The 2020 Draft thread.

peasy23

Quite a while yet before it takes place in Vegas on 23-25th April, but the combine is only a month away. Bengals picking LSU quarterback Joe Burrow with the number one pick looks like a certainty, although the official line is "we will evaluate every player in the draft".

Seems the stage is going to be built on the lake in front of the Bellagio, with players transported to the stage by boat. That should add another hour to the tedium.

Burrow will go 1, Chase Young to the Redskins at 2.

No idea what the Giants will do but it’s a well known fact that Gettelman loves his offensive Linemen.

I love the talent in the Wide Reciever class.

As usual most of the mock drafts outside the first few picks will probably be wrong, but I've seen Louisville's OT Mekhi Becton as being a likely choice for the Giants at 4 in a couple I've read. 6 ft 7in and 369lbs. Ooft.

Seen as many as 6 WRs going in Round 1 in some of the mocks. Not sure where the 49ers will go, Sanders and Bourne are both free agents (though Bourne is restricted), but with a few on the defense including Armstead, Ward and Blair also free agents they might look for someone else on the D line.

49ers have a very limited set of picks at the moment after giving up picks in the trades for Dee Ford and Sanders. They have a 1st round pick, 2 5th rounds, 1 six round, and 2 7th round picks.

This is still the one bit of the NFL I can't really get my head around the chatter for this far out. 

Yeah the Bengals will pick Burrow unless they get an offer (Newton plus some picks from the Panthers?) but to use the Bills as an example, we're drafting 22nd, the world and their dog knows we need a WR & DE as top priority , but how can you control what trades and picks will go ahead of you, plus free agency will have started by then which can massively alter any team's needs.

This is still the one bit of the NFL I can't really get my head around the chatter for this far out. 
Yeah the Bengals will pick Burrow unless they get an offer (Newton plus some picks from the Panthers?) but to use the Bills as an example, we're drafting 22nd, the world and their dog knows we need a WR & DE as top priority , but how can you control what trades and picks will go ahead of you, plus free agency will have started by then which can massively alter any team's needs.

You'd imagine the Bills would go after a WR to give Allen another weapon.

Early predictions have the Seahawksgoing after a cornerback, which is needed as Flowers hasn't progressed. There's a lot of positions needing talent, but I think we'll be fairly active in free agency as we have a decent amount of cap space.

On 22/01/2020 at 22:52, GNU_Linux said:

Lions are 3rd up with picks in all rounds bar the 7th. Lions 1st rounder will be either DE Chase Young or CB Jefferey Okudah both of Ohio State. Which will hinge on what Redskins do as Bengals are going for a QB.

The way I see us going is:

Scenario 1 - Bengals take Burrows and someone trades the Redskins for Tua then we take Young.

Scenario 2 - Bengals take Burrows and Redskins take Young then we likely trade back with someone like Miami, Panthers etc trading up for Tua.

I'll be amazed if we stay at 3 if it goes Burrows/Young.

It's a really deep WR and offensive line class. Burrow is a phenomenal prospect and easy choice with the first pick. Tua is a franchise QB if he can make a full recovery. Herbert to me is the sort of guy NFL GMs love but I don't see it, too robotic and I don't think he handles big moments well. Chase Young is incredible, the comparison I've seen a couple of people make is Myles Garrett with better football IQ. He's looked better at the same school than Bosa did. The top 3 or 4 running backs are very good as well.

3 hours ago, CountyFan said:

With no first rounder the Rams are going to by bystanders in the early going, so my interest is going to be in who picks my favourite player in the draft - CeeDee Lamb. He's going to be a star in the NFL. 

Do the Rams have much cap space left for free agency? They seemed to go all out during the season.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Do the Rams have much cap space left for free agency? They seemed to go all out during the season.

Not a huge amount, and we have important free agents of our own as well that we will probably lose. They might need to look at a couple of surprise cuts to make the money work. Brockers, Littleton, Whitworth and Fowler are all free agents we are likely to lose. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2020 at 13:41, CountyFan said:

With no first rounder the Rams are going to by bystanders in the early going, so my interest is going to be in who picks my favourite player in the draft - CeeDee Lamb. He's going to be a star in the NFL. 

My hope is that he'll be tearing up your defence for years to come.

It's OT or WR for Cardinals at 8, if Lamb is there then I'd take him. He's got the attributes to be the number 1 guy and finally replace peak Fitzgerald (I know he's still here and still producing, but it's #2 numbers not #1). 

13 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

My hope is that he'll be tearing up your defence for years to come.

It's OT or WR for Cardinals at 8, if Lamb is there then I'd take him. He's got the attributes to be the number 1 guy and finally replace peak Fitzgerald (I know he's still here and still producing, but it's #2 numbers not #1). 

I imagine Kyler will be lobbying hard for Lamb. 

• 2 weeks later...