Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Mrs WRK was due to go to a hen weekend there this Friday (her business partner's daughter's)*. The look of relief when her flights were cancelled was actually pretty touching.

*Worth pointing out that she and her partner would have been the oldest there by a couple of decades.

She'd have spent hours picking the right chicken for your soup too...

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

He probably was - but on a forum dominated by Tory-loathing, drama queenery and a certain herd mentality it's no surprise that his view was unpopular.

I’ll give you £5 for your jar of herring. 

Absolutely not, been here for many years and you can tell the real dealers from the guys with crushed up paracetamol plus I've not had any chemicals for a long long time.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out when everyone starts running out of weed.

Curious if there will be an overall illicit drug shortage because of the tighter, closed borders; and the fact most people will probably be self-isolating instead of muling ching into Aberdeen Harbour.

Interesting article: 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-nhs-doctor-warns-we-are-already-at-breaking-point-11958542

I do not just worry for the very frail and the elderly, I worry for the slightly older but ultimately fit people who could get better, but only with the right care.

6 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Curious if there will be an overall illicit drug shortage because of the tighter, closed borders; and the fact most people will probably be self-isolating instead of muling ching into Aberdeen Harbour.

Massive queues outside the coffeeshops last night when it was announced everything was closing, I'm sure someone here will make a fortune while stocks last, it's going to be like The Wire.

So Johnson and his advisers agree that the best thing at this stage is for people to stop all unnecessary public interaction but are unwilling to take the steps that other countries have to enforce this?

Complete abdication of responsibility by the Prime Minister.

My work has officially told everyone to work from home, if we can.

Considering not cutting my hair, shaving or washing until we are back in the office, I’m going full Howard Hughes.

Just now, ICTChris said:

My work has officially told everyone to work from home, if we can.

Considering not cutting my hair, shaving or washing until we are back in the office, I’m going full Howard Hughes.

Come back to work with dreds

1 hour ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Shouldn't you be getting your wee boat in prime condition for the work that lies ahead rather than dossing on Pie & Bovril? Early indications of cabin fever developing within the P & B community (WhiteRoseKillie can go stir-crazy). We'll end up like Chaplin and his room-mate in The Gold Rush; except you will hallucinate your nearest and dearest as multi-packs of de-luxe toilet rolls.

That would be an improvement on the reality...

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

So Johnson and his advisers agree that the best thing at this stage is for people to stop all unnecessary public interaction but are unwilling to take the steps that other countries have to enforce this?

The theory I've seen is this shutdown is going to last months. If they blanket ban now, the stupid quotient will be flouting it within days and, like Italy, the whole thing will fall apart. However, if they make it voluntary at first, the majority will obey then get extremely pissed off at the stupid quotient flouting it. So when they do enforce it, the public will support the measure and self-police.

Who knows if they're right? The only thing we have to go on is Italy, who fucked it up.

2 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

The theory I've seen is this shutdown is going to last months. If they blanket ban now, the stupid quotient will be flouting it within days and, like Italy, the whole thing will fall apart. However, if they make it voluntary at first, the majority will obey then get extremely pissed off at the stupid quotient flouting it. So when they do enforce it, the public will support the measure and self-police.

Who knows if they're right? The only thing we have to go on is Italy, who fucked it up.

Self police

Sort of like in death wish 2

Just now, NewBornBairn said:

That’s one interpretation, but it is predicated on the idea that morons will stop being morons after a short time.  I doubt it.

If social distancing is what is required at this time we cannot rely on its effectiveness being dictated by the morons.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

We’ve to avoid pubs, restaurants, non-essential channel etc now. I can’t help but feel an official ban on them would’ve been better, given a large % of this country will still go.

But why shouldn't they ?

We were just told this afternoon by our CEO that the company cared about us, blah, blah, blah, however the upshot of all the bollocks was that the show must go on and everyone would still be expected to turn up to our large City City Centre office as usual.

The majority of our 1,000+ workforce commute from Renfrewshire, Ayrshire and Lanarkshire so while we're being told by Gov to avoid social contact and only necessary travel etc, the reality is for most of us that we'll still be expected to turn up for work each day in crowded offices etc. So basically all the health and safety advice may work great in Governments fantasy world but back in the real world it's a completely different story.

Incidentally Schools remain open, Courts remain open and despite the rhetoric it's business as usual for most of us.

So personally I see no issue with going for a pint, especially if all the rest is deemed to be not only acceptable, but expected.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Avoiding enforcing a shut down I can only assume is to protect against loss of income lawsuits