Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Except the mortality rate

Not necessarily, they could be quite easily downplayed.

For instance I have COPD, if I get this and then die my death certificate could read - cause of death: Complications due to emphysema.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, but most media outlets/attention seekers, dont remove them from the figures.

See this site, which is used by many to get the worldwide figures...

Screenshot_20200316-104505_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b8805b5e1ba70cbbdd7692d084703775.jpg

... people are running with the headline figure (OVER 170K INFECTED BY VIRUS JUST NOW), when the reality is theres half of that figure.

Agreed - this kind of thing gets on my tits.  I often read things like over 60 million people use our services every year - no they fucking don't because there ain't that many people living in the country - more like 1.2 million people using it every week .  

You know what they say about statistics. 

57 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

thatll be the absolutely massive british army,aye?

Very good point. I've just this morning been at a Covi-19 Contingency meeting in my H&S capacity. Number one takeaway was that the Prison System has always factored in support from other agencies into emergency planning - that simply ain't gonna be available this time. Even if they had the numbers, this is an equal-opportunity virus, so Police, MoD, NHS, Fire Service and the like will have their own issues. In fact, all those named above will be facing extra workload as it is.

All present were advised, also, to keep up to date by checking the HMPPS home page, which I did half an hour ago. "Last updated 13/3/20"

As I said earlier, the extent to which we're absolutely fucked gets greater all the time

I'd love to keep the whole issue non-political, but it's difficult when you've got the Health Secretary wanting to put the elderly in camps and the Prime Minister wanting them to come back to work in order to operate non-existent ventilators in imaginary beds.

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I always find it amusing when people in this country automatically believe that the likes of the Russians & Chinese are evil regimes who suppress information from their citizens etc but the UK is somehow held up as a beacon of virtue.

Strangely, when I'm abroad I tend to find out much much more from the local news stations about the rest of Europe and even the UK than what I get from my own News.

We report loads of nonsense in this country about Z list celebrities and like to have little stories about complete trivialities which are better suited to the pages of a women's magazine as opposed to an actual news channel.

Dress it up however you like, but it's still a form of suppressing the News.

As a quick example, Pension ages in the UK against the rest of Europe and also levels of payment are extremely relevant but never actively discussed, as undoubtedly this would cause anger and outrage among many in our population.

Is this being suppressed ?

I'd say Yes. 

Basically the message here is that Britain is indeed "great" and our citizens have "never had it so good", however it's only when you travel and open up your eyes that you begin to see the truth for what it is.

Poland another prime example, the narrative that our Government and media love to hear repeated is the old moronic favourite of "why are they all over here then" ? This makes people believe that Poland is a very poor country and miles behind the UK in living standards and basic public services etc, however NOTHING could be further from the truth.

1/ I never said that

2/ That's a bit sexist

3/ It's a bit of a jump from "Why are they (Poles) all over here" to "It must be a very poor country". I've never heard anyone come out with the second statement.

I think the bolded statements say more about your attitudes than other people's.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

For instance I have COPD, if I get this and then die my death certificate could read - cause of death: Complications due to emphysema.

That's a fair point but that can happen in normal situations anyway - we cannot legislate for medical technicalities for want of a better expression.  I don't believe there is any kind of agenda to do this.

I was more referring to the fact that the number of deaths won't increase because they are testing more people (should come down in fact) but the number of infections will rise so the mortality rate will fall.  

Just now, hk blues said:

That's a fair point but that can happen in normal situations anyway - we cannot legislate for medical technicalities for want of a better expression.  I don't believe there is any kind of agenda to do this.

I was more referring to the fact that the number of deaths won't increase because they are testing more people (should come down in fact) but the number of infections will rise so the mortality rate will fall.  

Neither do I, I was just being contrary! :lol:

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

At the moment it Could be the other way around.  
I wonder how many of those in the U.K. who have died of the virus may had died even if they hadn’t contracted it.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

At the moment it Could be the other way around.  
I wonder how many of those in the U.K. who have died of the virus may had died even if they hadn’t contracted it.

They were bound to die at some point, maybe just not now.

46 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

We shouldn't be reposting Chinese propaganda.

The Chinese govt has already been ramping up the efforts with nonsense stories about sending staff to Italy, then the Jack Ma donation etc, both of which went absolutely wild on reddit. 

Then the stories of cases being imported into China - although clearly true - are obviously being worded so as to try and make people forget where it started.

Then this nonsense US caused it theory - that the BBC would report that is just playing right into their hands.

British propaganda OK, though?

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

They were bound to die at some point, maybe just not now.

Yeah I think we’re all going to die at some point.  I have had that in my P&B profile since I joined!

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Very good point. I've just this morning been at a Covi-19 Contingency meeting in my H&S capacity. Number one takeaway was that the Prison System has always factored in support from other agencies into emergency planning - that simply ain't gonna be available this time. Even if they had the numbers, this is an equal-opportunity virus, so Police, MoD, NHS, Fire Service and the like will have their own issues. In fact, all those named above will be facing extra workload as it is.

All present were advised, also, to keep up to date by checking the HMPPS home page, which I did half an hour ago. "Last updated 13/3/20"

As I said earlier, the extent to which we're absolutely fucked gets greater all the time

I'd love to keep the whole issue non-political, but it's difficult when you've got the Health Secretary wanting to put the elderly in camps and the Prime Minister wanting them to come back to work in order to operate non-existent ventilators in imaginary beds.

All out anarchy is probably only a few weeks away as we stand.

Wait until the businesses start falling like dominoes and we'll have mass unemployment, bitterness, frustration, anger and a feeling of desperation and uselessness, that only can lead to one thing and it's a thing the younger ones have never encountered and that the rest of us haven't seen since the late 80's early 90's.

Add to this the fact that there's no release valves this time around due to Sports and Recreational activities being shutdown and things could get very interesting indeed.

#Alwayslookonthebrightsideoflife

Guest Bob Mahelp
16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I always find it amusing when people in this country automatically believe that the likes of the Russians & Chinese are evil regimes who suppress information from their citizens etc but the UK is somehow held up as a beacon of virtue.

Strangely, when I'm abroad I tend to find out much much more from the local news stations about the rest of Europe and even the UK than what I get from my own News.

We report loads of nonsense in this country about Z list celebrities and like to have little stories about complete trivialities which are better suited to the pages of a women's magazine as opposed to an actual news channel.

Dress it up however you like, but it's still a form of suppressing the News.

As a quick example, Pension ages in the UK against the rest of Europe and also levels of payment are extremely relevant but never actively discussed, as undoubtedly this would cause anger and outrage among many in our population.

Is this being suppressed ?

I'd say Yes. 

Basically the message here is that Britain is indeed "great" and our citizens have "never had it so good", however it's only when you travel and open up your eyes that you begin to see the truth for what it is.

Poland another prime example, the narrative that our Government and media love to hear repeated is the old moronic favourite of "why are they all over here then" ? This makes people believe that Poland is a very poor country and miles behind the UK in living standards and basic public services etc, however NOTHING could be further from the truth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

I visited the Newseum in Washington DC and they give a lot of detail on 'press freedom' in each country.

The UK is currently ranked 33rd on a global list (our ranking has decreased considerably since the Tories took power in 2010).

We're still ranked above the USA (48th), which is ranked below the likes of Romania and Burkina Faso for press freedoms. 

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

1/ I never said that

2/ That's a bit sexist

3/ It's a bit of a jump from "Why are they (Poles) all over here" to "It must be a very poor country". I've never heard anyone come out with the second statement.

I think the bolded statements say more about your attitudes than other people's.

1. Didn't say you did.

2. Maybe, but True.

3. Heard it often.

I don't hide my attitudes or beliefs and don't go around the forum talking about others, rumour mongering, twisting words or indeed looking for green upticks. I'm far from perfect but at least I'm honest and willing to see other peoples viewpoints even if I don't always agree with them.

What can I say, this forum would be far better place if some of the posters practiced what they preached.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

All out anarchy is probably only a few weeks away as we stand.

Wait until the businesses start falling like dominoes and we'll have mass unemployment, bitterness, frustration, anger and a feeling of desperation and uselessness, that only can lead to one thing and it's a thing the younger ones have never encountered and that the rest of us haven't seen since the late 80's early 90's.

Add to this the fact that there's no release valves this time around due to Sports and Recreational activities being shutdown and things could get very interesting indeed.

#Alwayslookonthebrightsideoflife

:lol:

Lovely sunny day here in Amsterdam, pretty much everything is shut and folk are supposed to be working from home and have been told to try and keep a few meters distance from each other, are they listening? Nope the parks are full, folk are treating it like its a holiday.