The Relegation Battle

Last year was tight but this year looks like it could down to the wire.

Thoughts on who is for the chop?

I think Alloa will scrape by in 8th, Arbroath in 9th (will stay up after pumping Falkirk in the playoffs) and Queens to go down.

2A50C42B-A663-4CBC-B035-2AEDD3572688.png

Edited by Alert Mongoose

It would be hilarious if Partick Thistle got relegated, but it won't happen. I do still think Alloa will finish last, but I worry for Arbroath given their form seems to have fallen off a cliff. Dunfermline will be ok as they will go on one of those five game winning runs at some point.

In summary, Arbroath to finish 9th and lose to Raith Rovers in the playoffs, Alloa bottom.

I reckon Partick will end up 5th or 6th after making a big push for the playoffs but just falling short.

Arbroath to stay up in 8th whilst Morton and Alloa go down with the Ton beaten by Airdrie in the playoff final.

Would like Arbroath to stay up. Pretty much all the other teams from 4th down have under performed and even ICT and Ayr points wise I wouldnt say have over achieved. Arbroath have added something to a pretty poor league this year. 

My stab would be Alloa bottom and Arbroath 9th but hope I'm wrong. 

32 minutes ago, 101 said:

Inverness and Queens having bad transfer windows is good news for us, I think Dundee United will be safe (bold prediction) and the rest could finish in any order.

It's early yet but has anyone other than Thistle actually had a good window?

Everybody else is worse off or fairly neutral.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's early yet but has anyone other than Thistle actually had a good window?

Everybody else is worse off or fairly neutral.

I would say Glass has strengthened United, he has some real class but needs games gradually and he was one of their players anyway. But yes its not been a great window for the championship.

On paper we’ve had a good window (with more signings to come), and McCall is getting more out of a terrible squad than Caldwell did, which probably doesn’t surprise anyone. We should be fine, but the squad is still lopsided and lacking in talent, which will take more than one January window to fix.

Alloa looked marooned up until recently, but have picked up some important points recently (including last night), so 10th for them isn’t as certain as it looked a month ago. I still think their lack of depth will be their downfall, though - that squad looks really lacking in numbers.

A wee poll for the thread perhaps? [mention=18288]Alert Mongoose[/mention] could probably even include 4th spot at this rate. 
If these new signings prove to be decent would fancy us to be well clear of relegation. 

You’d hope so, but we still need a good centre back. The thought of O’Ware and Saunders with McGinty as our only cover for the rest of the season isn’t pleasant. Am I right in thinking that we’ve still not kept a clean sheet in the league this season?

If we get a goalkeeper that is of any decent quality in and start playing Murray at centre-half, then we'll probably be alright. Failing that, then our chances of finishing in the bottom 2 are quite high, IMO. 

Edited by DAFC.

I'd love to see Partick get relegated but probably unlikely given that they seem to have the money to buy their way out of trouble.  You'd have to say probably Alloa and Arbroath to fill the bottom 2 places, but Queens must also be a wee bit worried after losing Robbie McRorie and El Baktoui.  With 4 teams on 25 points at the moment, almost anyone could make the playoffs at either end of the table - games in hand could be very important.  Basically it's a really shite league with only Dundee United showing anything above mediocre.

It all points to us and Alloa finishing in the bottom two, however we have proved from day one that we are hard to beat, don't lose many goals and have a spirited bunch along with an experienced manager, just hope we hang in there and somehow managed to finish 8th. A lot depends what happens in the next week or so with any incomings.

Thistle seem to have strengthened somewhat and Dobbie and Nisbet are both massive to QOTS and Dunfermline. Morton seem to be battling well despite being pretty average. 

Would expect Dunfermline and Morton to punt their managers if they find themselves in real danger of being emptied from the division. This (usually) brings with it a new manager 'bounce', which could prove to be the difference.

On the opposite side of the coin, I would expect Arbroath (certainly) and QOTS and Alloa (probably) to stick with their management teams regardless.