Queens v Alloa

He did well with the late saves, but to be honest, I thought that he should have saved them.
The curling Dobbie effort wasn't high enough.  It was actually quite close to the 'keeper.  He made it look better than was necessary by swatting it one handedly.  The Hamilton shot looked straight at him I thought.  Hamilton also missed a great chance with a header shortly before.  He tried a wee glancing effort that was comfortably saved, when a powerful downward header would have been a better bet.
I thought the ‘keeper flapped at the Dobbie effort and got lucky.

Hamilton’s headed effort was really poor and although the shot was straight at him I think the young lad at least deserves a bit of credit for being fast off his line and narrowing the angle.

He was very clearly a complete rookie though yet we barely tested him until late on. One of our many glaring mistakes today.
Dobbies shot was deflected up. It was a really good save

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
40 minutes ago, Waspie said:
We are already missing two absolutely key men in Graham and Trouten. Then we lose MacDonald who has been so important to us, meaning we played a bit of the first half and all of the second half with a young keeper who had made one senior appearance previously, two years ago. I can fully understand the frustration of the QoS fans. To lose and after getting back to 2-2 is appalling. 
From our point of view, it's fantastic. A really special group of players who keep digging out big performances and results against the odds. 

Your young 'keeper ensured you got all 3 points tbf. He looked shaky at crosses but he made a cracking save from Dobbie late on and a superb one soon after from Hamilton.

Should never got anywhere near the Hamilton chance .

Hamilton just never has the confidence to go on and score even for his goal  the ball just hit him 

Hamilton just never has the confidence to go on and score even for his goal  the ball just hit him 
After today's display I thought I couldn't possibly see anymore shite tonight. Congratulations on proving me wrong.

2 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

His goal was strange.  I though the chance had gone as the defender and 'keeper seemed to have managed an unlikely block.  Next thing, it was in the roof of the net.  Did Hamilton sort of volley it in from the ground? The ball seemed to be behind him before it went in.

56 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Have to admit I thought the opposite. There was a song about how terrible we were and then it was "Dirty Tory b*****ds" and "Are you England in disguise/English b*****ds" on repeat throughout. Add in them mouthing off to our support every time they went in their packs to the loo or shop, them letting off a flare and them being spoken to by the stewards on several occasions (I can't recall seeing that many stewards at the away end, especially for such a small group) I actually thought they were the biggest fuckwits we've had at Palmerston for a while.

God forbid there should be an atmosphere especially at that farce

Remember when we used to sing and drum all through the games when we had crowd 

Have to admit I thought the opposite. There was a song about how terrible we were and then it was "Dirty Tory b*****ds" and "Are you England in disguise/English b*****ds" on repeat throughout. Add in them mouthing off to our support every time they went in their packs to the loo or shop, them letting off a flare and them being spoken to by the stewards on several occasions (I can't recall seeing that many stewards at the away end, especially for such a small group) I actually thought they were the biggest fuckwits we've had at Palmerston for a while.
there
Deffo one of worst away supports in a while it was same the last season led by the older big rounded one who got kicked out last Season down here bit a trouble maker plus touching the little ball girl hair on way past better watch he get a name for himself

God forbid there should be an atmosphere especially at that farce
Remember when we used to sing and drum all through the games when we had crowd 
Yeah acting like complete fannies should definitely be encouraged at football matches so long as it creates an atmosphere.

f**k me.

I am used to watching lacklustre QoS performances but that first half goes straight into the top 10. The manager is getting it as well  as  the players. What was the plan? Why were we playing without a centre forward? What’s the point of above head height crosses for midgets in the box?

The good points - Brownlie made the inexperienced Motherwell lad an instant star. Hamilton put the big Alloa guys at the back under some pressure at 0-2. Dobbie’s goal was a piece of class.

At 2-2 and having conceded two quick goals I was impressed that Alloa started to press for a winning goal rather than sit back and defend. Fair play to them.

No surprise that a side who escaped automatic relegation by goal difference last season should be struggling this time round. I am definitely looking down at play-offs, not up.

The tactics right from the off for Queens were so far wrong  Exactly the same as the last time we played Alloa at home. They were happy to sit deep and force us up the pitch with full knowledge they can counter effectively. Two goals last time around from long balls into the channels followed by a low whipped cross into the 6 yard box and no prizes for guessing how today's goals came about. So predictable yet somehow the management seemed to forget about this when applying a gameplan. They were more clinical and have determined bodies behind the ball. 

I thought Paton was probably our best player when he came on and did well in the centre of the park to add some kind of link up to the forwards. Second half was better and we did have chances but in typical Queens fashion our shooting wasn't up to par and all were down the keepers throat. I will say that earlier this season Brownlie added a threat in the air which was severely lacking and has made some mature defensive displays...however this has to be up there with one of the worst 90 minutes you can have as a player. Almost every touch was the exact opposite of what you would expect to happen. Game might have been completely different if it wasn't for his mistakes.

But again, crosses. Learn the basics. Alloa certainly have.

Edited by Highlandhamer
Spelling

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

You guys are not taking this well are you ? 

Arbroath fans were like this , the opposing side does take some credit .

Scored two incisive goals. Played some decent stuff against a woeful QoS side. I have already credited them with having the balls to go for another goal after losing two in quick time. They went for it and I wasn’t surprised they scored a third. I think anybody would be delighted with that if their team did the same, especially away from home.

I would add how Alloa played didn’t surprise me and Peter Grant sent the team out with a clear game plan ( Brownlie’s gift apart). I didn’t see any QoS game plan in the first 45.

Yet again absolutely shite. His first effort got blocked and turned into a bit of a stramash with bodies, he did well to lift it over them. I’m not his biggest fans but he offered so much more than Oliver did

7 minutes ago, Tam said:

Scored two incisive goals. Played some decent stuff against a woeful QoS side. I have already credited them with having the balls to go for another goal after losing two in quick time. They went for it and I wasn’t surprised they scored a third. I think anybody would be delighted with that if their team did the same, especially away from home.

I would add how Alloa played didn’t surprise me and Peter Grant sent the team out with a clear game plan ( Brownlie’s gift apart). I didn’t see any QoS game plan in the first 45.

It's got to be a huge concern if anyone is being outsmarted by Peter Grant.

For the first goal I thought dobbie tried too much on the ball and once beat Alloa broke down their right. Brownlie had to play the ball as there was a forward behind him but he didn't need to head it straight to Alloa. For the second everyone could see Mercer was struggling having took a sore one a minuet earlier. Alloa played a long diagonal ball that Mercer couldn't cut out and due to his injury was well beat for pace. Third goal came about because Paton got bundled off the ball in midfield and instead of getting up and getting back into position stayed on the ground. When ball was again played out Alloa right Dobbie was easily beat when he should have tried to stand up to his man or delay his progress, he didn't track back and there was no Holt or central midfielder (Devine)  available to cut out the cross into the box. the rest is history

2 hours ago, SueSue said:

Semple was fully ready to play today but he picked an 18 year old lad instead next to a defender who is clearly leaving !!

I was told Semple limped into Palmerston today. Maybe he was carrying a knock. Like you I was surprised the young boy was pitched into this game cold. If Semple was fit, then it’s criminal on AJ’s part, along with not starting the game with a centre forward. As it was the lad nearly had a hat trick in the second 45. Imagine what he might have done with the crosses into the box to the midgets in the first half.

5 minutes ago, Tam said:

I was told Semple limped into Palmerston today. Maybe he was carrying a knock. Like you I was surprised the young boy was pitched into this game cold. If Semple was fit, then it’s criminal on AJ’s part, along with not starting the game with a centre forward. As it was the lad nearly had a hat trick in the second 45. Imagine what he might have done with the crosses into the box to the midgets in the first half.

Semple was and is fit to play. 

20 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Yet again absolutely shite. His first effort got blocked and turned into a bit of a stramash with bodies, he did well to lift it over them. I’m not his biggest fans but he offered so much more than Oliver did

Hamilton did offer more than Oliver which would not be hard. .but neither player will ever get us a decent goal return .

Hamilton did offer more than Oliver which would not be hard. .but neither player will ever get us a decent goal return .
We don't necessarily need them to bang goals in for us (Dykes certainly didn't) but we need a system that helps them set up chances for Dobbie. Hamilton and Dobbie up front together would be the best chance of that IMO.

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
39 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

We don't necessarily need them to bang goals in for us (Dykes certainly didn't) but we need a system that helps them set up chances for Dobbie. Hamilton and Dobbie up front together would be the best chance of that IMO.

Dykes' lack of goals was a huge problem.

He's obviously doing well right now, but no side can really tolerate constantly fielding a forward who never scores.  Have people forgotten where we ended up last season? 

I liked Holmes, but in his last season he barely scored.  It's damaging.

I think I understand what your point is, yes, but I'm not sure it's a particularly important one. I think you're saying Alloa are most dangerous (against Queens in particular) from wide, via crosses into the box and not so much cutting through the middle of your defence and that's the way we play. Is that right?

Either way I don't think we concentrate on crosses as an attacking weapon any more than is normal. In the 3-3 last season we did score two cracking goals from headers off good crosses. That memory might be influencing your view.

Technically yes but I think you get the point I'm making.