Raith v Montrose

Tough game but one we can’t really afford to drop points in with Falkirk and Airdrie breathing down our necks.

Hopefully we see a new signing or 2 before this game or even potentially Gullan back?

I’ll go with 3-1 with Baird continuing his scoring streak and MacDonald and Miller getting a goal a piece as well.

Montrose were unlucky to lose last time out, so expect a really tough game. 
These all have that must win feel to them though. 
Good to read that you acknowledged we played really well in the last game and I think it would be fair to say we deserved something out of the game. Raith had one shot all game but that's all it took.
Looking forward to the game. I do worry our momentum will have gone after not playing for two weeks. Saying that our form over the last few months has been tremendous and so we should be confident to go and get a result.

Good to read that you acknowledged we played really well in the last game and I think it would be fair to say we deserved something out of the game. Raith had one shot all game but that's all it took.
Looking forward to the game. I do worry our momentum will have gone after not playing for two weeks. Saying that our form over the last few months has been tremendous and so we should be confident to go and get a result.

Rovers will be far too strong for the mighty mo

Feel like these next few games are really important. Three of the next four league games after this are away from home. For me, we need to be looking at a win v Montrose, then 6 points as a minimum from those. Falkirk seem to be getting their shit together week on week and are still unbeaten under their new management. Who we are able to get in this month will have a huge bearing on the destination of the league trophy, you’d think.

Spencer being out would have been a big blow a few months ago but Tait has been a more than adequate replacement; indeed it would be a difficult choice to choose between them should they both be fit. I do think Matthews needs to play, we are far too soft in the middle without him. Montrose rightly felt aggrieved to have lost all three points last time out and we’ll need to be better than then to get a result. Interesting few weeks coming up.

The Mo have only ever won 3 league games at Starks Park and two of them were in our 84/5 championship season but I think they are well capable of getting something from this next game. In the 24/August game the Mo fielded a very under strength side and deservedly lost 0-3 but held out at 0-0 until about 20 minutes to go when a couple of disruptive subs were made. - otherwise could have nicked a point. In the 0-1 at LP in November everybody present knew the Mo only had themselves to blame for not being out of sight at half-time but credit to Raith they got it together and won with their only shot at goal. Why am I recalling that? Because this next game is by no means a foregone conclusion - we shall see and I'll be there.

If we move the ball and play like we did 1st half at Methil or in spells at Livvi then Montrose (or anyone else)won't be able to live with us, play like we did at Forfar and we could well get done over.

It'll greatly depend on what Raith side shows up.

16 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

The Mo have only ever won 3 league games at Starks Park and two of them were in our 84/5 championship season but I think they are well capable of getting something from this next game. In the 24/August game the Mo fielded a very under strength side and deservedly lost 0-3 but held out at 0-0 until about 20 minutes to go when a couple of disruptive subs were made. - otherwise could have nicked a point. In the 0-1 at LP in November everybody present knew the Mo only had themselves to blame for not being out of sight at half-time but credit to Raith they got it together and won with their only shot at goal. Why am I recalling that? Because this next game is by no means a foregone conclusion - we shall see and I'll be there.

Just looking back at the league tables from Season 84-85 on wiki. Quite an eye-opener how clubs' fortunes have changed since then. It was a long time ago but quite damningly it states this was the last year, a team outside of the Old Firm won the Premier League.

Hope the Mo can get something from this, following their time off.

I agree with those above about these games feeing like ‘must wins’  with Falkirk getting their act together. Add that to the fact that our points to game ratio isn’t overly great and wouldn’t usually see the team sitting top of a division. If we carry on with our points to game ratio I think we will be overtaken for sure. So that means we need to put a run of a fair few wins together - in that context home games just have to be 3 points. 

It will likely be tight, but at home I fancy* us to just about sneak it.

Two in two for Bairdy as well. Confidence should be sky high - hopefully it’s the start of a run after his initial dry spell! 

I’m also really excited to see the Robbo/TAA (sorry, Miller and McDonald) combination back against league one opposition. That was so potent for us in the early part of the season.

Just fucking win!

*hope like f**k 

I think what's really holding us back is not having a proper goal scorer.

If you look back through the last decade, then most title winning teams have a player scoring around the mid 20s. We don't have anyone getting  near that although we do share our goals around. Gullan is our best with 9 as he barely squeazes in to the top 5 in the league.

We could really do with a reliable striker that can get us out of sticky situations but, unless we get a surprise diamond in the loan market, I just can't see where they will come from.

Ideally it would have been Vaughan!

We've been out of action for two Saturdays and yet to take a point from the two 'big' teams in the league. I'd be delighted with a point, utterly delirious with three. Can cope with zip as long as that sod Baird doesn't score. 

My first trip to Kirkcaldy - recommendations for a decent lunch appreciated.

Edited by Scorge

13 minutes ago, Scorge said:

We've been out of action for two Saturdays and yet to take a point from the two 'big' teams in the league. I'd be delighted with a point, utterly delirious with three. Can cope with zip as long as that sod Baird doesn't score. 

Novar Bar if your early enough. The Wheatsheaf is decent for a pub lunch but a bit further away. 

Novar Bar if your early enough. The Wheatsheaf is decent for a pub lunch but a bit further away. 
I'd phone the novar and book a table as it is busy pre match. Get good standard pub grub there. Not been in the wheatseaf for years, didn't even realise they did food. Will have to give it a go from your recommendation Calderón.

1 hour ago, Scorge said:

If you’re driving, the Path Tavern is usually okay for a pub lunch. The Duchess is okay too. Marino’s Italian place up the Gallatown does a 3 courser for a tenner. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Baird has got it in him. He's proven it over however many years that he can sore goals. He's looking fitter each week and has scored I the last couple. I wouldn't bet against him getting 10 or so in the final 15.

Baird definitely looks more like the player we hoped we were getting now he’s up to speed again. Hopefully he can keep scoring.

For a simple and reasonably priced bar lunch if coming down by train or bus then the Novar bar is the nearest best option, followed by the Dutches. If your happy with a pub chain type place there’s a Wotherspoons, The Exchequer and O’Connells do food too. Further along the high street 3 Indian restaurants do lunch deal (I’d opt for the Annapurna). If you coming by car then there are a rake of good options on the road in from the north side of town. the Diningroom, the Elbow room,  Strathearn hotel and the Path Tavern are all good.