Rangers Mk II v Super St Mirren

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 20:20, buddie06smfc said:

I'll be there our solitary visit to Ibrox for the season. Looking forward to the bile, £29 for the pleasure is a bit steep mind you.

Think we are left with no other choice than to go with the centre halves signed this month so it will be a big introduction for them, unless Goodwin brings Paul McGinn/Foley into a back 5. I would fully expect us to park the bus in any case, I think most Rangers fans would expect that as well. I can envisage a Rangers goal after 5 mins, throwing that right out the window. Other option might be to drop Waters and play McGinn at left back. 

I would go 4-5-1 with:

Hladky

Mcginn - McCarthy -  Famewo - Waters

Magennis - Flynn - Foley - Macpherson - Morias

Obika

Obika with a Steven Thompson-esque 90th minute equaliser. 

McGinn is a better left back than Waters despite being a right back. I'd play Flynn at RB and McGinn LB and Bring in McGrath or Andreu.

Gerrard has said nice things about us in the pre-match presser including what is, I believe, the longest and most convoluted euphemism for 'they parked the fucking bus and are going to do it again' that I've ever read. 😂

Gerrard said: “St Mirren didn’t really open up against us at their place either.

“I think we take it as a compliment in many ways that people respect our quality and our threat. We see it as a challenge.

“St Mirren are going to set us a challenge for 90 minutes.

“They will set themselves up and say to us ‘come and beat us, the pressure is on you’. We respect that.

“I thought they were outstanding in the last fixture and there were moments when you were thinking maybe two points could have been taken from us because of their organisation and shape.

“We have to find a way and if we can’t do it in normal play we have to do whatever it takes to get over the line and get maximum points.”

Rangers are about to embark on a run of five league games, four at home. And Gerrard is urging the Ibrox faithful to get behind the team during this crucial stage.

He insisted “It is not as easy as it looks from the stands. I have been there as a player when teams come and they set up in that way.

“It is tough and it is a challenge.

“I believe this team has got better at this challenge and we have better players now which helps. We have to, at times, just not really focus on the moans and groans and really focus on the belief that it will come and we will find a breakthrough.

“You have to keep asking the questions, keep playing at that intensity and that style and rhythm that has got us a lot of success.

“Teams are setting us a challenge and it is our job to try and solve it.

“There is a lot more confidence and self-belief within the group and we accept these challenges when teams come to Ibrox and show these tactics.

“That is just the way it is, that is life and we have to get on with it.”

FT 1-0

Sounds like it was a park the bus job, shame we didn’t get the late equaliser, oh well.

Decent night for us all in. Goal difference didn’t take a hammering. Killie, St Johnstone, Accies all lost and Hearts and Ross County drew. Those other results are all perfect for us.

Onto a very winnable game on Sunday against Aberdeen.

McCarthy should've thrown himself at that Macpherson free kick.

Wasn't a great game to watch, thought we nullified Rangers well. The goal was annoying as it was slightly fortuitous with a mis hit cross.

We had a couple of short spells when we were able to string a few passes together but we didn't threaten at all.

The other results all went our way and we gave a reasonable account of ourselves. I'd have taken that before the game.

13 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Ugly football and, to St Mirren's credit, they almost executed their game plan perfectly.

Only Borna got pass marks from me though Ojo looked lively when he came on.

I thought Ojo was good when he came on too. Needs to be given more slack by the supporters imo but once a boo boy has been found they usually don't let up.

A seriously boring game and fair play to St Mirren. Two games in a row they've restricted us to two clear chances over 180 minutes. Goodwin's a good guy and certainly knows how to set up a defence.

Decent enough performance, had we maybe went for it a bit earlier it might have come good. Famewo & Waters use of the ball was pretty hopeless at times. I thought Obika had the beating of Goldson every time but we gave him hardly anything to work with. McCarthy should’ve been taking that ball with him as flew into the net with that chance - that was one but he was excellent otherwise. We got the ball down at times and played some good football without really creating anything. Durmus had a couple of decent bits of play before proceeding to flung himself to the ground.

Chinese Rangers supporters club was shocking.

Edit: excellent Danny Mullen cameo as he came on intent to smash anything that was wearing a blue shirt. Barisic shat it and Paul McGinn got the brunt of the ball clattering off him. My kind of player.

We have done well to limit a very dangerous Rangers team to a handful of chances over 2 games.

That's three narrow 1 goal defeats to the Old Firm. Obviously you want to take points in every game, but they have both totally destroyed much better teams than us this season.

On 20/01/2020 at 21:17, The_Kincardine said:

Given the overlap on the venn diagram between BAWA and St Mirren fans on P&B I am amazed that you're so put out by this.

Edit:  You also completely missed the point of @bennett's post.

I think BAWA is mostly just Shull talking to himself these days to be honest. Best avoided.

Considering both young central defenders only arrived 2 weeks ago (from Ireland and England) and this was their first ever Premiership game they did very well in the circumstances. A heavy defeat would have shattered their confidence. The shape and discipline was good for the task set but the out ball was poor most of the time. However goal difference not taking a hit and other results going our way made it an ok night. Had hoped to see new boy McGrath as he looks a player but not in the squad for some reason.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Considering both young central defenders only arrived 2 weeks ago (from Ireland and England) and this was their first ever Premiership game they did very well in the circumstances. A heavy defeat would have shattered their confidence. The shape and discipline was good for the task set but the out ball was poor most of the time. However goal difference not taking a hit and other results going our way made it an ok night. Had hoped to see new boy McGrath as he looks a player but not in the squad for some reason.

I'd wondered if he still has a suspension from his time in Ireland but no sign of him on the SFA list. Duckens Nazon still on it though 😂

12 hours ago, GAD said:

I think BAWA is mostly just Shull talking to himself these days to be honest. Best avoided.

Rick and Shull were in some deep discussion about who was the biggest c**t when 'both' was the obvious answer.

Won't be back for a while.

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Rick and Shull were in some deep discussion about who was the biggest c**t when 'both' was the obvious answer.

Won't be back for a while.

If they'd known you were lurking, the answer would surely have changed to 'all three of us'.