Aberdeen v Kilmarnock

As others have said what a roller coaster of emotions that was. Poor first half from Dons and McInnes got formation all wrong. Brave decision to go with 3 changes at half time but they worked a treat. Bounce for first goal was great but was exceeded by the one for the 4th. Thought Kennedy was great from half time on along with Logan and Campbell when they came on. McGinn was excellent all game.

Considine is a god.

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Some magnificently hilarious attempts at defending for those goals. 

Kilmarnock leaving probably the best header - headerer? - of the ball on the pitch completely unmarked six yards out for the first equaliser.

Campbell's tackle, Considine's attempted block and then Devlin's ridiculous attempt at a clearance for Kabamba's goal.

Findlay nonsensically wiping out Ferguson for the penalty after Kilmarnock generously allowed him to hit the byline with minimum resistance. 

The magnificent own goal winner. 

Strange thing, it was two very organised sides - both struggled to create too many clearcut opportunities in their spells of ascendancy in each half.

It all just went a bit crazy in extra time - and maybe both playing their second game in four days contributed to that...........along with neither fancying pens (which we have actually enjoyed under McInnes until Tynecastle in this season's LCQF).

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Some magnificently hilarious attempts at defending for those goals. 

Kilmarnock leaving probably the best header - headerer? - of the ball on the pitch completely unmarked six yards out for the first equaliser.

Campbell's tackle, Considine's attempted block and then Devlin's ridiculous attempt at a clearance for Kabamba's goal.

Findlay nonsensically wiping out Ferguson for the penalty after Kilmarnock generously allowed him to hit the byline with minimum resistance. 

The magnificent own goal winner. 

You can add Mckennas feeble attempt at a header clearance for the first goal. Thought at the time it was weak, and the highlights confirm it for me.

Coupled with him being bullied by the thumb for celtics first goal on Sunday, these incidents are not going to impress potential championship clubs in Ingerland where it’s a much tougher and relentless league. 

Incredible game to be at obviously , but also it’s a really really good result for the Dons. Killie have a decent side there on a similar level to Aberdeen’s and are a better side than Motherwell for me, who are currently level for 3rd. 
Findlay was there MOM until his crazy tackle for the pen and would take Brophy and Power in a heartbeat. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
14 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Strange thing, it was two very organised sides - both struggled to create too many clearcut opportunities in their spells of ascendancy in each half.

It all just went a bit crazy in extra time - and maybe both playing their second game in four days contributed to that...........along with neither fancying pens (which we have actually enjoyed under McInnes until Tynecastle in this season's LCQF).

Thought Joe was pretty slow for the first 2 Killie goals, and the 3rd was effectively an own goal from Devlin.

That was balanced out of course by Killie's criminal defending for our first goal, and then Findlay's truly ridiculous brainfart for the penalty. 

T'was weird, indeed. 

You can add Mckennas feeble attempt at a header clearance for the first goal. Thought at the time it was weak, and the highlights confirm it for me. Coupled with him being bullied by the thumb for celtics first goal on Sunday, these incidents are not going to impress potential championship clubs in Ingerland where it’s a much tougher and relentless league. 

Actually think McKenna has improved a lot of late after his early season heid in clouds stuff - and watching the first goal again, Main didn’t cover himself in glory either, as he could have dealt with it, or at least tried to.

Even on Sunday, McKenna was fouled by Griffiths, and though you could argue he could have done better given his size advantage, he actually then recovered quite well and was a bit unlucky that the ball broke unkindly when he did.

Mikey ‘Scotland’ Devlin has had even more bombscares in the few matches he’s played and he’s the luckiest guy in the world that his latest rick didn’t put us out last night - albeit Campbell also had a ludicrous brainfart at the 3rd to blot a very good performance otherwise.

Campbell, tackle aside, was absolutely brilliant. Best I’ve seen him. His passing from the base of the midfield was exactly what we weren’t getting in the first half.

McGinn got into good positions but was poor with his decision making. A few poor shots.

Cosgrove was pretty rotten when he came on, but calm as you like for the pen, and involved in Kennedy’s goal.

Kennedy was a pest and you feel that’s a big moment for him.

I still can’t really believe what happened. It feels like a fever-dream. Andrew fucking Considine. How many massive moments does he come up with for us. He’s an icon. A pillar of the modern game. I love him. If every player in our team had his attitude and desire, we’d be top of the league.

IMG_3822.jpg

Also, this is an iconic pose.

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Actually think McKenna has improved a lot of late after his early season heid in clouds stuff - and watching the first goal again, Main didn’t cover himself in glory either, as he could have dealt with it, or at least tried to.

Even on Sunday, McKenna was fouled by Griffiths, and though you could argue he could have done better given his size advantage, he actually then recovered quite well and was a bit unlucky that the ball broke unkindly when he did.

Mikey ‘Scotland’ Devlin has had even more bombscares in the few matches he’s played and he’s the luckiest guy in the world that his latest rick didn’t put us out last night - albeit Campbell also had a ludicrous brainfart at the 3rd to blot a very good performance otherwise.

Yeah McKenna has been pretty steady and had some decent games recently. I’m looking at the perspective of prospective teams scouts and these 2 incidents cost goals that he should have dealt with.

What I like about Devlin is he tries to do things at a good tempo on the ball, even if it doesn’t always come off where as McKenna is slow and safe in possession most of the time.

For what its worth I thought Findlay looked a class act until his crazy tackle for the penalty. Can only recall 1 other mistake he made when he misjudged a high ball and it resulted in a corner for us.

Anyway , none of the above are as good as Andy, obviously!

Edited by big al

Pretty sure Findlay slipped into that tackle. It was still clumsy, but it's not like he intended to breenge in at 100 miles an hour for a ball he couldn't win.

Like the posters above, I thought he had been superb up until that point. He is going to make us a fortune in the summer if we play our cards right.

34 minutes ago, resk said:

The stupid thing about Findlay's foul is that, from what I can tell, Ferguson had just flipped the ball lamely up in the air. It must have been close to going over the line before he got wiped.

I was wondering this too, because if it had gone out then it shouldn't be a penalty.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I was wondering this too, because if it had gone out then it shouldn't be a penalty.

I don't think it was out when Findlay came hammering in. It was heading over the bar though, which makes the tackle even more ridiculous. 

Findlay didn't slip either. He was committed to flying in even before Ferguson crossed the ball. A truly awful lunge that injured Ferguson and that correctly saw Findlay yellow carded. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

RedTV commentators were saying it was the sub that committed the foul, but it was the otherwise exemplary Findlay.  We were much better second half, as we basically needed to be, but he was like a magnet for every cross or through ball until the equaliser - albeit some of the delivery was poor after nice build up play.

Think Holt on Sportsound reckoned putting on an extra defender in these situations can be counter-productive............Findlay had been so assured, but suddenly he's pulled out of the middle having to be the one that engages Ferguson, and makes an erse of it.

Plus presumably Brophy is one of your penalty takers should it have come to that?

Edited by tarapoa

13 hours ago, big al said:

Yeah McKenna has been pretty steady and had some decent games recently. I’m looking at the perspective of prospective teams scouts and these 2 incidents cost goals that he should have dealt with.

What I like about Devlin is he tries to do things at a good tempo on the ball, even if it doesn’t always come off where as McKenna is slow and safe in possession most of the time.

For what its worth I thought Findlay looked a class act until his crazy tackle for the penalty. Can only recall 1 other mistake he made when he misjudged a high ball and it resulted in a corner for us.

Anyway , none of the above are as good as Andy, obviously!

If you're giving me the choice of McKenna's slow and safe pass or Devlin's aimless punt then I'm taking the slow, safe option every time.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

RedTV commentators were saying it was the sub that committed the foul, but it was the otherwise exemplary Findlay.  We were much better second half, as we basically needed to be, but he was like a magnet for every cross or through ball until the equaliser - albeit some of the delivery was poor after nice build up play.

Think Holt on Sportsound reckoned putting on an extra defender in these situations can be counter-productive............Findlay had been so assured, but suddenly he's pulled out of the middle having to be the one that engages Ferguson, and makes an erse of it.

Plus presumably Brophy is one of your penalty takers should it have come to that?

Yes, the substitution was a terrible decision from Dyer. Findlay ended up pushed wide having handled Cosgrove so well for the previous 70 minutes. Brophy is indeed our main penalty taker, and Millen was the only other player on the park who I'd trust to actually score one.