Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Mr Trump shuts down travel from Europe (UK not in Europe, apparently)

BBC News - Coronavirus: Trump suspends travel from Europe to US
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51846923
I watched that statement live. It's still staggering that the man is president.

He's spent the last few weeks saying 'don't panic', and 'this is all media scaremongering'.

Yesterday he had been given a clear statement and was reading it like a 6 year old. No fucking clue.

And he said trade contact from Europe would also be suspended and then a few hours later admitted it wasn't.

And didn't seem to mention that the uk were not being included - until later.

Incredible.

I watched that statement live. It's still staggering that the man is president.

He's spent the last few weeks saying 'don't panic', and 'this is all media scaremongering'.

Yesterday he had been given a clear statement and was reading it like a 6 year old. No fucking clue.

And he said trade contact from Europe would also be suspended and then a few hours later admitted it wasn't.

And didn't seem to mention that the uk were not being included - until later.

Incredible.

He also claimed private Health Care had agreed to his personal request to waive fees for treatment. They hadn’t.

If the Republicans had any balls there’d be serious talk of the 25th amendment. The Healthcare official on Today earlier on was just incredulous He was almost laughing at him.

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

If the UK gov had said “shut everything down for 2 weeks, no flights in or out, everyone must cease work and remain at home etc” donee think it would have made a difference or would it just be delaying the inevitable?

It would probably have slowed, but not stopped, the spread.

The spread will continue, containment will not work.

Just now, jamamafegan said:

In that case are not just better letting this spread and get it over and done with so we can all enjoy our summer holidays?

It's about slowing it down so less people die before it's run its course or effective antivirals are developed.

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

In that case are not just better letting this spread and get it over and done with so we can all enjoy our summer holidays?

No. A long drawn out virus is better (for the health professionals) than a short massive spurt.

They were just saying on the radio that loads of flights from Europe come to the UK for direct flights to the US. Are they banning Europeans or just flight originating from European hubs? As usual Trump just garbles any old shire.

And seemingly American passengers are allowed to travel freely... presumably the US government will be chartering flights for them? The guy is as dumb as rock.

Folk in the US and UK are going to be absolutely done over by this. 

Not because of how dangerous COVID19 is but by how their respective governments deal with this. 

I'm shitting it incase they shut shops etc, I work in retail and can't simply afford to not be working. 

Absolutely brutal. 

Not because of how dangerous COVID19 is but by how their respective governments deal with this. 

I'm shitting it incase they shut shops etc, I work in retail and can't simply afford to not be working. 

Absolutely brutal. 

Just one week in Austin this week cost the local economy $400,000,000. And it’s not big businesses that’ll suffer most, it’ll be service workers relying on tourist dollars.

4 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Absolutely brutal. 

@D.A.F.C get stuck in!

4 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Absolutely brutal. 

Payments of all types (mortgage, rent, loans, utilities, credit cards) will need to be suspended and help given to folk who need to buy food.

It’s the only practical solution.

I work in mortgage collections and recoveries because I am a b*****d.

But, as far as we've been telt, it's business as usual to a degree. We can offer up to three months non-payment or payment holiday if someone's finances are adversely affected by coronavirus but we can do the same for almost anything anyway. If someone can't work for two weeks because of a broken leg is no different to someone who can't work because of self isolation.

The only difference is we're actively logging occasions when coronavirus is the cause. Gonna guess this is so the bank can say to the government "this cost us x amount" once it blows over in an effort to recover the money