Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Authorities in China have warned that a new coronoavirus that has killed nine people could mutate further and cause more deaths.  The virus, known also as 2019-nCoV, is understood to be a new strain of coronavirus that has not previously been identified in humans.  Signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.

Cases have been reported in South Korea, the US and Thailand. 

Is it time to stock up on those little surgical masks?

Are we all completely fucked?

Should I take the Tamiflu I stockpiled for bird flu?

Have any P&Bers ever been part of a worldwide pandemic?

Edited by ICTChris

The makers of the wee face mask shares when up 10% in China yesterday (capped limit).

As for the Thailand, we have had 4 cases. 3 Chinese tourist and 1 Thai been to the Wuhan area of China.

Dr Sophon Iamsirithavorn, the director, said the 74-year-old Chinese woman arrived in Thailand from Wuhan on Jan 13. She was quarantined on arrival with a fever and tests confirmed she was carrying the 2019-nCoV

She was treated at the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute in Nonthaburi province.

She had since been declared free of the infection and had returned home to China on Tuesday, Dr Sophon said.

Why is this even news worthy?

12 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Doctors advice is to walk around with a slice of lime in your mouth.

I only came on here to joke that I've suffered from many a Coronavirus on a Sunday morning. You dick. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Authorities in China have warned that a new coronoavirus that has killed nine people could mutate further and cause more deaths.  The virus, known also as 2019-nCoV, is understood to be a new strain of coronavirus that has not previously been identified in humans.  Signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.

Cases have been reported in South Korea, the US and Thailand. 

Is it time to stock up on those little surgical masks?

Are we all completely fucked?

Should I take the Tamiflu I stockpiled for bird flu?

Have any P&Bers ever been part of a worldwide pandemic?

I'm like that all the time, apart from the fever.

17 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I was always told the surgical masks were worn by people who are ill with a contagious disease as a courtesy to stop others getting it? Is it just that people wearing them don’t want to catch anything? 

I wear mine to try and prevent catching anything as I have a shit immune system. 

It has been known about for a wee while, this is the first outbreak as such. Wouldn't be overly worried at this stage, just something for the media to harp on about to distract from whatever Boris and co are up to.