Clyde vs East Fife

MotM will be a toss up between Grant, Lang and Rumsby.

Delighted to see Ranks back and to get an assist just shows what we have missed this season. That Injury could easily have finished his career but even at his age he is clearly determined to keep going and as Dannt says, he is a machine.

Negatives; McNiff was dreadful. He didn't even have much defending to do and he was still all over the place. It doesn't seem like much at the time but right before the EF goal he mis-controlled the ball straight out of play with no-one near him; he just gives possession away constantly.

I'd hope to never see that starting line-up again. Wylde didn't have a clue how to play centrally, Love put in another anonymous starting display (keep him as a super-sub which has always been his strength) and Johnston was his usual self. No idea what the gameplan was supposed to be; we seemed to spend most of the match launching big cross-field passes to Johnston.

Positives; Lang giving a burst of pace and strength to the backline that has been missed. Howie did much better at right-back than he previously had, and it'll be to our benefit when he ends up at centre half alongside Lang. Both had outstanding last ditch blocks, one in either half. That was Grant's best performance for ages and Rankin looked as excited as a 17 year old making his debut. Obviously Goodwillie took his goal brilliantly.

The main positive is taking three points from a match in which we were second best for most of the second half. East Fife will feel they should have taken at least a point.

If we had lost today I would have accused DL of shoehorning, but it's hard to complain with 3 points on the board. I'm not convinced you can have love and wylde in the staring eleven but DL has forgotten more about football than I know so as long as we are out of the relegation zone I won't complain.

Was that really Lang's first senior goal?

If it was the timing was perfect. 

20 minutes ago, Clyde_1977 said:

If we had lost today I would have accused DL of shoehorning, but it's hard to complain with 3 points on the board. I'm not convinced you can have love and wylde in the staring eleven but DL has forgotten more about football than I know so as long as we are out of the relegation zone I won't complain.

Was that really Lang's first senior goal?

If it was the timing was perfect. 

Very first

That was a massive win today. Probably not deserved on the balance of play but we’ll take it. Think we shaded the first half, without creating much by way of clear chances. East Fife easily the better team second half so they’ll be raging that they lost. 
Great to see some players coming back (Rankin especially notable). Hopefully we’re starting to get out of the injury nightmare that’s plagued us all season and can start looking up rather than over our shoulders at the relegation spots. 
Decent turnout from Fife today btw. 

I disagree slightly with one or two who didn’t think Wylde contributed much, I thought he had a very decent first half; agree faded badly in second ... fitness maybe and being on right side didn’t help.

Issues are still McNiff giving away possession pretty constantly and Johnstone’s awful final ball, I am beginning to wonder if he needs to be playing more central, certainly can beat his man, but simply can’t produce a decent cross. Also agree that Ally Love more effective off bench although as ever never hides and gives total commitment, always!

Goodie got zero protection today, some of the challenges he received were pretty poor, as ever though he just gets on with it and had a terrific game today, really getting back to his best at the right time... class act!

Have to say too, when did Scott Rumsby last have a bad game? Pound for pound possibly Danny Lennon best signing,  he simply defends, just defends, does what it says on the tin!

26 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I disagree slightly with one or two who didn’t think Wylde contributed much, I thought he had a very decent first half; agree faded badly in second ... fitness maybe and being on right side didn’t help.

Issues are still McNiff giving away possession pretty constantly and Johnstone’s awful final ball, I am beginning to wonder if he needs to be playing more central, certainly can beat his man, but simply can’t produce a decent cross. Also agree that Ally Love more effective off bench although as ever never hides and gives total commitment, always!

Goodie got zero protection today, some of the challenges he received were pretty poor, as ever though he just gets on with it and had a terrific game today, really getting back to his best at the right time... class act!

Have to say too, when did Scott Rumsby last have a bad game? Pound for pound possibly Danny Lennon best signing,  he simply defends, just defends, does what it says on the tin!

Rumsby has been probably the most consistent performer for the last year and a half, I was very sceptical when we signed him but have no complaints about him. 

Rumsby has been brilliant for us, mr consistency, even when he is on his arse he still manages to head the ball away.

That have me a right good chuckle during the game. He has been Mr Dependable since we signed him.

Can’t disagree with anything said above by any of the other Clyde fans. Lennon still seems to think McNiff is a good option at LB for this league where as everyone else sees our biggest weakness.

Despite some good performances across the board a stand out for me was Tom Lang, won nearly every long ball that game his way and once or twice he had to cover Howie out at the RB area and he stood his ground and defended brilliantly. Buzzing we have him back on loan as he is clearly good enough to be playing regularly with Dunfermline given their defensive issues.

Very decent game yesterday

That's certainly no the East Fife I remember over the decades. Fair play to Young, he's brought in a lot of players comfortable on the ball, move it around well, movement's good.

Only gripe for us was maybe in the second half our central midfield dropped off their's a little too deep which allowed them to control longer spells in the game, though they were still decent when pressed

Otherwise it's great to see us finally have near enough a full squad to choose from.  I wondered what Lang we'd get back but he answered that, like he'd never been away. Just a pity he will be again because a back 3 of him, Mr consistent Rumsby & the much improved Howie with Mitchell behind would be a really strong defence to build on.  Just a question of addressing the wingbacks.

We're at our best playing it quick one / two touch through midfield, need to do a bit more of that.  One move in the second half nearly ended in goal of the season !

But overall a good performance against a good team.  I don't get to see them as much as I'd like, but when I do, I don't recognize the comments on here about some of the lads

McNiff gives 100% every game.  Fine saying this and that, we'll who are you going to replace him with?  As for Johnstone's crosses, you mean while he's surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders as he's been picked out as a danger? I don't think his crosses are that bad, in fact there were several decent crosses generally waiting for someone to gamble more

Smith always puts in a good shift when I see him & generally wins you something.  The one on one....when he's running onto a ball at the corner of a box that the keeper was always getting to first? 

All our lads give everything they've got. Might be an idea to remember how far we've come in only a couple years.  And if you are picking out individuals, make sure I didn't catch you questioning why we weren't battering the door down to watch a Barry Ferguson side....

The marking between Love and McNiff for the East Fife goal is quite something. Lovely finish for the equaliser and a fantastic ball in by Rankin for the winner. The Wallace chance at the death for East Fife was actually a really nice passage of play.

Hopefully the lad got the drum back from the over zealous yellow jacket.
Hopefully the steward puts his foot through it first before it's returned.

The drumming was woeful.

As least it should be complimentary to some singing

It's never a good idea to give a toddler a drum for Christmas.