Sign in to follow this  
Reggie Perrin

Bairns v Bridies

8 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

I think McManus was trying to hard to get a goal today the one where he only had the keeper to beat rather than cross it to Louis being the main one that stood out but after it he backheeled it for Connellys goal,  Sammon is a bit of an enigma i think McMillan and McManus work better than Sammon and McManus.

Some good play from McManus for the 4th goal also, keeper is spending that much time trying to get McManus off his toes that he fluffs a header that’s right at him.

Great backheel for Connolly aswell, love that man.

I can't decide between connolly or Miller for MOM. Thought Miller was outstanding today.

Thought Hall started poorly but seemed to settle and come onto a game. Today wasn't really a test though. Nice to see a centre back get a header on target. The other two have both missed tons of chances from set pieces.

I thought Todd too took a while to get up to speed, but hopefully some game time under his belt will help. Looked very decent second half.

De Vita looks a decent player as well. Some nice touches and deliveries. I'd still have Louis ahead of him though.

Doyle had a much better game today. Again, not tested at the back, but going forward his crosses were much better than usual. Hall mentioned in his interview he'd been practicing crossing with him in the week and it has played off. Doyle's engine coupled with good deliveries would be quite a weapon and I could go back to loving him.

Doyle, de vita, connolly and Dixon all put good crosses into the box today. I think MacMillan would have had a field day getting onto them. Instead we had sammon somehow perfecting the technique of jumping downwards when the ball came near him. It's one thing being shit at winning headers from long balls, but being a striker who won't attack a header is a problem. Very little in the way of link up play from him again today too. I don't think it's a totally a coincidence that we started ripping Forfar open when he went off,although they were there for the taking and I thought at half time we might go on to win by 4, despite the first half performance.

Miller is great at breaking things up keeping the team ticking over but his distribution ain’t great in fact at times is is awful.

Agree with much of what has been said. Was impressed with Hall (the ability to direct a header rather than Buchanan and Durnan's 'anywhere will do' attitude was refreshing and we finally scored from some set pieces as a result). Promising debut for Todd as well, a bit more match sharpness and he could be an excellent addition. Felt sorry for the Forfar keeper who made some great saves throughout and stopped it being double figures, agreed that Connolly was MotM and good to see Longridge back and quickly up to speed. All in all a good afternoons work with a couple of players rested for the game against Arbroath on Tuesday 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

McKinnon would have had us timewasting at 2-0... 

First half was poor but great to see the hunger to get more goals at the end - Miller and McCracken stamping their authority now. 

McKinnon’s dire legacy of woeful performances at home has made a number of players nervous. Once we had that second goal, the nerves just evaporated, and we got the sort of performance that would take apart anyone in this league.

Hopefully this was the game that announced FFC as being back in the room.

McKinnon’s dire legacy of woeful performances at home has made a number of players nervous. Once we had that second goal, the nerves just evaporated, and we got the sort of performance that would take apart anyone in this league.

Hopefully this was the game that announced FFC as being back in the room.

McKinnon has not been manager of our club for some weeks now (thank god). Why would he have anything to do with yesterday’s nervous start?…

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

McKinnon has not been manager of our club for some weeks now (thank god). Why would he have anything to do with yesterday’s nervous start?…

I think the boys point was McKinnon’s negativity has impacted the players confidence and self belief and yesterdays performance will help build it up.

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Theyve had any expression of play coached out them, i think if that was a RM game it would be a case of play for a draw and a win being a bonus.  That was the falkirk side we have been missing the past 2/3 seasons.  It might have took M and M a while to get them going but they have to find a style of play they want themselves and get that across to the team.  build on the defence then the attack and then the link up play and yesterday was it all coming together.

Theyve had any expression of play coached out them, i think if that was a RM game it would be a case of play for a draw and a win being a bonus.  That was the falkirk side we have been missing the past 2/3 seasons.  It might have took M and M a while to get them going but they have to find a style of play they want themselves and get that across to the team.  build on the defence then the attack and then the link up play and yesterday was it all coming together.

I think we’ve saw improved play for a number of weeks now so I don’t agree that it’s McKinnon related.
Forfar came out of the blocks with the intention of getting in front early and we were probably a little bit more reluctant with new players on board.
It came together late on but whist I think this team has enough about then to win the division under a decent management team I wouldn’t pass them the defence of a previous manager.
Quite simply, quite a few of them ain’t as good as they think they are....

As much as I want to believe it’s been M&Ms coaching and motivation that caused yesterday’s shagging. I’ll remain sceptical until I see us play our title opponents and teams higher up the league. Beating the teams fighting relegation should be a minimum, the real test for M&M will be getting us to turn results like our draws & defeats against Raith, Airdrie and East fife into wins. We’ve got a big couple months coming up.

As said before, McKinnon would have been happy with us slowing down once the second went in there yesterday, we need to be putting teams to the sword and make sure we continue to have the best GD in the league, might end up making all the difference in May.

Were the highlights Falkirk only? Or did we have zero chances?

You actually got off lightly in the highlights.

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

You nearly got a corner at one point in the first half.

Legacy. The players who were in the team under McKinnon were delivering some pretty nervy performances, and it’s not an easy thing to shake off. Results like yesterday go a long way in bringing it to an end.
Pre and post the second goal performances were hugely different as confidence started to flow through the team.

Results like that transfer the pressure to opponents. Very few will see us a side that can be rattled after yesterday’s result. M&M certainly seem to be going about things the right way.

3 hours ago, bernardblack said:

According to the BBC...

29253099_ScreenShot2020-01-26at16_58_05.png.ba8fd800de5c9459111095c691db2f69.png

16 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Pot calling the kettle black, methinks.

Uses "of" instead of "have".

Uses "scape goat" instead of "scapegoat".

Uses "atleast" instead of "at least".

Uses "hadnt" instead of "hadn't".

Uses "tues" instead of "Tues".

I'm only a grammar Nazi when somebody is being a p***k to another poster.

If you read further down, no one was being a p***k mate. Simply a misunderstanding, happy Sunday 👍🏻