necessary travel etc, the reality is for most of us that we'll still be expected to turn up for work each day in crowded offices etc. So basically all the health and safety advice may work great in Governments fantasy world but back in the real world it's a completely different story.

Incidentally Schools remain open, Courts remain open and despite the rhetoric it's business as usual for most of us.

So personally I see no issue with going for a pint, especially if all the rest is deemed to be not only acceptable, but expected.

Trains, the office, off your family

That's usually where I've picked up a cold from

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The majority of our 1,000+ workforce commute from Renfrewshire, Ayrshire and Lanarkshire so while we're being told by Gov to avoid social contact and only necessary travel etc, the reality is for most of us that we'll still be expected to turn up for work each day in crowded offices etc. So basically all the health and safety advice may work great in Governments fantasy world but back in the real world it's a completely different story.

Incidentally Schools remain open, Courts remain open and despite the rhetoric it's business as usual for most of us.

So personally I see no issue with going for a pint, especially if all the rest is deemed to be not only acceptable, but expected.

Fair point, but it's about reducing the spread and load on the NHS as much as feasible, not closing everything down. It might change for you fairly quickly, but NHS, supermarket, lots of other workers will still need transport to keep things going. Closing pubs is a way of reducing it, not shutting it off.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Fair point, but it's about reducing the spread and load on the NHS as much as feasible, not closing everything down. It might change for you fairly quickly, but NHS, supermarket, lots of other workers will still need transport to keep things going. Closing pubs is a way of reducing it, not shutting it off.

Closing schools is a feasible and blatantly obvious way to reduce the spread but the government is one of a handful on the entire continent that aren't doing so. The government are also advising that people should avoid all possible social interaction just four days after they waved through hundreds of thousands of people attending matches in the English and Scottish top flights at the weekend as being just fine.

There is no consistent nor logical plan being implemented here.

Not that I drink there anyway but I think I’d certainly be giving the manky ‘spoons a miss.

My wee local in a village of 3,000 with a fastidious OCD bar staff that is forever bleaching the bar while I’m trying to protect my pint from  her Flash? I think I’ll risk it...

17 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

The theory I've seen is this shutdown is going to last months. If they blanket ban now, the stupid quotient will be flouting it within days and, like Italy, the whole thing will fall apart. However, if they make it voluntary at first, the majority will obey then get extremely pissed off at the stupid quotient flouting it. So when they do enforce it, the public will support the measure and self-police.

Who knows if they're right? The only thing we have to go on is Italy, who fucked it up.

No, we also have the cases of South Korea and SIngapore who didn't f**k about with pish like strongly advising people to stay apart four weeks ago and have got measurably better outcomes than Italy.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Closing schools is a feasible and blatantly obvious way to reduce the spread but the government is one of a handful on the entire continent that aren't doing so. The government are also advising that people should avoid all possible social interaction just four days after they waved through hundreds of thousands of people attending matches in the English and Scottish top flights at the weekend as being just fine.

There is no consistent nor logical plan being implemented here.

Don't think it's that simple. Who's going to watch the toxic kids when they're not at school, especially the offspring of key workers?

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yes, you are right of course, but I was more just trying to make the point that for most of us it's just not feasible as the majority of employers are still expecting us to work, irrespective of whether our jobs are deemed to be "key" or not. (For the avoidance of doubt I work in finance as opposed to the Emergency services etc).

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

No, we also have the cases of South Korea and SIngapore who didn't f**k about with pish like strongly advising people to stay apart four weeks ago and have got measurably better outcomes than Italy.

I dont think Singapore ever got as far as their code red, which called for social distancing. They managed the outbreak clusters so well it wasnt needed.

I was there for two weeks at the start of February. The sheer difference in public reaction is incredible.

Edited by renton

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Don't think it's that simple. Who's going to watch the toxic kids when they're not at school, especially the offspring of key workers?

There are already childcare provisions being made for critical staff like NHS workers. Meanwhile, in the Netherlands, the children of critical workers are the only ones allowed to still go to school for supervision  while the other kids are confined at home to be looked after by their own parents.

It is nowhere as problematic as you think it is - based entirely on the UK government's self-serving and mealy-mouthed excuses - which is why nearly every affected country in the EU has already closed them.

Edited by vikingTON

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My work has officially told everyone to work from home, if we can.

Considering not cutting my hair, shaving or washing until we are back in the office, I’m going full Howard Hughes.

I said to my son ten min ago I was taking him for a haircut before lockdown. He hates getting his hair cut so he’s hoping for months of it!