Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, bendan said:

The death rate might well go up, because they are only testing people in hospital now, and only the more serious cases will get to hospital. I think they should put out an estimated infections figure every day to stop people panicking over the death rate.

The estimate now is 5000-10000, daily updates would be meaningless.

50 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Not necessarily, they could be quite easily downplayed.

For instance I have COPD, if I get this and then die my death certificate could read - cause of death: Complications due to emphysema.

The fact you would have had coronavirus would definitely be recorded somewhere,but it's possible your family wouldn't be able to access that information without asking.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

emoji106.pngYep I’m sure you won’t be.
Just trying to make the point that there is a legal obligation to disclose Coronavirus should such an event come to pass.
As others have said concerns over the death rate will be increased because we don’t have an accurate denominator for the total number of cases. The number of deaths will be pretty accurate and the mortality will look higher than it is.

Only if people are that f****** stupid that they don't realise that because we don't know the number of cases the % death rate means f*** all.

Hmmm, you might have a point.

51 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I

Poland another prime example, the narrative that our Government and media love to hear repeated is the old moronic favourite of "why are they all over here then" ? This makes people believe that Poland is a very poor country and miles behind the UK in living standards and basic public services etc, however NOTHING could be further from the truth.

So, so true. Average disposable household income in the West Midlands is lower than in the regions of Warsaw, Bucharest, Vilnius, Prague and Bratislava, as well as every region of mainland France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Austria and Northern Italy. Probably Switzerland, Norway and Iceland too. The British are the least wealthy people in north-western Europe yet how many people would just refuse to believe that? 

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

The fact you would have had coronavirus would definitely be recorded somewhere,but it's possible your family wouldn't be able to access that information without asking.

Listen if I get it and die, she'll be dead, too...

18 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Britain's media really does love the "bread and circuses" ethos.

I listen to 5 live while driving to work in the morning - from about 0610 until 0700. This morning, with no sport to speak of at the weekend*, they were reduced to repeating phone-in calls from the weekend.

I could have filled an hour easily asking questions of the Government, like when did the Telegraph become an official communication channel, why we're not receiving daily briefings from the Prime fucking Minister of the country, exactly what level of mortality do our masters expect the country to just "take on the chin" - but the BBC can't, even now, channel even one percent of the anger I'm hearing all around me and demand answers on behalf of the people who fund it. All we get is discussions as to what boxsets the presenter will be watching if they'r e self-isolating - again, I'd like to hear some tips for people asked to self-isolate who are in shared or overcrowded accommodation, temporary digs, or even homeless. You know, actual useful stuff.

Aye UK are really poor about keeping people informed. NZ health ministry have a daily live briefing. This is in a country with eight confirmed cases.   However in terms of people arriving here, if you got off a plane from overseas after 1am Monday morning you are required to self isolate for two weeks. The TV stations were interviewing people at the airport saying "I'm not going to self isolate, catch me if you can". One absolute dick got tested for coronavirus in Australia (so it can be safely assumed he was a suspected case). Next thing he does is jump on a plane to NZ  and go out to restaurant in Wellington, the following day he is confirmed as having the virus. 

44 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

British propaganda OK, though?

Christ, one minute I'm being told off for Tory-bashing, the next I'm getting grief for suggesting that the Chinese govt is evil.

Russia, China, US, UK - all their govts are absolute shiters, and all control their countries' media narratives. I would have pre-stated that in my original post if I hadn't thought it was blindingly obvious.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

You've got to love celebrities doing their bit to help spread the message..

Some Nigerian award show apparently, many were making a statement wearing blinged up facemasks, this one with the message

"let's join hands to fight covid19"

Yes, that should do it...

IMG_0991.thumb.PNG.2a269c6e0423a2baac772a1159ef1080.PNG

ff482db40daa0fb97f509a966a509a97.jpg