Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

What’s the funny part about this?

Racist Tory refuses to allow foreign doctors to test him for the virus at the start which would have allowed him to leave the boat, spends his time creating videos demanding the government or Richard Branson save him. Then most likely due to such racism/stubbornness in refusing to be tested and staying in the danger zone voluntarily... gets the virus.

Yeah, can’t see anything funny.

Racist Tory refuses to allow foreign doctors to test him for the virus at the start which would have allowed him to leave the boat, spends his time creating videos demanding the government or Richard Branson save him. Then most likely due to such racism/stubbornness in refusing to be tested and staying in the danger zone voluntarily... gets the virus.

Yeah, can’t see anything funny.

I didn’t know anything about the back story hence why I asked so thanks for clearing it up.

9 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

... and undoubtedly the medal positions are decided. 

I'm not so sure. A sudden jump in Korea yesterday, and signs it may be spreading untracked in Japan. It would be ironic if China clears this up, as it appears to be doing ( through only-in-China levels of control) and then a mass outbreak occurs elsewhere.

In China itself there were only 50 odd cases outside Hubei yesterday, down from a peak daily figure of 890 two weeks ago. Even in Hubei, they are getting close to the point where more people are being released from hospital than are arriving.

I'm not so sure. A sudden jump in Korea yesterday, and signs it may be spreading untracked in Japan. It would be ironic if China clears this up, as it appears to be doing ( through only-in-China levels of control) and then a mass outbreak occurs elsewhere.

In China itself there were only 50 odd cases outside Hubei yesterday, down from a peak daily figure of 890 two weeks ago. Even in Hubei, they are getting close to the point where more people are being released from hospital than are arriving.

I did actually notice that later today. In China the government have been very cautious about allowing companies to reopen, our main place in China only got approval two days ago. Many companies are working on reduced workforce due to quarantine and travel restrictions (we are at 50%). As these are lifted who knows which way it will go.

One of our staff here in Singapore has went to 5 days compulsory quarantine from work today. Just a precaution but if it turns out to be a case we will all need to be tested and go into home quarantine.

So yes, there is a fair bit to go.

I think though it is drawing to a close. I would still reckon China to hit 100k and deaths to be between 2500/3000. Maybe as high as 5k. Singapore will top 100. Japan and Korea will be high double figures. Outside China I would reckon less than 10 more deaths.

Japan, Korea and  especially Singapore are worth the watching in the coming weeks, they are likely to be more transparent about the real figures. 

Despite Phuket being a popular stop on the cruise ship circuit, when asked why there hadn't been any more cases locally in the last fortnight, one of the local ministers this week said that the Thai government told him that he isn't allowed to talk to the press about it.  

Speaking to various friends based around Asia, most folk's work places (including my own) seem to have contingency plans for impending quarantines. Almost as though it's going to be inevitable. thinking of getting my self a Playstation, just in case. 

Japan, Korea and  especially Singapore are worth the watching in the coming weeks,

Really not so sure about that in relation to Singapore. There is a steady in crease of 2/3 daily (with around 5 a day being discharged and clear of the original infection). Most of the new infections are coming from know clusters, church and a building sites dormitory and contact tracing is ongoing in every scenario.

I think they will break 100, but given Chinese nationals and anyone with recent travel history are banned even from transiting through Singapore and the contact tracing and quarantining I don’t think there is much to see here.

Japan and Korea may be slightly different but don’t think we will see huge out breaks as such.

Definitely some countries are not been open about the cases or reporting, with such a low kill rate those figures could ‘disappear’.

Korea not looking good at all right now. Quite apart from the medical aspect, their economy is going to be in very deep trouble if this spreads.

You called it yesterday, serious spikes in Korea and Japan. The economic fall out will definitely be big, Singapore already adjusting their outlook, China will be a mess and Korea and Japan will also suffer. The wider implications will yet to be seen.

It’s not a huge killer, but boy does it spread. Singapore have a very good handle on things now and publish a lot of data on infected movements and pushing more and more quarantine.

That infrastructure may not really be there, even in Japan and Korea and that could be a big issue.

No medal finish for Singapore now

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Latest non Chinese figures with Iran storming up the rankings with some fine play from the Qom mullahs. Nowhere near the capitalist cruisers as yet though.

_110992342_globalmapfinal_21feb-nc.png

Seems a bit strange that some countries only have one case of a highly contagious virus. 

Something like the common cold or norovirus are highly contagious: this doesn’t seem to be *that* contagious at all. So long as the one or two infected in your country aren’t unusually effective at firing it out to others - hence the strong clustering of cases so far outside China - then it seems quite possible to quarantine them and avoid an outbreak.

That approach won’t be sustainable if South Korea and Iran make a roaring c**t of things and turn it into a regional epidemic though. The economic impact would be too significant and the chances of containment too low.

I think Iran have already made a c*** of it. And if any city in Korea can f*** things up it will be Daegu (I lived there many years ago). Italy also making a late effort to get in the placings.

The numbers in China would have been well down today if they hadn't discovered 500 cases across 3 prisons. Just one new case each on Beijing and Shanghai.