Queens v Alloa

I think I understand what your point is, yes, but I'm not sure it's a particularly important one. I think you're saying Alloa are most dangerous (against Queens in particular) from wide, via crosses into the box and not so much cutting through the middle of your defence and that's the way we play. Is that right?

Either way I don't think we concentrate on crosses as an attacking weapon any more than is normal. In the 3-3 last season we did score two cracking goals from headers off good crosses. That memory might be influencing your view.

That's what I'm kind of saying. I don't know how Alloa generally hurt teams but the stats show that they hurt us mostly by crosses - 71% of your goals in the last 2 years being from crosses. I can't be bothered looking into the other sides stats against us but I'm confident that's easily the highest of anyone we've faced in the last 2 years. I never brought it up to have a dig at Alloa it was more to point out that we know Alloa are dangerous at crosses and you'd think we'd be well aware of that by now.

26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Dykes' lack of goals was a huge problem.

He's obviously doing well right now, but no side can really tolerate constantly fielding a forward who never scores.  Have people forgotten where we ended up last season? 

I liked Holmes, but in his last season he barely scored.  It's damaging.

I think the problem last season was that a lot of Dykes strengths were compromised to get the best out of Dobbie. It worked for Dobbie but, obviously not so well for Dykes, and ultimately not for the team. 

Dykes is playing as the focal point of Livis attack, presumably on the shoulder of the last defender, making runs in behind and into the channels. Last season, he was asked to play a deeper role. It allowed Dobbie to be more effective but not Dykes.

Unfortunately, Im not convinced Hamilton has that many goals in him. The keeper should never have had an opportunity to make a save from his chance at the end

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I think the problem last season was that a lot of Dykes strengths were compromised to get the best out of Dobbie. It worked for Dobbie but, obviously not so well for Dykes, and ultimately not for the team. 

Dykes is playing as the focal point of Livis attack, presumably on the shoulder of the last defender, making runs in behind and into the channels. Last season, he was asked to play a deeper role. It allowed Dobbie to be more effective but not Dykes.

Unfortunately, Im not convinced Hamilton has that many goals in him. The keeper should never have had an opportunity to make a save from his chance at the end

I agree regarding Hamilton, but maintain that Dykes was a hopeless finisher while with us, meaning his lack of goals wasn't just down to how he was deployed. 

Had he dealt better with the chances that did come his way, we'd have stayed out of trouble last season.

Hamilton was poor when on loan with us last season. He made such an impact I thought he was declared legally dead.

3 hours ago, Tam said:

I was told Semple limped into Palmerston today. Maybe he was carrying a knock. Like you I was surprised the young boy was pitched into this game cold. If Semple was fit, then it’s criminal on AJ’s part, along with not starting the game with a centre forward. As it was the lad nearly had a hat trick in the second 45. Imagine what he might have done with the crosses into the box to the midgets in the first half.

AJ stated with front 3 Oliver Murray & Dobbie on the middle a centre forward. 

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

AJ stated with front 3 Oliver Murray & Dobbie on the middle a centre forward. 

Eh? Sorry. Who’s the centre forward there?  Don’t say Oliver ffs.

Just now, SUPERSOUTH said:

He started Murray Right, Oliver Left and Dobbie thru the middle. 

I think he forgot to tell Dobbs that, given the amount of time out wide and outside the box. Also given his heading ability, how does that square with the crosses put into the box in the first half? Shambolic.

He started Murray Right, Oliver Left and Dobbie thru the middle. 

Yep that’ll get the best out of Dobbie. It’s not like we’ve got a heap of evidence that Dobbie does his best work with a big physical striker alongside him. [emoji50]
For all his limitations, in our team Hamilton is that player.

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep that’ll get the best out of Dobbie. It’s not like we’ve got a heap of evidence that Dobbie does his best work with a big physical striker alongside him. emoji50.png
For all his limitations, in our team Hamilton is that player.

Agree entirely think 442 is the way to get best out of Dobbie. 

Agree entirely think 442 is the way to get best out of Dobbie. 

Almost any system that allows us to play Dobbie up front with Hamilton would improve our team because it would get the best out of a guy who is far and away our best player. It doesn’t have to be 442 and given our lack of good wide players maybe we should look at something else but playing Dobbie as effectively a single striker or pushed out wide just doesn’t work.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Almost any system that allows us to play Dobbie up front with Hamilton would improve our team because it would get the best out of a guy who is far and away our best player. It doesn’t have to be 442 and given our lack of good wide players maybe we should look at something else but playing Dobbie as effectively a single striker or pushed out wide just doesn’t work.

We need a good winger in this week... 

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Really frustrating that Johnston can't see this given it is in the "blatantly fucking obvious" category.

He's signed some utter shite but I have a degree of sympathy towards him for this as I'm sure it can't be easy building a squad on our budget.  Coupled with his inability to get the best out of the squad he's assembled though and it doesn't reflect well on him.

He should have been emptied after the Queens Park debacle.