Referees' Home Towns

Strathman

Many years ago places like Balfron, Bonkle and Newport on Tay were associated with the home towns of referees in Scotland.  

I am sure many on here would get the referees associated with these places in a quiz.

There were a few anomalies in that a Glasgow ref was never Glasgow. It would be Clarkston, Newlands or even Queens Park.

An Aberdeeen or Edinburgh ref would be Aberdeen or Edinburgh. There was a referee called Sandy Roy who lived in Westhill but he was always Sandy Roy, Aberdeen.  

Now you have no idea where the referees are from. All the old ones have retired and we never hear where the new ones are from.

Is there a Grade 1 Aberdeen or Inverness referee on the list these days for example?

Alan Freeland was the last  ref Aberdeen I recall the last Inverness top flight ref I remember was Ward Balfour but that was fifty years ago.

I don't think they stopped saying where refs are from in England I wonder why they did it here?

1 hour ago, Strathman said:

Many years ago places like Balfron, Bonkle and Newport on Tay were associated with the home towns of referees in Scotland.  

I am sure many on here would get the referees associated with these places in a quiz.

There were a few anomalies in that a Glasgow ref was never Glasgow. It would be Clarkston, Newlands or even Queens Park.

An Aberdeeen or Edinburgh ref would be Aberdeen or Edinburgh. There was a referee called Sandy Roy who lived in Westhill but he was always Sandy Roy, Aberdeen.  

Now you have no idea where the referees are from. All the old ones have retired and we never hear where the new ones are from.

Is there a Grade 1 Aberdeen or Inverness referee on the list these days for example?

Alan Freeland was the last  ref Aberdeen I recall the last Inverness top flight ref I remember was Ward Balfour but that was fifty years ago.

I don't think they stopped saying where refs are from in England I wonder why they did it here?

To stop OF bigots from launching stuff through their living room windows is my best bet.

2 hours ago, Strathman said:

Image result for mick mccarthy gif"

In the days before Google Maps, there used to be something exotic about some of these place names, and hours of fun was had perusing  road atlases working out exactly where Wilsontown, Bonkle, Balfron et al were.

The usual clue, if you had never heard of the place, was that it was some post-industrial dormitory town somewhere near the M8 or A71. Further research upon locating it would reveal a prominent lodge, an annual flute march and segregated schools.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I remember going to an Elgin v Someonemoreteuchtery FC in the Highland League when I was about 14 or somesuch and my Maths teacher was a lino.

Fucking pelters he got was unbelievable.

Pretty sure Sandy Roy was from Elgin originally.

That name rings a bell for some reason. How long ago is it since he was a ref?

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

1980s. He still on the go as head of refs in Aberdeenshire. 

No idea why it rings a bell, then. My days at Pittodrie/Borough Briggs were long gone by the time the 1980s were a thing.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Was he a campanologist in his spare time?

5 minutes? You'll have to up your game...

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

The Falkirk fans still absolutely fume about him correctly disallowing a late equaliser when he was the linesman in the 1997 Scottish Cup final.