The Relegation Battle

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:
Wat8.jpg?1315930535&key=634e24d3e8cc0284b14091a3bb949a517f2dc80506c939d83f27d690bea4fe2a

Indeed. Absolutely no danger Dunfermline will be anywhere near 2nd.

Being in the hunt for 2nd place is being in the hunt for a play-off. 

Am I being whooshed? It's been a while since I've been up here...

37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Indeed. Absolutely no danger Dunfermline will be anywhere near 2nd.

I'm pretty certain a few points maybe even goal difference will separate teams seperating 2-4

Being in the hunt for 2nd place is being in the hunt for a play-off. 
Am I being whooshed? It's been a while since I've been up here...
Probably not being whooshed, I just thought your post was in response to the claim Dunfermline could finish 2nd.

FWIW, 2nd just gives a slight advantage in the play-offs so that's what you want to be aiming for rather than just a play-off spot.

Imo you need a lot of good fortune to finish 3rd or 4th and still go up. Hamilton did I think but I can’t remember anyone else doing it.

Finishing 2nd doesn’t guarantee anything either but it gives you a much better chance.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Hamilton finished second, it was the season they humped Morton on the last day.

Only them and Livi have gone up and both finished a fairly comfortable second.

Indeed. We finished 3rd, and beat QOS after 2 legs.

We were then knackered and lost out 2-1 on aggregate to Accies.

In all honesty it was our own fault, we should have won the league that year comfortably but Holt blew it.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Hamilton finished second, it was the season they humped Morton on the last day.

Only them and Livi have gone up and both finished a fairly comfortable second.

Aye no team has done it yet.  If you finish 3rd or 4th you need to play 6 extra games to get promoted. 2nd you need to play 4. 

14 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye no team has done it yet.  If you finish 3rd or 4th you need to play 6 extra games to get promoted. 2nd you need to play 4. 

The Championship generally finishes 3 games before the Premiership so the 11th place team will probably play 5 games over the same period that the 3rd and 4th teams  potentially play 6.

Many people say its unfair on the teams finishing 3rd and 4th but i don't think it is.  If you finish 3rd/4th in a league of ten you should count yourself lucky that you even have the chance of promotion and I say this being a Morton fan who would love to take advantage of it.

The playoffs should probably be 11th v 2nd at a neutral venue but i'm not complaining.

53 minutes ago, madton said:

The playoffs should probably be 11th v 2nd at a neutral venue but i'm not complaining.

Dunfermline v Hearts at Easter Road would be tasty.

Inverness v Hamilton Accies at McDiarmid? Not so much. 

The Championship generally finishes 3 games before the Premiership so the 11th place team will probably play 5 games over the same period that the 3rd and 4th teams  potentially play 6.
Many people say its unfair on the teams finishing 3rd and 4th but i don't think it is.  If you finish 3rd/4th in a league of ten you should count yourself lucky that you even have the chance of promotion and I say this being a Morton fan who would love to take advantage of it.

I agree with this. Either make the leagues bigger so a mid table side can’t get into the play offs or just do second top versus second bottom.

Teams struggling to win a playoff from 3rd/4th has got nothing to do with tiredness and everything to do with not being good enough to sustain promotion-winning level of performance over six playoff matches: that’s why they finished midtable in this crap division in the first place. You could give them a week’s break between each playoff fixture and they’d still have a stinking performance and go out somewhere down the line.

Dunfermline are also definitely in the hunt for second place, given that this current league is just a massive bin fire from 2nd to 10th. If they keep up their current spurt of form then they could well move up to 2nd over the next few weeks.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Image result for wat

Guess I should have put a "just" in there. As in, we're on the hunt for 2nd, not just a play-off place ie finishing 3rd/4th which would require playing an extra two games. 

Given we go on these runs of 5 game wins, as is tradition, then 2nd place may well be achievable, but our record against Dundee United and Inverness is a shambles, to say the least. 

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Image result for wat

Deleting what he said previously has a massive impact on that statement, if we get 9 points from our next three games, including clawing three on Inverness we're absolutely on the lookout for second place. I just checked the table and we're only 5 points off just now, with Inverness also due to play United during that run.

This league is an absolute carcrash from 2nd to 10th.

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Deleting what he said previously has a massive impact on that statement, if we get 9 points from our next three games, including clawing three on Inverness we're absolutely on the lookout for second place. I just checked the table and we're only 5 points off just now, with Inverness also due to play United during that run.

This league is an absolute carcrash from 2nd to 10th.

2nd, 3rd and 4th are all play-off spots. So if you're in the hunt for 2nd you're in the hunt for the play-offs, not "never mind" the play-offs. That was the only thing I was questioning.

2nd, 3rd and 4th are all play-off spots. So if you're in the hunt for 2nd you're in the hunt for the play-offs, not "never mind" the play-offs. That was the only thing I was questioning.
I read it that not only are they in contention for a play-off spot (3rd or 4th) but the best play-off spot into the bargain (2nd).