What Gives You The Heebie Jeebies?

Dee Man

One that surprises me somewhat is a thing at Landmark whereby you climb up a tower in a harness attached to a wire and simply step off a platform into thin air (at which point the wire slows you down during your freefall).

The number of grown adults that climb up and sh*te it is remarkable. Probably not helped that all eyes are on you seeing as it's one at a time.

17 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

One that surprises me somewhat is a thing at Landmark whereby you climb up a tower in a harness attached to a wire and simply step off a platform into thin air (at which point the wire slows you down during your freefall).

The number of grown adults that climb up and sh*te it is remarkable. Probably not helped that all eyes are on you seeing as it's one at a time.

Not for the faint hearted.

See...heights and open space around doesn't bother me a bit. I used to rock climb years ago and loved it. Put me in an enclosed space though and it's a whole different matter. I'm not sure where that came from because I wasn't claustrophobic when I was younger and I don't recall any traumatic experience that would've caused it. A few years back we were over to England visiting friends and as our driving route took us past Ingleton Caves, I had the bright idea of taking another trip through. I'd been there as a kid and loved it, so it would be fun, right?

I'm not sure what the tecknickal term is for crippling anxiety but by God, I had it that day. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

See...heights and open space around doesn't bother me a bit. I used to rock climb years ago and loved it. Put me in an enclosed space though and it's a whole different matter. I'm not sure where that came from because I wasn't claustrophobic when I was younger and I don't recall any traumatic experience that would've caused it. A few years back we were over to England visiting friends and as our driving route took us past Ingleton Caves, I had the bright idea of taking another trip through. I'd been there as a kid and loved it, so it would be fun, right?

I'm not sure what the tecknical term is for crippling anxiety but by God, I had it that day. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

The technical term is Panic 😭

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Cant believe this hasn't been yet, but a massive hangover provokes heeby jeebys on a scale not yet met by anyone here.

Extra points if Christian Bentekes or Calvin Kleins involved

If by heebie jeebies you mean crippling anxiety and self-inflicted depression for the best part of a week, then I agree. 

15 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

It genuinely pains me that this hasn't been commented on yet, but look at the state of those gutties. Absolutely honking. 

You don't deserve feet. 

I thought it was a really bad photoshop. 

If by heebie jeebies you mean crippling anxiety and self-inflicted depression for the best part of a week, then I agree. 

There hasn’t been many occasions when it’s has the best of me for as long as a week but on far too many occasions I have had what you described on a Sunday night/ Monday morning after a heavy weekend. Waking up in middle of the night and not knowing if you have 5 minutes or 5 hour a left in bed whilst too afraid to look at the time, cold sweats and constant thoughts of death and dying alone of some crippling disease. At times like that it’s almost as if going balls deep on a depressant drug is bad for you.

There hasn’t been many occasions when it’s has the best of me for as long as a week but on far too many occasions I have had what you described on a Sunday night/ Monday morning after a heavy weekend. Waking up in middle of the night and not knowing if you have 5 minutes or 5 hour a left in bed whilst too afraid to look at the time, cold sweats and constant thoughts of death and dying alone of some crippling disease. At times like that it’s almost as if going balls deep on a depressant drug is bad for you.
Gid at the time but eh

Gid at the time but eh

Well it depends how old you are and if you should really be knowing better by now. As you say it’s much worse if there’s a couple of jeffs or some marching powder coming out of your system but if it’s just booze and you are older than 25 then you should be more educated as to what you are poisoning your body with.

I've never had the fear tbh. Felt like utter shite yes but that's all.

It’s quite like the scene Renton is hallucinating in his bed in the first Trainspotting film but without the baby on the ceiling and in most cases without Begbie in bed next to you. You just know it’s a case of sweating all the booze or drugs out of your system whilst you’re still awake as sleeping just isn’t an option, heart racing and cold sweats, paranoia and anxiety and the constant thought of death running through your mind with the alarm for work possibly seconds away from forcing you to get out of bed and face the world. It’s fun!

It’s quite like the scene Renton is hallucinating in his bed in the first Trainspotting film but without the baby on the ceiling and in most cases without Begbie in bed next to you. You just know it’s a case of sweating all the booze or drugs out of your system whilst you’re still awake as sleeping just isn’t an option, heart racing and cold sweats, paranoia and anxiety and the constant thought of death running through your mind with the alarm for work possibly seconds away from forcing you to get out of bed and face the world. It’s fun!
Have on at least one occassion heard whispers that I thought were real. After a drug fuelled weekend, the paranoia and lowness is horrific. Glad I live a cleaner life these days. Even major drinking sessions give me sabbath fever though.