Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The real clowns are people who are so financially irresponsible that they dont even have a weeks wages in reserve.
As said it seems the norm now and I've touched a nerve. Let's all blame the Tories or lash out at someone because they cant look at themselves and admit they've fucked up.

Your conversations with DA Baracus would be interesting.

Apparently there's too be a new edict this evening forcing all businesses (with the exception of those selling essentials, i.e. supermarkets) to close for three weeks. People haven't been taking the current regulations seriously enough it seems.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Apparently there's too be a new edict this evening forcing all businesses (with the exception of those selling essentials, i.e. supermarkets) to close for three weeks. People haven't been taking the current regulations seriously enough it seems.

Will you get paid to stay at home?

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Who defines what 'essentials' are in this situation?

Edited by Gaz

Update - we were actually able to cancel our two-night stay at our original LA hotel with no cost, so just booked an overnight stay at an LAX airport hotel with the Southwest flight the following morning. There’s a free hotel shuttle to and from the airport. This gives us more time in Vegas. We actually did look at car hire and could have got a one-way hire with Hertz, in a mid-sized SUV for £28... no doubt then there’s the add-ons you need. Anyway, as we were in LA relatively recently, not bothered about missing a wee bit of sight seeing there, rather have the extra day in Vegas. Haven’t been there for six years now. A bit of re-arranging, and a couple of hours on the internet, and everything sorted out. I actually stopped to think just how easy it actually was to sort the elements out - using an iPad and the worldwide interweb thingy.... you take it for granted.

I love LA myself, so would always try and stay but its different strokes for different folks. Vegas is an awesome place to spend time, ive got a young kid so can’t really go there for a long time yet. The hertz one way hire wouldnt have any other add ons, they don’t charge any other fees than if you need a sat nav etc. Southwest as i said are great to fly with, especially as they are budget but allow two free bags each, unheard of here. Where in Vegas you staying? Id imagine it might be quiet with the virus! Im due to go to Orlando in May so really hoping we still get to go.

We are being split into two teams doing office/working from home alternate weeks. They don’t have laptops as they are trying to get people to use their own equipment (you can claim a relatively small amount towards the cost of a laptop). This begins on Monday - this is going to be hilarious.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

They could invest in themselves and get more qualifications and a better job?
I agree with what you're saying but if you look at the average person in lots of debt who works then I would bet that they have lots of things they dont need or really can afford.
Average debt in 1990 was about 2k. Now its 15k despite no real wage increases.
People end up trapped in debt and it's not a good thing. Employers can treat people like shit because they know they're desperate. It's a society based on people buying shit they dont need.
As I said it's almost considered good or normal now to exist like this until the interest rates go up and everyone is fucked.
80% of GDP is debt. The country is ruined economically.

So everyone should be a Manager then ?? But then again back in the real world we've actually got lots of University educated and over qualified people working in call centres and service centres for under £20k p/a.

The other point you're missing is that the main reason people are in debt is due to poor wages being paid to the masses while those at the top take more and more and more. Add to this the huge increases in public transport costs and parking charges and it's not difficult to see why so many are struggling.

This hasn't just happened overnight of course as the wealth gap has been increasing for the past 30 years and is accelerating despite all the false rhetoric.

In some respects I do blame the people themselves for not sticking together and FORCING their employers to pay decent wages, I also blame the Unions who do not do enough to coordinate their action, although ultimately any Union is only as strong as it's members. You often find people are shocked by the high salary of train drivers but then again that just shows what a strong Union CAN do for you.

Yes, like in every society there are wasters and those who work the system, however the real crooks in this country are the likes of your Philip Green's and Jamie Oliver's who screw over their workforce, their suppliers, their pension funds and walk away clean as a whistle to rinse and repeat, meanwhile the big focus of "outrage" is on wee Angie who's vilified by the tabloid media for claiming buroo money while working her part time cleaning job.

Yes, there's definitely something fundamentally wrong with our society.

Went full over the top and tried to treat myself and the boy to a Slurpy from 7/11.  That's what you do when your down to last few coppers.

Cocoa cola flavour had run out and I don't like the strawberry, cold sweat hit me and was thinking the end is near, b*****ds, they have emptied the machine,  however, as us poor people do, we spend what we've not got, I crossed the street and bought a softy ice cream instead.  f**k you D.A.F.C, it my life I'll enjoy it while I'm here. 

Went full over the top and tried to treat myself and the boy to a Slurpy from 7/11.  That's what you do when your down to last few coppers.
 Cocoa cola flavour had run out and I don't like the strawberry, cold sweat hit me and was thinking the end is near, b*****ds, they have emptied the machine,  however, as us poor people do, we spend what we've not got, I crossed the street and bought a softy ice cream instead.  f**k you D.A.F.C, it my life I'll enjoy it while I'm here. 

28 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Where's this come from? Wee Mary the secretary or anything substantial? 

Edited by Big Fifer

16 hours ago, mathematics said:

I gave blood today. Was giving the nurse my amazing patter and asking about the effects the virus has had on her workload. She says there’s been no difference, yet, but two fucking space cadets had been in earlier to give blood, having just come back from Rome. They were hunted sharpish.

Multi quoted this reading through the pages and was going to say that that’s the most mental thing I’ve seen posted on this thread, then I read through DAFC’s rabble. 

Where's this come? Wee Mary the secretary or anything substantial? 

There will be an announcement about a new regulation this evening, its contents is just a strong rumour about town as of now.
Who defines what 'essentials' are in this situation?

The Veneto government I guess. We already have police wandering around enforcing the current decree.
Will you get paid to stay at home?

I'm salaried so I think legally I should be alright but I'd be surprised if my work has that much cash left. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked us to be somewhat flexible (deferred payment or counting it as holiday) if the situation drags on deep into April.

I'd like to think that three weeks of very strict regulations plus spring temperatures would be enough to put an end to the virus here though and things would get back to normal.