Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Michael Osterholm from the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) says washing your hands does absolutely f**k all to prevent Covid-19. 

Kind of reminds me of when we were on the brink of nuclear war the Government advice was to make a wee camp under the stairs even though your house would have been instantly vaporised.

Unless I've missed something this isn't strictly true. 

The fact we're essentially all going to get it now no matter what isn't a reason not to scrub your hands. 

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Doubt most schools will require you to 'teach' from home.

Not 'teach' as in 'stand in front of 30 teenagers', but we're expected to provide online work, communicate with pupils, give feedback and next steps etc..

If you want to use the literal definition  of teach then of course no, but we're still expected to be working, particularly for classes who have exams in six weeks.

Got this in an email from the legal team at work-

The World Health Organisation has declared Coronavirus a public health emergency of international concern. Currently the risk to the public in the UK remains at a 'moderate' level. Despite this, the government has announced that in accordance with regulation 3 of the Health Protection (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020, the threat from the transmission of coronavirus constitutes a 'serious and imminent threat to public health' so measures have been implemented to forcibly quarantine anyone with coronavirus, preventing them from leaving a facility and also giving them the power to forcibly send someone to isolation if they pose a threat to public health. This development comes after it was reported that a British patient at an isolation facility was threatening to leave.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Not 'teach' as in 'stand in front of 30 teenagers', but we're expected to provide online work, communicate with pupils, give feedback and next steps etc..

If you want to use the literal definition  of teach then of course no, but we're still expected to be working, particularly for classes who have exams in six weeks.

I've heard no such thing and I'm also a teacher.

ETA:

If we are to go into 'lockdown' as it were - It's unlikely the exams will be on in six weeks.

Edited by Ludo*1

17 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Seeing the schools may be closed from tomorrow. As a teacher, I’m in two minds about this:

Not having to go into work is always quite nice.

Preparing lessons from home and posting them online will be a nuisance. Never-mind actually being able to track who has been doing what or providing any sort of effective feedback. Childcare will of course be a massive issue too. Not a chance that some of the parents that I teach will be able/willing to take time off.

We shall see what happens.

I work in After school care, hopefully the announcement is before 3 o’clock. I also get paid tomorrow. Unexpected afternoon in the pub could be on the cards.

Guest SJP79
1 minute ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I work in After school care, hopefully the announcement is before 3 o’clock. I also get paid tomorrow. Unexpected afternoon in the pub could be on the cards.

Id avoid the pub 

15 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Just after Cheltenham though.

The likes of holding Cheltenham wasn't an issue 48 hours ago and there was a capacity crowd at Anfield tonight so what's changed since then ?

If they now cancel it and have football shelved then they're just confirming that they're clueless incompetent fools.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've heard no such thing and I'm also a teacher.

ETA:

If we are to go into 'lockdown' as it were - It's unlikely the exams will be on in six weeks.

Genuinely astonished at that. We've been dumping stuff onto Glow and Teams for the past few days.

Re: your second point - possibly, but also possible the exams will go ahead but with adjusted grade boundaries.

Guest SJP79
1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

The likes of holding Cheltenham wasn't an issue 48 hours ago and there was a capacity crowd at Anfield tonight so what's changed since then ?

If they now cancel it and have football shelved then they're just confirming that they're clueless incompetent fools.

It should have been an issue 48 hours ago and Anfield shouldnt have gone ahead with fans.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Genuinely astonished at that. We've been dumping stuff onto Glow and Teams for the past few days.

Re: your second point - possibly, but also possible the exams will go ahead but with adjusted grade boundaries.

I was informed that prelims being used were another possibility, but that brings about all sorts of problems in itself.

Genuinely - our work has put up posters informing people to wash their hands and we've been given a council letter to hand to all pupils, but other than that, nothing.

Edited by Ludo*1

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Quite literally the exact same steps that I’ve taken. I’m in primary teaching and I.C.T. this week was a refresher course on accessing Glow and Teams.

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Remember that the authorities view football fans as mindless, uncultured thugs, and fans of other sports are much more civilised and trustworthy.

43 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

It should have been an issue 48 hours ago and Anfield shouldnt have gone ahead with fans.

Yes. I don't really see the benefit in delaying these measures which are pretty much guaranteed to be in place in the next few days/ weeks. 

Why wait until we have it on the scale of Italy, when preventative action could be taking place now?

A few interesting cases in Singapore. Two returning Work pass holders (husband and wife) returning from their home in the Philippines after attending one of their sick mothers (who subsequently died of pneumonia, but was diagnosed with COVID-19), both test positive on return. A similar case with someone arriving from Indonesia.

Quelle surprise that the virus may be more widespread in both countries than their testing ability shows.

Quite sure a lot more isolation and extreme measures going to be in place soon.

The economic fall out and pressure on healthcare systems could be very serious indeed.

Stiff upper lip and all that!