St Mirren vs Motherwell

The_Craig

What a terrific first half performance that was, only to have the most defensive and brutal second half performance. What a downgrade Hodson & Famewo are on McGinn & McLoughlin. Defending a lead is all well and good but only going near the opposition when they get to the 18 yard box is crazy. The set up in second half was atrocious. Jakubiak was our best player first half, tremendous player, taken off after 60 mins to be replaced by Morias who was nothing short of awful.
Got away with one tonight.
Anyone who thinks Hodson is better than McGinn needs Specsavers. However I think Famewo does a good job. Got to agree Morias is simply nowhere near good enough and I'll raise you Andreu.

4 hours ago, NorthBank said:
6 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:
What a terrific first half performance that was, only to have the most defensive and brutal second half performance. What a downgrade Hodson & Famewo are on McGinn & McLoughlin. Defending a lead is all well and good but only going near the opposition when they get to the 18 yard box is crazy. The set up in second half was atrocious. Jakubiak was our best player first half, tremendous player, taken off after 60 mins to be replaced by Morias who was nothing short of awful.
Got away with one tonight.

Anyone who thinks Hodson is better than McGinn needs Specsavers. However I think Famewo does a good job. Got to agree Morias is simply nowhere near good enough and I'll raise you Andreu.

Funnily none of the usual appraisal of Obika? 😂

Agreed though that Andreu needs to take himself so far to f**k. For a guy who is so technically sound and had such a lovely touch, I've never seen a player sky so many shots in such a short period, no composure whatsoever.

7 hours ago, welldaft said:

Please do. In fact I would consider paying you to f**k off and never ever darken a Motherwell thread again. You are more depressing than that first half tonight. Let that fucking sink in ya walloper. 

Well done St Mirren. Played well 1st half as much as we defended like amateurs. Hartley is done at this level for us. Like the big guy but his time is up. Big Bevis is not much better. Neither should be near our team again. 

Still actually quite upbeat after the 2nd half. O’Hara was excellent and should start for us. Tony Watt was good also and took his goal well. He could have hid but fought hard and may well prove to be a decent addition. Also felt Tait played well so some positives to take from the game. Sore one for Caroll and likely to be out for a while. Another injury we could do without. 

Pretty awful penalties and as soon as I saw Hylton step forward I headed for the exit. Disappointed O’Hara did not take a penalty. 

I am actually not that fussed playing Aberdeen (or Killie) as we would probably lose on current form anyway and even if we get through will get one of the old firm most likely in a semi and it will be like Groundhog Day. If offered the choice I would take top 4 over a semi final. That said we need to up our game big time to stay in top 4 but I just feel that the game tonight might help rather than hinder in that regard. 

I wouldn't need paid, I'm honestly done with it all. All you ever get from supporting Motherwell is let down and disappointed. That was an absolute disgrace last night and there were NO positives to take from that whatsoever. No doubt some of our fans will look back at it in misty eyed awe because "it was a great spectacle" like they do with the 6-5 defeat to Aberdeen in 1999 but not me. To be 1-4 down at home to St.Mirren in a cup match is fucking shameful and should see heads rolling. The penalty shootout loss was inevitable and just summed us up, not just as a team but as a club - we are serial bottle merchants.

No doubt we'll win against St.Mirren next Tuesday in the lesser game but right now I don't give a f**k, I'm done with it. The Cups are all important for clubs like us and we blow it time and time again, year after year.

Edited by MJC

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Motherwell's three 2nd half goals were all jammier than an explosion in a Robertson's factory.

I keep reading this comment from St Mirren fans. You had a comical own goal and the fact you were facing the quite possibly the worst centre half pairing in recent times at Motherwell going in your favour. 
enjoy your victory and good luck in the next round, but on the basis of our performance and pressure 2nd half we deserved to take the game to ET. 

I wouldn't need paid, I'm honestly done with it all. All you ever get from supporting Motherwell is let down and disappointed. That was an absolute disgrace last night and there were NO positives to take from that whatsoever. No doubt some of our fans will look back at it in misty eyed awe because "it was a great spectacle" like they do with the 6-5 defeat to Aberdeen in 1999 but not me. To be 1-4 down at home to St.Mirren in a cup match is fucking shameful and should see heads rolling. The penalty shootout loss was inevitable and just summed us up, not just as a team but as a club - we are serial bottle merchants.
No doubt we'll win against St.Mirren next Tuesday in the lesser game but right now I don't give a f**k, I'm done with it. The Cups are all important for clubs like us and we blow it time and time again, year after year.

Thank f**k, cheerio

I keep reading this comment from St Mirren fans. You had a comical own goal and the fact you were facing the quite possibly the worst centre half pairing in recent times at Motherwell going in your favour. 
enjoy your victory and good luck in the next round, but on the basis of our performance and pressure 2nd half we deserved to take the game to ET.

Expel us from the competition IMO.

What a fucking laugh it was, obviously disappointed to be out but the best £12 I've spent all year.

Clown car stuff from us in the first half, no surprise to not see Hartley and Mugabi in the second, as much as Hartley screams away like a maniac, he's not aggressive enough a defender. Running backwards from Obika was absolutely murder and he absence of Gallagher was astonishingly noticeable. 

Foley, Obika and Jakubiak were absolutely brilliant for St Mirren, and truth be told, I thought taking off Jakubiak had shades of John Hughes hooking Stokes in the Hibs 6-6 game. 

Considering I assumed we were going to continue to get battered in the second half and was genuinely concerned at it getting embarrassing, fair fucks to Watt, Tait, Donnelly, Carroll and O'Hara for dragging us back into it. Donnelly turning into prime rib and strolling about pinging passes and taking the ball off folk was amazing. O'Hara running about bodying c***s and screaming louder than any human alive for headers was remarkable.

Shite penalties from us, had no faith in us beating Hladky and in the end disappointed that we didn't even make him work that hard. 

Fair fucks to the Buddies like.

Glad I decided to go last night that was a rollercoaster.. certainly worth £12. Watching the highlights Obika took his goals really well, he's a good finisher when he doesn't have time to think about it. Thought Goodwin got it all wrong after HT, he obviously was thinking of Friday night when taking off Jakubiak and Durmus but Morias and Andreu were not what we needed. Obika was dead on his feet from about 70 mins and we were just punting the ball up to him whenever we won it back, Motherwell were getting it back on the half way line and we couldn't get out our half.

Goodwin clearly doesn't rate Mullen and Chabbi isn't fit but why not use the 4th sub when we are playing 120mins with another game in 3 days time.

Main thing is we got through though and a home tie to get to Hampden.

Jak and Obika look like a good combination up front, hopefully Obika recovers in time for Friday night.

P.S - Hladky has faced 9 penalties in shootouts for us and only conceded 2 goals!

Edited by irvine_buddie

Listening to the commentary on the radio last night, I genuinely thought the second half was a St Mirren bottle-crashing, shitting the bed, self-inflicted act of keeching our drawers... didn’t realise at least two of the Motherwell goals were so jammy. Bottom line though, if we’d scored them, and had actually won on pens, we wouldn’t give a flying fcuk how ‘jammy’ they were. Fair play to our boys for not suffering a complete arse-collapse and losing 5-4.

Edited by pozbaird

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I thought there would have been a cracking crowd given the prices.

Not too bad considering the weather and the amount of games this month. 

I think by the end of February we'll have played 8 games. That's alot to fork out for. 

11 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Hard to tell about the first, but could all 4 Well goals have been deflections?

First one was a clean strike. St Mirren keeper didn't move quick enough to cover the near post.

Don't think there was a deflection on the 3rd either. Saints defender swiped and missed allowing the ball to go straight in the bottom corner.

Aye, first was definitely not and from my vantage behind Aarons in the east his cross /shot just spun up off the turf and wrong footed everyone.

Flapky's Cammy Bell impression for the fourth goal deserves high commendation.