St Mirren vs Motherwell

The_Craig

On 10/02/2020 at 12:33, Archie McSquackle said:
On 10/02/2020 at 10:40, pozbaird said:
Back in the day, there was a fence right down the middle of the North Bank, right where the middle logo on the roof is in my photo. To the left of the fence, the home support were located, the away support to the right. There were some tasty exchanges across that fence down the years. The North Bank was fcuked the day the seats went in. The Main Stand was a hundred years past its sell-by date, and the new Love Street end stand was a freezing cold wind tunnel. As much as I miss Love Street for the emotional ties, the away fans had by far, the best deal.

Ah, memories of a midweek game and an altercation between Stevie Kirk and Billy Abercrombie for which they both got sent off (allegations of spitting by Kirk). Abercrombie refused to leave so the ref sent him 4 times and he ended up with a 12 game ban. Helped liven up a fairly drab (1-1 draw (IIRC).

Think we actually lost that night but i may be wrong and you might be right. 

21 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

When’s the last time we had 2 home games in a row called off? 

Tbf , it's been pishing down for about 3 weeks now. 

Forecast is for rain and sleet for today and tomorrow. Looking unlikely I'd say. 

What's the script if it's off tomorrow?  Do we try again next midweek (a matter of days before the Quarter-Final date) or do we use the time reserved for the Quarter-Final (next Saturday night) to play this and then, whoever wins, fit in the game against Killie/Aberdeen when the QF Replay was scheduled?

1 hour ago, Desp said:

What's the script if it's off tomorrow?  Do we try again next midweek (a matter of days before the Quarter-Final date) or do we use the time reserved for the Quarter-Final (next Saturday night) to play this and then, whoever wins, fit in the game against Killie/Aberdeen when the QF Replay was scheduled?

I'm not sure. What I am hoping is for St Mirren to decide that playing in the scottish cup is not worth their time and potential fixture congestion so they give up

Then we would have to postpone the quarter final as Fir Park would.still be water logged.

Edit: the actual rules, and specifically the rules about postpoment and replays in rule 20 can be found down below:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-cup/format-rules/

From my understanding, if the game is postponed tomorrow, then they should be looking at playing on Wednesday 19th. If it can still not be played then the Scottish cup would override the Premier ship match during the weekend. I might be wrong so I would suggest looking it up.

Edited by Phillips455

18 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

What I am hoping is for St Mirren to decide that playing in the scottish cup is not worth their time and potential fixture congestion so they give up

I hope the same. We need to concentrate on the league, IMHO.

2 hours ago, Mitch said:

I read that 25/02 was pencilled in if the replay fails an inspection.
I would say it is unlikely it will go ahead with the current weather and forecast.

Granted I am sitting in Edinburgh, but it would be rather farcical if this game is off tomorrow. The weather through here today has been windy with only the odd shower. The wind should actually help with the surface. 

Forecast for tomorrow in Motherwell is strong winds up to late afternoon and light rain. Again if that is on a saturated pitch then fine. But I suspect much like Saturday the pitch will be playable only this time the forecast for KO is decent by comparison to recent weather, so rain going off and winds up to 20mph. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Granted I am sitting in Edinburgh, but it would be rather farcical if this game is off tomorrow. The weather through here today has been windy with only the odd shower. The wind should actually help with the surface. 

Forecast for tomorrow in Motherwell is strong winds up to late afternoon and light rain. Again if that is on a saturated pitch then fine. But I suspect much like Saturday the pitch will be playable only this time the forecast for KO is decent by comparison to recent weather, so rain going off and winds up to 20mph. 

The weather through here has been horrendous. Heavy showers all day and still pishing down at the moment.

If it remains dry for most of the day tomorrow, then there's a chance the game might go ahead.

Fingers crossed.🤞

5 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

I'm not sure. What I am hoping is for St Mirren to decide that playing in the scottish cup is not worth their time and potential fixture congestion so they give up

Then we would have to postpone the quarter final as Fir Park would.still be water logged.

Edit: the actual rules, and specifically the rules about postpoment and replays in rule 20 can be found down below:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-cup/format-rules/

From my understanding, if the game is postponed tomorrow, then they should be looking at playing on Wednesday 19th. If it can still not be played then the Scottish cup would override the Premier ship match during the weekend. I might be wrong so I would suggest looking it up.

We have Hearts on Friday night so cant see wed night being an option. 

Oh and if you can prove 100% that you will beat the Accies, Ross C and Hearts in the next few weeks then the cup tie is all your.

Edited by tam the bud

Rules are that if postponed again tomorrow it must be retried each successive Monday & Wednesday until completed. So the next attempt would be Monday 24th February (even though Motherwell play on Saturday) and if off again Wednesday 26th.

However clubs can mutually agree to try on Tuesdays instead of Wednesdays - this is especially useful when you're already at a replay - so there should be nothing to stop them trying on Tuesday 25th then if necessary Wednesday 26th, and thus both retaining 2 clear days between their games. That said: if you were St Mirren might it suit to stick with Monday and so have 2 days rest while restricting Motherwell to just 1 days rest?

Although not provided for in the rules I'm sure trying again this Wednesday would be permitted. However why would St Mirren choose to give themselves only 1 days rest before a notable Premiership game v Hearts.

I seem to remember we had a similar situation back in about 1999 where we had something like 4 or 5 attempts to play Arbroath, the first game was abandoned up there at half time due to the wind (no gasps at the back) after Derek Townsley hit a cross from about the halfway line that sailed in. We then went to a replay that as I recall was postponed at least once.

We've also had the Monday match before when we drew Inverurie Locos under, I think, McGhee pt 1 and the snow kept getting the game called off up there until eventually the game was on a sleety, muddy Monday night.