Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

We shouldn't be reposting Chinese propaganda.

The Chinese govt has already been ramping up the efforts with nonsense stories about sending staff to Italy, then the Jack Ma donation etc, both of which went absolutely wild on reddit. 

Then the stories of cases being imported into China - although clearly true - are obviously being worded so as to try and make people forget where it started.

Then this nonsense US caused it theory - that the BBC would report that is just playing right into their hands.

Personally I'd trust the Chinese before the yanks, especially with the current regime at the helm.

I find our government updates on this stuff absolutely abhorrent. Hancock briefing the fucking Telegraph yesterday and putting the article behind a paywall has caused mass confusion, mainly because folk read that headline and panicked. Johnson should be on the fucking news every day giving us new updates and telling us the new advice. It's their ineptitude which has led to panic buying.

That said, I hope anyone panic buying has their house burned down while they sleep. Greedy, inconsiderate arseholes and society is well rid.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The UK death figures are probably accurate.

Aye, but most media outlets/attention seekers, dont remove them from the figures.

See this site, which is used by many to get the worldwide figures...

Screenshot_20200316-104505_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b8805b5e1ba70cbbdd7692d084703775.jpg

... people are running with the headline figure (OVER 170K INFECTED BY VIRUS JUST NOW), when the reality is theres half of that figure.

Edited by RandomGuy.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm just frustrated at the amount of folk who are effectively fear mongering at the moment by talking about the figures rising every day, tbh, apologies if that's not you.

It doesnt help anyone and causing more issues as seen by this moronic panic buying of toilet roll.

These figures - especially UK ones - are probably totally useless, anyway. But if the government didn't issue figures you'd get cries of "What are they trying to hide?".

By the way, no kitchen roll in Asda, Cookstown.

Guest Moomintroll
Talking about the war - how are the Russians getting on with this?
Vlad took his shirt off, punched it in the sticky out bits then told it to f**k offski will probably be the official line. The reality will be heavily suppressed.

You've got to love celebrities doing their bit to help spread the message..

Some Nigerian award show apparently, many were making a statement wearing blinged up facemasks, this one with the message

"let's join hands to fight covid19"

Yes, that should do it...

IMG_0991.thumb.PNG.2a269c6e0423a2baac772a1159ef1080.PNG

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

These figures - especially UK ones - are probably totally useless, anyway.

Aye, the USA are apparently refusing to test most people, to keep the figures there low.

Cant wait for the next election, where peoples deaths will be used to point score.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, the USA are apparently refusing to test most people, to keep the figures there low.

Cant wait for the next election, where peoples deaths will be used to point score.

Also because they refused to use the test kit WHO were offering because a US firm was making a crappy one that didn't work.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Trump (or his administration) already tried to get the research/vaccine for this "only for the US".

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

And still, millions of people are set to vote for this c**t.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

These figures - especially UK ones - are probably totally useless, anyway. But if the government didn't issue figures you'd get cries of "What are they trying to hide?".

By the way, no kitchen roll in Asda, Cookstown.

The absolute figures in terms of number of cases MUST be wrong as government advice for people with mild symptoms has been, for several days now, to stay at home, self isolate and don't call 111. So no-one will know how many of us have had it in a mild form.

We can get estimates of the number of "mild" cases by proper random sampling of small (but big enough) groups and then extrapolating, but there is no indication that this is happening. We will need to know this number in the longer term to determine if our "herd immunity" strategy has worked or not. If we don't know how many people have had it and are immune (hopefully) - we won't know what to do when the second, third, fourth wave comes  - which seems to be the main point of our "unique" strategy. In other words if you lock down too quick and most people don't get it, we'll have to keep locking down every few months until enough do or a vaccine comes along.

Folk dubbing random songs over the videos of Italians singing and making the singers think it's real is quite amusing. Particularly Cheryl Cole genuinely thinking a wee Italian village would be hanging out their windows singing 'fight for this love'.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I guess one spin-off benefit of this virus  is that there will be a good few hundred less people ending their sentences with ".....lah"

Get to f**k, lah.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
29 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
Talking about the war - how are the Russians getting on with this?

Vlad took his shirt off, punched it in the sticky out bits then told it to f**k offski will probably be the official line. The reality will be heavily suppressed.

I always find it amusing when people in this country automatically believe that the likes of the Russians & Chinese are evil regimes who suppress information from their citizens etc but the UK is somehow held up as a beacon of virtue.

Strangely, when I'm abroad I tend to find out much much more from the local news stations about the rest of Europe and even the UK than what I get from my own News.

We report loads of nonsense in this country about Z list celebrities and like to have little stories about complete trivialities which are better suited to the pages of a women's magazine as opposed to an actual news channel.

Dress it up however you like, but it's still a form of suppressing the News.

As a quick example, Pension ages in the UK against the rest of Europe and also levels of payment are extremely relevant but never actively discussed, as undoubtedly this would cause anger and outrage among many in our population.

Is this being suppressed ?

I'd say Yes. 

Basically the message here is that Britain is indeed "great" and our citizens have "never had it so good", however it's only when you travel and open up your eyes that you begin to see the truth for what it is.

Poland another prime example, the narrative that our Government and media love to hear repeated is the old moronic favourite of "why are they all over here then" ? This makes people believe that Poland is a very poor country and miles behind the UK in living standards and basic public services etc, however NOTHING could be further from the truth.

Just now, WATTOO said:

I always find it amusing when people in this country automatically believe that the likes of the Russians & Chinese are evil regimes who suppress information from their citizens etc but the UK is somehow held up as a beacon of virtue.

Strangely, when I'm abroad I tend to find out much much more from the local news stations about the rest of Europe and even the UK than what I get from my own News.

We report loads of nonsense in this country about Z list celebrities and like to have little stories about complete trivialities which are better suited to the pages of a women's magazine as opposed to an actual news channel.

Dress it up however you like, but it's still a form of suppressing the News.

As a quick example, Pension ages in the UK against the rest of Europe and also levels of payment are extremely relevant but never actively discussed, as undoubtedly this would cause anger and outrage among many in our population.

Is this being suppressed ?

I'd say Yes. 

Basically the message here is that Britain is indeed "great" and our citizens have "never had it so good", however it's only when you travel and open up your eyes that you begin to see the truth for what it is.

Poland another prime example, the narrative that our Government and media love to hear repeated is the old moronic favourite of "why are they all over here then" ? This makes people believe that Poland is a very poor country and miles behind the UK in living standards and basic public services etc, however NOTHING could be further from the truth.

Paid Russian/Chinese propagandist IMO.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Paid Russian/Chinese propagandist IMO.

Indeed, but it still beats a zero hours contract bursting your arse for tax dodging Amazon.