Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

FTSE100 down 6% so far today.

Brent crude prices down 20%.

In fairness, the markets have been long overdue a correction and the Oil price drop is a result of Russia refusing to cut production and Saudi Arabia slashing their oil price in an attempt to screw Russia.

Having said that I'd be keeping away from stockmarket "bargains" for a few weeks yet as I'd expect the markets situation to get much worse before it gets any better.

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The WHO were first notified of the Chinese outbreak at the end of December and there's evidence to suggest that it was actually November when the outbreak first started, as such, people were moving around freely for weeks / months before anyone was really interested.

Strangely enough, we had quite a few off with serious flu cases just prior to Christmas and also into the first weeks of January, one of our staff was actually hospitalised as it developed into acute pneumonia which really makes you wonder if this has been here for the past few months ??

Aye I know someone who was hospitalised with pneumonia after having flu-like symptoms before Christmas. Could be a coincidence, but also the world wasn't exactly looking for this virus so wouldn't have been picked up?

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

Aye I know someone who was hospitalised with pneumonia after having flu-like symptoms before Christmas. Could be a coincidence, but also the world wasn't exactly looking for this virus so wouldn't have been picked up?

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I'd have thought someone who was actually hospitalised would be tested to determine treatment, even if the answer was "unknown virus". Maybe not.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'd have thought someone who was actually hospitalised would be tested to determine treatment, even if the answer was "unknown virus". Maybe not.

Would they not have set up to treat what's now known as the symptoms rather than a root cause? Pure guesswork on my part, I'm not a doctor. 

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Would they not have set up to treat what's now known as the symptoms rather than a root cause? Pure guesswork on my part, I'm not a doctor. 

If they've had bloodwork done at all during being in hospital, it would have been picked up.

Just now, well fan for life said:

Me neither but think antiviral drugs are specific to the bug so testing would be needed. Guesswork here too.

3 minutes ago, resk said:

Some dude at my work has it. Farewell fake internet friends, it's been a blast.

RIP resk.

NHS are expecting a significant rise in numbers in next few days, particularly in Glasgow and Edinburgh. If only I had been born a teuchter...

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There is no way their Contain phase will work. People will not stay at home. People will not self-isolate.

It might come to this then...

'Getting into one’s apartment compound or workplace requires scanning a QR code, writing down one’s name and ID number, temperature and recent travel history. Telecom operators track people’s movements while social media platforms like WeChat and Weibo have hotlines for people to report others who may be sick. Some cities are offering people rewards for informing on sick neighbours.

Chinese companies are meanwhile rolling out facial recognition technology that can detect elevated temperatures in a crowd or flag citizens not wearing a face mask. A range of apps use the personal health information of citizens to alert others of their proximity to infected patients or whether they have been in close contact.

State authorities, in addition to locking down entire cities, have implemented a myriad of security measures in the name of containing the coronavirus outbreak. From top officials to local community workers, those enforcing the rules repeat the same refrain: this is an “extraordinary time” feichang shiqi, requiring extraordinary measures.'

23 minutes ago, OSP said:

RIP resk.

NHS are expecting a significant rise in numbers in next few days, particularly in Glasgow and Edinburgh. If only I had been born a teuchter...

We're all born teuchters, m8.

Some just decide to embrace it.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

FTSE100 down 6% so far today.

Brent crude prices down 20%.

As ever, Aberdeen's local paper captures the mood of a city that is just getting over the last oil price crash and resultant damage to the local economy and job numbers with their 'joy for motorists' headline.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/business/experts-predict-joy-for-motorists-as-oil-prices-collapse/

#Fifa and AFC have agreed to postpone the Asian World Cup qualifying matches in March and June #BangkokPost #COVID19 #Fifa #coronavirus #Thailand

Good chance football will be decimated around the globe.