Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I know a guy who was in China in early November and was struck down when he came back with symptoms very similar to those associated with COVID19. There were also a number of people who seemed to have the same lurgy around Christmas - head cold, runny nose, cough, shortness of breath. I don't think there's any doubt that it has been circulating far longer than the end of January.

There's about 5 folk that I can think of that had similar symptoms and only 1 went to the doctors. Granted that it is completely unreliable extrapolation but I think it is fair to say there is likely significantly more cases than what has been reported across the globe - Germany for example, "coronavirus arrived here last Wednesday"...what did they see it off the fucking plane? Therefore, this purported mortality rate of 2-3% is probably, in reality, somewhere closer to the normal flu when you consider there's likely many unreported cases.

I appreciate that the apparent infectiousness of it is concerning but the kind of media coverage afforded to it is creating mass hysteria on a fucking ridiculous scale - I couldn't buy bog roll yesterday...and shiting yourself isn't even a symptom.

I'm getting married in Portugal in a month's time and we've already had 2 folk withdraw over coronavirus concerns with more expected. Hope they're the ones stocking up on toilet roll for their wee shitey bums.

25 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Are all these places that are cancelling sporting fixtures ot playing them behind closed doors also shutting cinemas, theatres, shopping centres, pubs and the like?

Does this mean all the plastics will be hitting the local spoons?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51806551?fbclid=IwAR0ziCuWfAdxyyxYdtiaSZYXNTUifqxIuLPJs1z4QjGIFAg33emZLHbZ7-8

19 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I know a guy who was in China in early November and was struck down when he came back with symptoms very similar to those associated with COVID19. There were also a number of people who seemed to have the same lurgy around Christmas - head cold, runny nose, cough, shortness of breath. I don't think there's any doubt that it has been circulating far longer than the end of January.

There's about 5 folk that I can think of that had similar symptoms and only 1 went to the doctors. Granted that it is completely unreliable extrapolation but I think it is fair to say there is likely significantly more cases than what has been reported across the globe - Germany for example, "coronavirus arrived here last Wednesday"...what did they see it off the fucking plane? Therefore, this purported mortality rate of 2-3% is probably, in reality, somewhere closer to the normal flu when you consider there's likely many unreported cases.

I appreciate that the apparent infectiousness of it is concerning but the kind of media coverage afforded to it is creating mass hysteria on a fucking ridiculous scale - I couldn't buy bog roll yesterday...and shiting yourself isn't even a symptom.

I'm getting married in Portugal in a month's time and we've already had 2 folk withdraw over coronavirus concerns with more expected. Hope they're the ones stocking up on toilet roll for their wee shitey bums.

There is no doubt that is the case. The death rate figure we see is obviously just the death rate of the people who have been tested. The positive is that the true death rate is lower than the one we are given, the negative is that for that to be true it means that there are obviously loads of people with coronavirus who don't know they've got it.

Your symptoms just sound typical of any winter 'flu' so I don't necessarily think that was coronavirus, however I totally agree there were obviously cases well before it officially arrived.

From what I've read the major concern is indoor events so concerts at the Hydro etc could be impacted if they take it the full way (or artists may cancel).

I'd assume cinemas must be a concern as well, mind you i'd imagine at the best of times there's a few million bacteria in most of them!

…..where  do you stop though? 

Are all these places that are cancelling sporting fixtures ot playing them behind closed doors also shutting cinemas, theatres, shopping centres, pubs and the like?
Well here all sport is either cancelled or being played closed doors. Schools have already been shut for two weeks as have cinemas and gyms. Businesses, including bars and restaurants, have to close at 6pm and meetings are prohibited. You have to stay 1m apart from people when you're in the cafe or supermarket. Unless for emergencies you aren't allowed to cross provincial boundaries. The decree is in effect until April 3rd at the earliest.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
50 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Well here all sport is either cancelled or being played closed doors. Schools have already been shut for two weeks as have cinemas and gyms. Businesses, including bars and restaurants, have to close at 6pm and meetings are prohibited. You have to stay 1m apart from people when you're in the cafe or supermarket. Unless for emergencies you aren't allowed to cross provincial boundaries. The decree is in effect until April 3rd at the earliest.

Flights from the UK to Malpensa, Bergamo and Marco Polo still on sale which seems rather strange ??

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd have thought you'd be more likely to catch it in a busy pub than a stadium. Even if there's 50,000 there you'll only be in contact with a few for more than seconds.

You don't get 50,000 people rushing for a pish at half time in the pub. Pub toilets also have wee men selling you perfume for £1 a go. 

Flights from the UK to Malpensa, Bergamo and Marco Polo still on sale which seems rather strange ??
I think they want to allow folk to return to Italy if they live there. I'm not sure they can really keep their citizens out of their own country. They've been stopping people at the borders and asking them their reason for travel and you can apply for special dispensation if it's deemed necessary.

33 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

From what I've read the major concern is indoor events so concerts at the Hydro etc could be impacted if they take it the full way (or artists may cancel).

I'd assume cinemas must be a concern as well, mind you i'd imagine at the best of times there's a few million bacteria in most of them!

…..where  do you stop though? 

Me going to the cinema -

Image result for simpsons flamethrower

Edited by Theroadlesstravelled

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
18 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I think they want to allow folk to return to Italy if they live there. I'm not sure they can really keep their citizens out of their own country. They've been stopping people at the borders and asking them their reason for travel and you can apply for special dispensation if it's deemed necessary.

Aah right, that sounds fair enough then. I know someone who's booked for Venice next week and then they were supposed to be going down to Florence for a few days so hopefully the insurance will cover them.

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

There is no way their Contain phase will work. People will not stay at home. People will not self-isolate.

Government going with this on the advice of experts who have said exactly this. 

Social isolation is coming, but there's a reluctance to go with it now because people will get bored and start ignoring it. Seems fair - 14 days is a stretch, but going on for a month would kd really cause you to lose your mind. 

We also aren't China, who have their own big brother methods of enforcing these type of things. 

38 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Government going with this on the advice of experts who have said exactly this. 

Social isolation is coming, but there's a reluctance to go with it now because people will get bored and start ignoring it. Seems fair - 14 days is a stretch, but going on for a month would kd really cause you to lose your mind. 

We also aren't China, who have their own big brother methods of enforcing these type of things. 

It's not just that.

I'd have no problem self-isolating - I have a secure, permanent job where I get six months' full pay and six months' half pay should I be ill.

Someone who works in a shop, living week-to-week for shifts to pay their rent doesn't have that luxury.

On 24/02/2020 at 11:58, virginton said:

Complete and utter nonsense, which is why even clown-car states like Italy are now trying to throw precious ‘individual freedom’ overboard at the earliest stage possible to contain their own epidemic.

On 24/02/2020 at 12:03, JTS98 said:

No, you've missed the point. It's got nothing to do with the individual liberty of people being quarantined, cities locked down etc.

It's that the Chinese system of government stopped action being taken to contain this virus even once it had become apparent to local officials that there was a serious problem.

It would literally have been a criminal offence for local officials to take the steps necessary and fear of censure and lack of protection under law encouraged people to simply not pass on or act on bad news.

What is being dealt with now is ultimately the result of China making a complete arse of the first couple of weeks. And they made an arse of it because of how their country is organised politically.

On 24/02/2020 at 12:18, virginton said:

The only thing that a state can do is to prevent a regional epidemic turning into a genuinely national problem. And thanks to the no fucks given quarantine measures in place, most parts of China are not in fact seeing lots of new cases several weeks into the outbreak.

Two weeks later; the terribly led government of China is recording just 40 new cases per day with 1/6th of the world's entire population.

THE CHINESE. A GREAT BUNCH OF LADS.

Meanwhile first world Europe is now spewing up hundreds of new cases daily with its states making up inconsistent and complete nonsense restrictions as they go along, despite having two months' advance notice to prepare.

Too much letting people swan in and out of north Italy from all over the continent and not enough truncheons to the face = a failed containment strategy.

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Someone who works in a shop, living week-to-week for shifts to pay their rent doesn't have that luxury.

They sound like someone who is poor.

I've seen in recent years Britain doesn't give a flying f**k about poor people as long as they're ok. 

Killing more and more poor people has been a growth industry here.