The Relegation Battle

5 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It's best to take what managers say publicly with a pinch of salt. He might be saying another thing entirely to his players.

But, then again, maybe he thinks looking up the table and aiming for the play offs suits the mentality of his players than looking down the way. Optimism over fear and all that.

A fair body of evidence amassed over the last two seasons, would suggest that any optimism is wildly misplaced.

Anyway, why should the benefit be given to someone prepared to speak such insulting rubbish publicly?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

It's best to take what managers say publicly with a pinch of salt. He might be saying another thing entirely to his players.

But, then again, maybe he thinks looking up the table and aiming for the play offs suits the mentality of his players than looking down the way. Optimism over fear and all that.
I'd be more inclined to give him some slack if he didn't field a side that looks absolutely doomed.

Sitting back and watching this unfold will be absolutely delightful if we are assuming that everyone from Dundee upwards is safe. 

Thistle are easily the worst team I have watched this season however that perhaps stems from Ayr's ability to make QOS look like 1990 AC Milan. I said a few pages back that the final table could be heavily influenced by a managerial change and subsequent new manager bounce. Do QOS fans see that happening at Palmerston?

7 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Sitting back and watching this unfold will be absolutely delightful if we are assuming that everyone from Dundee upwards is safe. 

Thistle are easily the worst team I have watched this season however that perhaps stems from Ayr's ability to make QOS look like 1990 AC Milan. I said a few pages back that the final table could be heavily influenced by a managerial change and subsequent new manager bounce. Do QOS fans see that happening at Palmerston?

We  can but live in hope. 

49 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A fair body of evidence amassed over the last two seasons, would suggest that any optimism is wildly misplaced.

Anyway, why should the benefit be given to someone prepared to speak such insulting rubbish publicly?

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
53 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'd be more inclined to give him some slack if he didn't field a side that looks absolutely doomed.

Sorry. I was speaking more in generalities. AJ is clearly a muppet.

Depends on whether or not our BoD have the balls. They gave him a 2 year deal so it'll cost them to get shot of him but if they don't it's going to cost them a relegation if things don't miraculously change. Then you have to decide who takes over. It's not exactly an exciting gig.

Give Dobbie a shot. At the very least he'd set up the side to aide him, not hinder him!

Depends on whether or not our BoD have the balls. They gave him a 2 year deal so it'll cost them to get shot of him but if they don't it's going to cost them a relegation if things don't miraculously change. Then you have to decide who takes over. It's not exactly an exciting gig.

Give Dobbie a shot. At the very least he'd set up the side to aide him, not hinder him!

Given how long it took them to bin Naysmith last season I’d wager AJ will be there until the summer.

AJ keeps a team about where they should be which is no good for queens as they need a manager to keep them punching above their weight. I'm not sure who they would bring in? The usually suspects or Dobbie?

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

AJ keeps a team about where they should be which is no good for queens as they need a manager to keep them punching above their weight. I'm not sure who they would bring in? The usually suspects or Dobbie?

Needing to not finish behind sides like Alloa and Arbroath, requires no punching above our weight.

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Use the money from Brownlie & Bakthaoiu to help pay them off.. 

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Needing to not finish behind sides like Alloa and Arbroath, requires no punching above our weight.

With the great season Arbroath are having at the moment it would. 

I was thinking that whoever Dundee United are playing by the end could have a big effect, if they had the title wrapped up they could rest players etc. As it is there last four games are Inverness, Dunfermline, Dundee and then Ayr. The only side likely to be in relegation trouble is Dunfermline tbh. 

15 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I was thinking that whoever Dundee United are playing by the end could have a big effect, if they had the title wrapped up they could rest players etc. As it is there last four games are Inverness, Dunfermline, Dundee and then Ayr. The only side likely to be in relegation trouble is Dunfermline tbh. 

Likewise Partick. They could have mathematical relegation wrapped up by then and have nothing to play for.

Agreed re how well Arbroath are doing. That said finishing 8th shouldn’t be punching above our weight no matter who might be below us.
With regards to resting players it might be just as relevant if teams are secure in a play off spot and might rest players I guess.
Three of our last four games are against Thistle, Alloa and Morton who I suspect like us may still have a great deal to play for.

30 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Arbroath are a better side than Queens especially after the window, Campbell also has them way above where they 'should' be finishing above Alloa should be possible and that's were AJ has you (just) 

19 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

So for Queens to continue to occupy the division they've been in for seventeen of the last eighteen seasons would constitute punching above their weight?

Aye, ok.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Sorry. I was speaking more in generalities. AJ is clearly a muppet.

Even in general terms, I've never got the argument that says it's ok to treat the public to nonsensical gibberish, because the players might be receiving a different message.  People used it to defend Strachan at Scotland too.

It's not unreasonable to require a manager to make sense when communicating with the rest of us.

7 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Luckily for you the rest of us are doing our best to stop you falling too far behind

how we are still a win away from being level on points with 8th shows how bad the overall quality of the league is....we should be dead and buried...don't see that win coming anytime soon tbf though.