What Gives You The Heebie Jeebies?

Dee Man

Heights.
I once took my daughters to the Ratho Climbing Centre for a go on the aerial obstacle course.
It starts off with a zip slide and then you start walking across logs and the likes about 200 feet up.
I managed the zip slide, got two or three steps on to the first log, looked down and that was that. I gingerly took a couple of steps back to solid ground and refused to go any further.
Someone had to come and remove the harness from me and I made my way back to ground level.
Meanwhile my daughters, age 11 and 8 completed the course and took great delight in my abject failure.
Even now, 12 or 13 years later they take great pleasure in reminding me of this particular failure.

7 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Humans aren’t designed for heights anyhow; lucky the adrenaline seekers haven’t been selected out by nature yet.

Aye, like a fear of sharks, I wouldn't put a fear of heights into the irrational category. Falling from height is obviously quite dangerous so the fear response making you wary is probably a good thing; cotton wool between the teeth, not so much.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd quite happily push him off a cliff.

Each to their own Sarge, I'll make do with informing you all of his timely passing on the Selfie stick thread.

When you fanny about making sure you have the perfect shot of yourself on a wee bit off wood miles in the sky then its only a better of time until you succumb to natural selection - to push him off you would have to be near the edge and I couldn't go that close.

Just now, 101 said:

Each to their own Sarge, I'll make do with informing you all of his timely passing on the Selfie stick thread.

When you fanny about making sure you have the perfect shot of yourself on a wee bit off wood miles in the sky then its only a better of time until you succumb to natural selection - to push him off you would have to be near the edge and I couldn't go that close.

I'd do it with a stick.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Did this not occur to you whilst ascending?

I don't mind going up or the view from the top as I can use the wide part of  the stair and I kind of grab the stairs going up, basically all fours

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I looked down one from the top of a lighthouse, never again.

I just about emptied my bowels as I looked down and some cheery American informed me it was 246 stairs to the bottom

Dentist’s scraper/drill/polisher. That high pitched whirring noise and the feeling against the gums and teeth.

Also now seem to have a problem with the thought of giving blood. Used to do it regularly but have flaked out the last 3 times. They’ve just stopped me from donating. No idea why it all went pear shaped. Heart starts racing as soon as the blood starts coming out.

10 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

People opening bottle caps with their teeth.

Had a mate at uni who used to do this regularly. Nope, absolutely disgusting. Gives me the fear.

When I was in school a kid in my year got seriously injured when he was trying to open a beer bottle on a wall.  It smashed and he ended up cutting his hand really badly, he sliced all his tendons.