St Mirren vs Motherwell

The_Craig

I'd be surprised if tonights game isn't on tbh. Even on Saturday, the park was playable upon inspection it was more a case that the forecast was shocking so a decision was made off the back of that. I'm no Michael Fish bt it doesn't look as bad for tonight and it's not rained properly in a wee bit.

No inspection is planned yet from what I've heard.

2 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Planning on driving tonight if it's on, how easy is it to get parked near the away end?

I'd recommend parking where the Fire Station is, next to the Tesco/Domino's/Greggs row of shops.  From there, you're across the main road and then round to the away end.  Not much more than a 5-minute walk to the ground and means you've got a chance of a quick getaway if you're heading back onto the motorway.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I'd recommend parking where the Fire Station is, next to the Tesco/Domino's/Greggs row of shops.  From there, you're across the main road and then round to the away end.  Not much more than a 5-minute walk to the ground and means you've got a chance of a quick getaway if you're heading back onto the motorway.

Cheers!

I'd be surprised if this is on tbh, it's absolutely howling wind and rain in Glasgow the now, and I'd imagine Motherwell is much the same.

Sun is out in Motherwell the now but the showers are moving through. Can't see it being off.

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'd be surprised if this is on tbh, it's absolutely howling wind and rain in Glasgow the now, and I'd imagine Motherwell is much the same.

Just looked out of my office and it's nearly pitch black with the clouds and its pouring down. I do t know whether it would be worth playing the game today at this rate.

32 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Serious question right, how can you no just cover the pitch?

What is the techincal explanation lolz?

We did have rain covers for a while iirc, when the pitch was really bad. I seem to remember the slope caused some issues with the water all collecting in one corner, though, which just created a different problem. (I'd imagine that restricting the light and airflow to the grass for any length of time also just starts to kill it off, even ouwith the growing season.)

EDIT: Reference to "newly purchased" rain covers here, from 2008: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/33979/Steelmen-to-rip-up-turf-to-make-pitch-playable

Edited by Gallus Numpty

30 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Serious question right, how can you no just cover the pitch?

What is the techincal explanation lolz?

Various reasons, #1 being, quite obviously, you can't cover the pitch when it's windy. The covers would end up miles away.
I'm sure there was a video, or article somewhere about how the use of covers was a last resort, as overall they actually cause more harm than good to the pitch. Maybe I'm making that up, I'll have a search.

3 minutes ago, SCDave said:

Various reasons, #1 being, quite obviously, you can't cover the pitch when it's windy. The covers would end up miles away.
I'm sure there was a video, or article somewhere about how the use of covers was a last resort, as overall they actually cause more harm than good to the pitch. Maybe I'm making that up, I'll have a search.

Can’t imagine that heavy covers which deny the surface light and air can be that good for a pitch. Fair play to MFC, their surface used to be a joke, now it’s top notch.

2 minutes ago, Hammerheid said:

I'm surprised any game would get called off considering the massive slope at Fir Park, it could be raining bags of cement and they would still roll of that pitch....

A big slope at Fir Park you said?

3F96171F-8637-4A34-90FE-357055387FBD.jpeg

24 minutes ago, SCDave said:

I don't think it would take an expert engineer to work out a way of avoiding them blowing away!

A quick search I found this from Tranmere to get a game on again Man Utd a while back.

Like I said I'm sure there is a very good reason maybe one of the above!

image.png.0187fc10bae0f7185277590498d7548d.png