Bairns v Bridies

1 hour ago, Rocco said:
5 hours ago, ShaggerG said:
Off the top of my head I think that Bell, Doyle, Durnan, Buchanan, Telfer, Tidser, Connolly & Sammon (who I suspect may be even longer) are the ones on the longest deals. As things stand I don't think that Durnan, Buchanan, Telfer & Tidser would be much help to us in the Championship, maybe even Sammon too? Bell's struggling fitness wise and Doyle & Connolly would probably be considered of average quality? I think it could be very difficult to move on any of them TBH.
The players that I think we would want to keep would be Dixon, Miller, Gomis, Longridge & McManus, all of whom are out of contract in the summer I think so will be difficult to retain.
That leaves us with McShane, McLean, Leitch,  Laverty and McMillan from McKinnon's tenure that we'd be in a position to release in the summer and I think it's fair to say that they'll all have to go to allow us to get better in.

Gomis will be 35 in the summer. As good as he's been this season, I'd think twice about offering him another deal if we're in the division above.

You make a good point however we'll need a squad, not just a starting 11 and I think it would be good to know that we could bring a player of his quality on in games.

I'd be amazed and disappointed if Sammon is on a longer deal. He must be on a decent wage coming from the prem to league 1. I think he will be on a 1 year deal similar to Gomis. The thought of Sammon just wandering about the pitch looking disinterested in the championship if we go up...(shudder)

Airdrie should be good for the win unless their second half riding by the Jambo's has scunnered them.
Wouldn't be too surprised to see Montrose take a point at Raith.
My point was, as you have backed up with your analysis, that we aren't likely to pull away from airdrie this weekend. Would be delighted to be wrong about that.

We have Forfar Stranraer East Fie Montrose Raith Peterhead in next six games. Airdrie Raith & EF have a similar run of games. It’s looking like that we simply must go on and win all matches till season end, as I don’t see ( apart from EF) dropping significant points. It would take an almighty slump for both Airdrie & RR to drop out. Interesting to see if the 1600 Airdrie away fans were all one off day visitors to away game at Hearts or have they got a return of fans with this seasons form so far ? 

Airdrie brought a fair support through to TFS and noisy with it.

My point was, as you have backed up with your analysis, that we aren't likely to pull away from airdrie this weekend. Would be delighted to be wrong about that.

I wasn’t arguing with you merely giving my thoughts on what the potential results would be.

20 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I'd be amazed and disappointed if Sammon is on a longer deal. He must be on a decent wage coming from the prem to league 1. I think he will be on a 1 year deal similar to Gomis. The thought of Sammon just wandering about the pitch looking disinterested in the championship if we go up...(shudder)

When his signing was announced the length of deal wasn't, which is unusual considering that all of the others were. I wondered at the time if the length of contract may have been what attracted him?

Stating the obvious but these games are must win due to our inability to beat any of the other top 4 teams.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but I keep hoping that this will be the week that we'll go out and dominate a team from start to finish, similar to how we did during the promotion seasons under Jefferies, mccall and hughes. Really lay down a marker which will then be the catalyst to a title winning run, unfortunately we have so far failed to do so, it's all been very limp.

With quite a few new faces for Forfar, not sure how Malks will set up his team, I'm thinking, maybe this:

McCallum

Meechs, Whyte, Stanger, BJ

Baino, Forbes, Docherty, Kirky

Doris, Shanley

I'd have Docherty nowhere near the starting XI but he seems to be undroppable by the Forfar coaching staff.

43 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Another four thousand fans willing/wishing we get out the traps and dominate, unfortunately we’ve played a regressive style of football that’s become the norm. With M&M taking charge, we are seeing positive change, however we’ve not beaten any of our rivals which we need to change. 16 games.....

Agreed, in slight defense of M&M the conditions were horrific away to east fife, raith at home I believe we would have won if telfer hadn't been an idiot, airdrie away we were poor.

10 hours ago, Sanity check needed. said:

Boring 3-0 win with a good 20 minute spell the rest a non event

Hopefully not, we have a bit of real competition now for places with some deadwood out. We haven't been amazing but we are at times trying to keep the ball on the deck with brief decent one touch passing, something we never saw under McKinnon.

Gomis will be 35 in the summer. As good as he's been this season, I'd think twice about offering him another deal if we're in the division above.

Does he not have an option if we go up?

On 22/01/2020 at 21:16, Rocco said:
On 22/01/2020 at 17:09, ShaggerG said:
Off the top of my head I think that Bell, Doyle, Durnan, Buchanan, Telfer, Tidser, Connolly & Sammon (who I suspect may be even longer) are the ones on the longest deals. As things stand I don't think that Durnan, Buchanan, Telfer & Tidser would be much help to us in the Championship, maybe even Sammon too? Bell's struggling fitness wise and Doyle & Connolly would probably be considered of average quality? I think it could be very difficult to move on any of them TBH.
The players that I think we would want to keep would be Dixon, Miller, Gomis, Longridge & McManus, all of whom are out of contract in the summer I think so will be difficult to retain.
That leaves us with McShane, McLean, Leitch,  Laverty and McMillan from McKinnon's tenure that we'd be in a position to release in the summer and I think it's fair to say that they'll all have to go to allow us to get better in.

The only debate about a new deal for Gomis should be if it's for one or two years. He can do a little bit of everything, seems like a great pro and it would be some continuity in a key area of the park.