Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Mrs GTSO was out for a meal last week with friends. They got speaking to the restaurant owner who told them that a couple of people who had travelled back from the far east and were self isolating had been in to eat the day before. Apparently, after 2 days “isolation” they were so bored, they decided to eat out.

People are stupid and selfish. No way will we manage this successfully.

Of course there's loads of really unfortunate people who rely on food banks but theres also people who buy loads of stuff they dont need, drink and smoke and have all sorts of fancy stuff who live on tick.
That's the people I meant. No offence to people who struggle despite saving and just getting enough to eat. I dont literally mean eating hand to mouth, it's an expression.

1 minute ago, TheGoon said:

If the UK’s chief medical officer is of the opinion that banning large gatherings “doesn't actually do much” then what is the advice being fed to France, Italy, Germany etc? 

EU advice, mate. They didn't take back control.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Of course there's loads of really unfortunate people who rely on food banks but theres also people who buy loads of stuff they dont need, drink and smoke and have all sorts of fancy stuff who live on tick.
That's the people I meant. No offence to people who struggle despite saving and just getting enough to eat. I dont literally mean eating hand to mouth, it's an expression.

Another thing: If we don't see Our Brave Boys knocking on pensioners' doors with much needed bread & milk, they can do one if they think I'm buying a poppy this year. Bleedin' liberty.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Nothing like a wee gamble. Might be worth checking the new cancellation and postponement deals the airlines are offering before you book:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/lufthansa-qatar-airways-coronavirus-flight-delay-change-refund-compensation-a9382956.html

We already have our flight booked to Los Angeles to pick up the cruise, and our flight home from Vancouver following it. Also a couple of nights in LA and Vancouver hotels. We haven’t changed them, just cancelled the cruise. So, we looked for something land-based to fill in the gap between LA and Vancouver to simply replace the cruise. Got Southwest flights to Vegas from LAX for $45 each, and Westjet flights from Vegas to Vancouver. A doddle to book a Vegas hotel, so fingers crossed nothing else of a major disaster nature happens between now and May - leprosy, a plague of locusts, St Mirren renewing Tony Andreu’s contract.

Edited by pozbaird

14 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

If the UK’s chief medical officer is of the opinion that banning large gatherings “doesn't actually do much” then what is the advice being fed to France, Italy, Germany etc? 

The UK point of view on this seems to be that if they play behind closed doors, people will just go to the pub instead, making it more likely the virus will be transmitted?

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

We already had our flight booked to Los Angeles to pick up the cruise, and our flight home from Vancouver following it. We haven’t changed them, just cancelled the cruise. So, we looked for something land-based to fill in the gap between LA and Vancouver. Got Southwest flights to Vegas from LAX for $45 each, and Westjet flights from Vegas to Vancouver. A doddle to book a Vegas hotel, so fingers crossed nothing else of a major disaster type nature happens between now and May - leprosy, a plague of locusts, St Mirren renewing Tony Andreu’s contract.

Sounds good, you'll probably be fine. My worry would be that the US healthcare system seems the least able in the developed world to cope with a pandemic, people worried about the cost of treatment, not having the right papers, little central structure or coordination, different rules and policies state to state, and an arsehole in charge who only cares about his poll ratings. But if it does go tits up you should be able to cancel or postpone your flights at least the way things are going.

40 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
1 hour ago, Gaz said:
To play Devil's Advocate, not every company has the financial reserves to pay employees for not coming to work.

Maybe people shouldn't live a selfish hand to mouth existence then?

I buy what I need week to week. My child tax credits cover my weekly food bill and fuel. Not sure why this makes me selfish! 

What percentage of the population do you believe acts in this way?
Buy a house or car they cant afford, quite a few I would imagine.
I certainly know a few people who claim to be skint but drive a newer car than me or go on several holidays a year.
These people dont plan for anything and if asked to take a week unpaid would ruin them.
Imo they're the idiots.
For what it's worth I actually helped out at a food bank last year.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Buy a house or car they cant afford, quite a few I would imagine.
I certainly know a few people who claim to be skint but drive a newer car than me or go on several holidays a year.
These people dont plan for anything and if asked to take a week unpaid would ruin them.
Imo they're the idiots.

Yeah but they are probably less miserable and bitter tbh so who's the real winner

Yeah but they are probably less miserable and bitter tbh so who's the real winner
Not really they're all stressed out their brains for the sake of keeping up a persona or lifestyle they cant afford.
It's pretty much what caused the banking crisis.
I experienced nearly going bankrupt so changed after that. Try to live within my means. Dont see why that's such a terrible thing? Trying to defend spending money you dont have seems like a bitter position to me.