Coronavirus (COVID-19)

What's driving my opinion on this really, thinking about it, is my major concern about my parents. If any of them got this virus it's pretty much over due to lung disease and weakened immune system.
I'd rather take a financial hit and take time off work and maybe help reduce the spread.
It seems like the tory uk way of thinking is to delay simply because of the economy rather than helping people.
I read up on italy and found out that they're not treating anyone with major health conditions, gave me a bit of a shock so forgive if I've been a bit ranty or opinionated.
Just a bit annoyed at the entitled views of people who live like that when they dont need to maybe? Perhaps this crisis will make people a bit more aware and less selfish?

People who live within their means should set aside some money for private health care, for them and their loved ones, imo.
Aye so all the heavy drinkers and smokers and people who've never worked can get the treatment they deserve for free.

Looking at some of the figures for testing is interesting, and scary. The latest official figures on this are from 2nd March (that I can find anyway). At that point South Korea had tested 2,138 per million people. Italy 386 per million. UK 199 per million. USA 1 per million. To have a fair comparison of how widespread it is in each country you need similar testing availability.

I think this is being overlooked when looking at how badly countries are affected just judging by their confirmed cases. You can only have confirmed cases if you're actually testing the people and some countries haven't been willing/able to do it as much as others. It is pretty clear that the reason South Korea have such high numbers of cases is because they are testing a high proportion of their population and therefore it's given a false impression of how bad it is there compared to other countries. Italy's rate of testing at that point was effectively double the UK's so it's no wonder they are so far ahead with confirmed cases. We are a bit behind them but probably not as much as people think. If we'd had the same testing rate we would be a lot closer in numbers.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

It's not all bad news.

Sunday. Spanish fascist splutters and mingles with his fans.

Monday. Finds out he's got the coronavirus.

https://www.thelocal.es/20200310/mp-from-spains-far-right-vox-party-tests-positive-to-coronavirus

Edited by welshbairn

22 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Buy a house or car they cant afford, quite a few I would imagine.
I certainly know a few people who claim to be skint but drive a newer car than me or go on several holidays a year.
These people dont plan for anything and if asked to take a week unpaid would ruin them.
Imo they're the idiots.
For what it's worth I actually helped out at a food bank last year.

A rough percentage will do, I have no idea what "quite a few" actually means in relation to a country of 5 million people.

People who have things they genuinely can't afford don't have them for long, loan companies are quick to take that shit back. If people are telling you they are skint and going on "several" holidays a year, they aren't actually skint, they're spending the money they've earned. 

You mention "the tory way of thinking" in your other post, which is funny considering you hold the extremely Tory view that it's the employees fault if he runs out of money whilst not being paid amidst a global health crisis that locks down a country, rather than the fault of the government who have been driving down wages and stunting economic growth for the last 10 years.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Italy's rate of testing at that point was effectively double the UK's so it's no wonder they are so far ahead with confirmed cases. We are a bit behind them but probably not as much as people think.

Italy increased testing when it became obvious they had lots of cases. All over Europe people who've been in northern Italy are testing positive. We might catch up quite quickly but I think we're a fair bit behind at the moment.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

This is a talking point developed by US health lobbyists to persuade people universal healthcare is a terrible idea, which never seems to square the circle of a large amount of problem drinking residing in the middle classes.

Indeed, similar to this country where a "druggy" or "Junkie" is the narrative used to describe those who are homeless or young neds but the reality is that the middle and upper classes are full of people with £10k+ p/a coke habits, but of course it has almost become socially acceptable as it's rife among our professional occupations.

47 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Not really they're all stressed out their brains for the sake of keeping up a persona or lifestyle they cant afford.
It's pretty much what caused the banking crisis.
I experienced nearly going bankrupt so changed after that. Try to live within my means. Dont see why that's such a terrible thing? Trying to defend spending money you dont have seems like a bitter position to me.

If you could point out where I've done that then go ahead.

Folk can spend their money as they see fit, we all make our own decisions. You're not a better person than someone because you choose not to spend money on taking your kids on holiday or going out for dinner with your partner.

This is a talking point developed by US health lobbyists to persuade people universal healthcare is a terrible idea, which never seems to square the circle of a large amount of problem drinking residing in the middle classes.
Nothing is perfect we're lucky to have the nhs tbh. I wouldn't pay much attention to what I'm saying atm my heads all over the place with this.
I'm annoyed that the nhs has been underfunded for decades, dont know the answer and if anyone is at fault tbh.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Nothing is perfect we're lucky to have the nhs tbh. I wouldn't pay much attention to what I'm saying atm my heads all over the place with this.
I'm annoyed that the nhs has been underfunded for decades, dont know the answer and if anyone is at fault tbh.

The English.

The credit junkies are the bank bone of the UK. Personal debt is just about our only genuine growth industry. 
If everyone in the country started living the Micawber happiness formula unemployment would go through the roof!
Pretty sad when that's all the uk has left.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Are the middle classes really full of people spending £10,000 a year on cocaine?

£10k a year seems a tad high but I can think of a handful of well educated, well earning people I know who think nothing of going through a couple of grams every weekend. What does it cost in the UK now? Last time I was home you were looking at about 40 quid a gram which would mean just over £4k a year.

Edited by Ross.

If you could point out where I've done that then go ahead.
Folk can spend their money as they see fit, we all make our own decisions. You're not a better person than someone because you choose not to spend money on taking your kids on holiday or going out for dinner with your partner.
I didn't say anyone was better just that if you chose to spend money you don't have then theres no real grounds for complaint when hard times come.
I did it, not trying to preach.