Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

I think its becoming clearer by the minute that the UK gvt is utterly out of its depth and floundering about cluelessly with regard to this,i can understand why people are looking to themselves even though this will create even more problems

How is buying 200 toilet rolls helping anyone, even the roasters buying it?

I was in an Asda in Edinburgh yesterday and there wasn't  a lot of evidence of panic buying. Pasta, rice, flour and some tinned goods severely depleted but still some available. Everything else pretty much as normal at least in terms of food.

Looking at the number of cases in Europe linked to travel to Italy, you have to say the Italian numbers look as wrong as the initial Chinese ones from Wuhan did.

Apparently the Australian panic-buying of toilet roll is because in Asia  people can fashion crude face masks out of the stuff if they run out of face masks. So now we have idiots buying loads of toilet roll for no reason. Our species has definitely had better ideas. 

Apparently the Australian panic-buying of toilet roll is because in Asia  people can fashion crude face masks out of the stuff if they run out of face masks. So now we have idiots buying loads of toilet roll for no reason. Our species has definitely had better ideas. 

According to who?

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

How is buying 200 toilet rolls helping anyone, even the roasters buying it?

I think theyre attempting to put themselves in a situation where,if necessary,they wont have to go to somewhere where they'll be in close proximity to other people eg supermarkets

Well it doesn't have someone in a face mask standing in front of the fruit and veg, so for the BBC at least, it's a move in the right direction.

ETA:

from the side panel - 'UK soap star self isolating'

Producers of the programme - the world's longest running soap - said the cast member, who has not been named, made the decision to self-isolate themselves.

"They haven't been in to work and they are showing no symptoms," as spokeswoman said.

Presumably an older actor?

Edited by trainspotter
Corrie thread for this pish

I think theyre attempting to put themselves in a situation where,if necessary,they wont have to go to somewhere where they'll be in close proximity to other people eg supermarkets
You have to stay one metre away from people at the supermarkets here. As you can imagine it's a massively impractical law.

5 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Iran jumps 35% in one day. Up by  1234. Though they may not have the kind of robust checks that you get in places like South Korea or Europe so they may have undetected cases. 

It'll be fun when they get to 121234 cases.

I am not convinced this is going to help. 

callmecynical.thumb.jpg.13c9175cfdb7bb5fb332e8ec3f4fa283.jpg

It’s not going to be the virus that gets us. It will be the breakdown in civil order when the shelf’s are empty and utilities stop working as staff stay away from work.
I don’t have much faith in the UK government as the Tories main priority is always the Tories and not us plebs.
Ironically it could end up being this that stops 10 in a row and not Steve G!

Sister is flying to Thailand next Friday for her 50th and have some social time with her wee brother and family.  Finnair have just called her and told her she can postpone her flight to another time of the year....I told her Thailand is quarantining 6 countries people are arriving from at the moment for 14 days no matter if you have any symptoms or not.  UK and Finland not on the list ................yet!!

And, just like that when I checked what countries they were, the government has done a u-turn on the idea, as it will break our economy.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1873174/no-compulsory-quarantine-of-visitors-to-thailand

Also, number 48 for us.  Some British tourist....you are all c***s

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1873169/british-visitor-is-latest-covid-19-case

Edited by SlipperyP